Advanced Task Killer a joke?

mrsteacher82

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I fear I've fallen into the hype of having Advanced Task Killer installed on my rooted Charge. I'm starting to think this app is just a joke and doesn't really do anything.

I turn off the mobile data when I'm at work and I have ATK set to kill apps every half hour. Sooooo, why during this time is ATK showing apps running like Facebook that require the data to be on??

Yes, my phone is rooted and I have gone through and renamed the extensions of nearly all the junk apps that I don't use and don't want. My battery life is still really sucky and dies before the day is over.

So to sum up, is Advanced Task Killer crap, and how can I improve my battery life?

(Go easy on me, I'm not very good with the technical stuff)

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
ATK is helping to kill your battery because it's killing processes that the OS/ROM want/needs. So ATK kills them and the OS starts them, ATK kills them and the OS starts them again.

Unless they have created some serious Oh Wow feature I'm not aware of, ATK has not been necessary since Eclair. Froyo and Gingerbread were both major advancements in the back end of Android. Let the OS do it's job. If you have the network off, Face book won't use any resources, it will just sit in memory until it's called on again. Same with other apps.

The best battery practices are, as with all smart phones, reduce your sync times for all apps that sync data. Can you poll for email once an hour instead of every 5 min?

Use data reliant widgets sparingly, The more often your widgets have to go to the network, the more battery you will use.

Use Wi-Fi over 3/4g when possible. The Wi-Fi radio uses less power.

Be a Radio Fascist: Turn off GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and anything else (4g) when you are not using it. A powered off radio uses no power! ;) Turn them on when you need them and then turn them off again when you're done.

And please, remove ATK from your phone.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Chocu1a