Contact Pictures not showing up in stock text app

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
First off, is this a common issue since GB release for a lot of others? Since the update I no longer see my contacts pictures in the stock text messaging like pre-GB. They appear fine under contacts, I have my regular phone contacts linked up with my facebook contacts via the facebook for android app, so whichever contacts I have on the phone and fb show their fb picture under contacts and pre-gb I was able to see them fine under text messaging. This is no longer the case and I am wondering if there's an easy fix for this. I would prefer not to use the built in integrated contacts facebook app preinstalled on the phone as it sucks!

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
My son and I both have the Charge. He is having a similar issue with his Facebook contacts not showing the pictures any longer. When he looks at his contact list the FB pictures are gone and replaced with the ghost picture icon. He's tried everything to get them back with no luck. Fear, were you ever able to fix your issue?

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
My son and I both have the Charge. He is having a similar issue with his Facebook contacts not showing the pictures any longer. When he looks at his contact list the FB pictures are gone and replaced with the ghost picture icon. He's tried everything to get them back with no luck. Fear, were you ever able to fix your issue?

Not as of yet, Honestly been too busy to really look into it deeper.. I just know it worked perfectly fine before the update lol. If I do find an answer or resolution to this problem I'll be sure to post it here immediately. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

kulisics

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I had almost exactly the same problem, and since I just discovered the nature of the problem and how to solve it, I thought that I'd make the effort to register and post something. I hunted around on the web for a day and didn't find any answers---many people appear to suffer with a similar problem---so I think that this might help a lot of people.

First, I'm using Android 4, ICS, on a Samsung Galaxy S3. For some reason, after I installed GoSMS Pro, setup the Facebook account, and started tinkering with my contacts, the contact photos in both the stock Messaging application and GoSMS Pro disappeared. I could still see the contact photos in the Contacts application, but both SMS applications showed ghosts for the images for all but a couple of contacts. The three or four contacts with photos seemed to have nothing in common. Some were people who had no photo in Facebook. One was someone with only a Facebook profile picture and no picture on my phone or in Google Contacts.

When I was using the stock Messaging application, I tried to edit some contact information directly from the menu in the conversation thread, and I found that the application appeared to be using the contact entry from my SIM card. I think that on my previous phones I had set up the SIM card as contact memory for a long time, and even after I started using the phone memory on a previous Android phone, I think that I synchronized the SIM card and phone entries a few times. (I'm not sure; my old phone has a broken screen, so I can't check if the older Android version had a function to synchronize phone contacts with the SIM card.) I knew from previous experience with the SIM card that the SIM card would not store photos as part of its contact entries, so of course, if the messaging applications were consulting the SIM card for the contact information, then they would not have show photos for contacts found first on the SIM card. I deleted a SIM card entry that already existed on my phone and in Google contacts, and when I removed the SIM card entry for the person, the picture popped right up.

To make a long story short . . .

THE PROBLEM: Android 4 does not appear to let you select a contact source as the exclusive source of contact information for all applications---if you read the Contacts options carefully, you'll see that Contacts only allows you to select a source to display as opposed to exclusively access---and if you have a SIM card contact entry for a person, Android 4 appears to serve it first to the messaging applications.

THE SOLUTION: Switch Contacts to display from the SIM card, and remove the SIM card entries one by one. The images in other sources should appear in both GoSMS Pro and the stock Messaging application.

Thanks, and I hope that this helps someone.

lolliedoop

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys
just wanted to add my tuppence worth as this has just happened to me with my HTC Chacha, the FB icon stock photos disappeared with 36hrs of phone activation...I also discovered that people weren't receiving my MMS so went to reset my mobile networks,and the only code that was "out" of them all that wasnt correct for my services provider was the PAP code,after resetting this and switch on/off not only did picture msg work,but all my FB icons stock photos reappeared etc...hope this can help others..worth while just making sure all the phones setup codes are in sync with the service provider!! i will also say that HTC help centre were also in touch within 48hrs of contacting them via their site!
LolliedoopO:)