Droid Charge: Damaged SD card Error / Won't Mount - Fix??

UltiMatDan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
So in short my Droid Charge's SD card is screwed up.

I keep getting the message Damaged SD Card message in my notifications and I click it every time to format but then it doesnt do anything. When I try to view my photo gallery it says the sd card is blank or that there is no sd card. It wont let me use the camera because theres no sd card.

I'm rooted running Tweaked 3.0 with the latest FP5 updates after unrooting back to stock in order to get them. Tried to Odin back to stock a few times and then reflashing Tweaked a few times and still the same thing. Did factory/data reset, cache wipe, dalvik wipe a thousand times as well.

I am able to mount the sd card briefly in ClockworkMod Recovery, to view the files on the sd card but then about a minute or less later the sd card seems to unmount itself and becomes unrecognizable. Same for when I connect the phone via USB to my Windows 7 PC. If I pull out the physical sd card from the device, put it back in, hit connect to storage...the PC will recognize it for about a minute basically teasing me, letting me transfer a couple small files...and then unmounts itself and stops being read. Because of this I cant seem to partition the sd card in Windows 7 nor can I get it to complete and Check Disk.

I even bit the bullet while trying to format the sd card in CWM, and then while connect to the PC and I cant even get the card to format...

Obviously I'd prefer to some how save all the files on there before having to format if possible.

Tried searching around the forums but nothing seems to be similar to my problem. The ONLY thing I can come up with for the cause was that I mistakenly flashed the charge.PIT file while flashing Tweaked 3 in Odin. Not sure if thats the cause...

Any help and suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

tedbearclaw

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Damaged Sd card Error / Wont Mount - Fix??

I had the same issue as per vzw sd card slot faulty. If you have a spare device check to see if it reads your sd that will rule out a bad card

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Android Central Forums

UltiMatDan

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Ya I tried using an SD adapter that held the micro SD card, put that directly into my laptop's SD card slot and still had the same experience...it briefly reads and mounts...where i have enough time to dig few a couple folders on there and drag a couple small text docs off...then stops working. Still cant seem to format either in the command prompt, regular windows 7 interface, or clockworkmod recovery.

I also tried it in my Transformer Prime tablet and it shows that theres a micro sd card in there but says that its empty.

briannarmiller

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Mine is doing the same thing. It was working fine about 20 minutes ago and I dont know whats wrong with it. I've dropped it some but it's never done this before and I havent dropped it any today.. What do I do? Please help!

DionsGirl

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

Well I tried the restore lost data from sd card and it's telling to install sd card first. What do i do? It's not even reading that its in. But in the notifications it's telling damaged sd card you may have to reformat it. Please help someonei don't want to loose pics or music.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Well I tried the restore lost data from sd card and it's telling to install sd card first. What do i do? It's not even reading that its in. But in the notifications it's telling damaged sd card you may have to reformat it. Please help someonei don't want to loose pics or music.

are you trying to recover it from the phone or are you using an adaptor?

Gmade12

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

My card is doing the same. I can't go to my gallery. I can't use my camera. And it wont. let me listen to my music. It won'tlet me change anything in my settings for my CD card what do I do.

Raven2099

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

same issue with a rotted nook....

sd card will freaze and can't dl, install, delete, anything...

any solutions?

Bhaskar G

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

same issues,,,,,,followed by abbove users,,,,? sd card damaged, not to format, not to mount, no sd card,,,,,,but i want lost data from sd card.

Emmanuel Marabillo

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

I have just try this.. on my tablet i have 2 device sd card working on my phone.. but not working in my tablet.... now wandering try to scan my sdcard on theres 1 virus i clean it and now working... this only workd on when comp reads the sd card......

mukundrathod111

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site

I think I Got it Finally.
Recovering Data is not the solution Not even Formatting your SD card.
I have the same problem after some days it doesn't load some Apps in Android when i check it in the settings it shows "DAMAGED SD CARD"
I tried to connect with SD CARD Adapter slot in my Laptop but still couldn't detect and it asked to Format it.
I tried to fix it with "CHKDSK" utility but couldn't do it through windows.
But could do it with command prompt.
Not if you have the same problem follow.....

connect your SD card to computer.
open command prompt.
How ? .......
open run from start button
then type "cmd"
now type

chkdsk /X /F <SD card drive letter>:

If its K drive then

chkdsk /X /F K:

It will check your card and will repair it.
Have patience it will take around 10 min.
when it is done windows will detect your card evn your android phone.
Have a nice day......:D:D:D:D:D

Will Xorbtec

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I have a transcend SD that I'm trying to fix. Same problems as with all of you.
Booted up in Fedora, went to disk Utilities. Formatted it perfectly, no problems.:D
Back in Windows, I still had issues picking it up. :(
Once I got it Windows to see the damn card I ran cmd in admin. chkdsk /X /F U:
Windows returned:
"Windows has checked the file system and found no problems." :mad:

Solution. throw it away. stop the aggravation buy a new one. ;)

ryedawg

May 4, 2013
Visit site

mukundrathod111 you are a life saver, or least a irreplaceable picture and video saver

I did basically what you said from the cmd prompt

I used chkdsk G: /f

G: is my drive letter, I think that goes first, then whatever controls (ie /f)

Low and behold my phone is straight again!
I looked online for helpful chkdsk command breakdowns

thank you, thank you, thank you

PS currently backing all my stuff up to some cloud!

Luiker

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Hey mukundrathod111, thanks a lot! you saved my day. I had exactely this same problem (Android saying "card damaged" and offering to format, but won't succeed). For a couple of hours I was googling and trying to find a solution till I found your post! IT WORKED. I was about to through away my brand new 32GB SD card, you saved my day (and my pocket :))

ashren33sirio

May 22, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the same problem !
I was on the internet then my phone froze so I took the battery out left my phone off for a few min then turned it back on. Then I get a notification on the top of my screen saying damaged external sd card. I tried going to my gallery &' it says no sd card inserted. It says I can mount it &' when I do the same message comes up. I don't want it to delete my pictures or apps:(
Any help ?

androidfixit123

May 22, 2013
Visit site

hey i kept trying to fix my damaged sd card but nothing would work
until i finally tried something. all you need a another android phone and
your damaged sd card. and all you do is plug in the sd card in the other phone
it should say its damaged or something and all you do is touch it in the notifications
and it will as you to format it so do it and after its done put it back on your
original phone]
and there you have a working sd card
took me a while to figure this out and i can gaurantee it will work on yours.

Megan SorgLoveland

May 25, 2013
Visit site

mukundrathod111

Will this delete the contents of the card?? I have lots pics of my daughter and I am not looking forward to "reformatting" :-\

Violeta Chelm

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Did you tried it? Did this deleted your files?

- - - Updated - - -

Will this delete the contents of the card?

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

hi there,
to Violeta Chelm ,
to Megan SorgLoveland,

that process will delete all files....
after all - its a format process...clears away all things....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer