Samsung Charge Activation Bypass?

kmichaeld

May 3, 2011
Visit site
P.s. Costco byfar has the best deals on phones. Next months coupon phones will be awesome.

P.s.s. Costco does NOT sell used or refurb phones! Sorry were just here to take care of our members. Lol

I also used our D2 Global's hotspot to give the charge web :)

STLRampage1

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Firing it up with a T-Mob sim took me to the setup wizard and says invalid sim.

WA SEE here. :cool:

Used a live AT&T sim and it comes on and after about 20 second setup wizard shuts me down. I tried to kill setup wizard with task manager before it came up but wouldn't let me.

Last edited:

Osky23

May 5, 2011
Visit site
mines still not active. after messing with it for about 30 minutes i figured wth might as well try a diff sim and it worked. just running off wifi. i had it off droid 2 global but had to send it back to hq. now using wifi off xoom. :) NW BOO YAH!!

Hedgehog661

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Charge Activation bypass

Kinda late but to bypass the activation on the phones in my store, when it asks you to activate and starts calling *228, just immediately end the call and it will say activation failed.

Fail activation 3 times and it'll skip it and go on with the normal setup.

It worked a while for me until it recognized that there was no SIM card in which case it locked up again but just did the

Press the emergency call button.
Then dial *#83786633
Press the home key.

method and it bypasses the SIM activation for a while again.

Hope it helps for you if you still need it.

nick1020

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah dude explain.....Costco/ best buy has buying power! thats why they can get it to you cheaper than others.....thats OK ..if you feel better spending more money on your phone than great...I can understand I'm the same way for Clothes...;)

If you guys are really smart you would go to a Verizon Indirect retailer store. There they will negotiate prices, and most small retail stores will do absolutely anything to get you to buy a phone there. On several occasions I have gotten them to beat the best price I find at bestbuy, costco or wherever else. I have also had great success getting free cases and chargers thrown in. Good luck trying that at corporate Verizon, bestbuy or costco.

gregholla

May 23, 2011
Visit site
And by the way costco and best buy buyers, they also make you sign a secondary contract stating if you go over your bill either minuet/messaging they have the ability to charge you full retail for your devices. Also going through them for Warranty exchanges is pretty terrible. Not to mention most Retailers for insurance is a lot better for instance Diamond Wireless Protection, no refurbished phones..... sold me and lower deductibles...

whitenessj

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy "Black Tie insureance" is the same w/ new phones and lower deductibles. I didnt get my phone there though so i can not speak of how the service is on the claim end. I will leave that to someone else.

vangvace

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
When mine was activated in the store, they put the SIM in a LG revolution to activate that portion, then switched over to the Charge. The way they explained it is the Charge tries to activate everything at once instead of in a linear process.

Nza

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
And by the way costco and best buy buyers, they also make you sign a secondary contract stating if you go over your bill either minuet/messaging they have the ability to charge you full retail for your devices. Also going through them for Warranty exchanges is pretty terrible. Not to mention most Retailers for insurance is a lot better for instance Diamond Wireless Protection, no refurbished phones..... sold me and lower deductibles...

This is news to me. I was a best buy mobile lead for 2 years and now work at WA. I've read all the contract work we ask the customer to sign, nothing in the contract work says anything about best buy or costco charging retail price on the phone. The store collects money from the customer for the equipment only, that's why you can't pay your phone bill there, we're not tied in to the billing/usage loop, that's not what we do. The indirect retailers (bbym or WA) have no part of the billing terms, no hand in the monitoring of usage, and are not included in the disciplinary loop if you fail to operate within the terms of the agreement that you make with the wireless provider. The 2 chains in question do not honor manufacturers warranty outside of the normal store return policy, which makes sense, they sell the product, they don't make it. The manufacturer warranties their product. Insurance vs. service plans (there's a difference) that's a whole different can of worms. I say treat the $600 electronic device in your hands like a $600 electronic device and insurance isn't too big of an issue.

lane32x

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site

Bought my phone at Best Buy. And by "bought" I mean "I got the Fascinate last year, a month after release, for free, on Free Phone Friday"

Recently got upgraded to the Droid Charge BY VERIZON, not Best Buy, as part of the exchange/upgrade deal that they were working b/c of all of the Fascinate problems. So I had no problems using Verizon, even though I bought it somewhere else.

Also, one thing I found out is that some retailers claim to have lower/no deductible, however the reason they can claim that is because they won't even cover the things that Verizon' insurance will cover.

Example: Best Buy says they do not have a deductible. Verizon says there will be a deductible if you drop your phone in water. Best Buy will not warrant a phone that is fully submerged. Therefor I'd rather get my phone replaced with Verizon if I paid a 100 dollar deductible, rather than having a broken phone that won't be fixed if I was using Best Buy's protection.

Last edited:

hmafia

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Bought my phone at Best Buy. And by "bought" I mean "I got the Fascinate last year, a month after release, for free, on Free Phone Friday"

Recently got upgraded to the Droid Charge BY VERIZON, not Best Buy, as part of the exchange/upgrade deal that they were working b/c of all of the Fascinate problems. So I had no problems using Verizon, even though I bought it somewhere else.

Also, one thing I found out is that some retailers claim to have lower/no deductible, however the reason they can claim that is because they won't even cover the things that Verizon' insurance will cover.

Example: Best Buy says they do not have a deductible. Verizon says there will be a deductible if you drop your phone in water. Best Buy will not warrant a phone that is fully submerged. Therefor I'd rather get my phone replaced with Verizon if I paid a 100 dollar deductible, rather than having a broken phone that won't be fixed if I was using Best Buy's protection.

Uhmmm ur statement bout bestbuy insurance is nearly correct. Yet incorrect. With bestbuy insurance theres NO deductible. They cover water damage which verizon do not cover. They cover fully submerged equipment. I have my phone ran over last year and all was left was a piece of glass and some parts of my phone and they still take it in. They give free battery replacement in need if u got the insurance. so u cant say somethin that u havent had before. Bestbuy is better. Non comission employee. Friendly. And no mail and rebate!

MrNoSox

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I didn't read through the thread but just incase no one ever figured this out here, I tried this from a post on XDA and it worked perfectly with a Charge I traded for that is currently running 2.3.6

Originally Posted by Bert336
*#testmode worked for me, you have to take the sim card out and its going to take you to the setup wizard, from there you will see at the bottom left the emergecny button, type in the *#testmode and it will say softkeys activated, and press the HOME key and you should be golden

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Well ****.

Try this:
1. Select emergency call and dial ##778.
2. Select edit and enter service password 000000.
3. Select NAM Settings.
4. Change Mobile Directory number to 0000000000 (Ten digits).
5. Change MIN1 to 0000000 (Seven digits).
6. Change Mobile Country Code to 000 (Three digits).
7. As you back out "Commit the Change".

i rooted my charge and dont have that screen when i reboot, neither do i have any problems for now..
i see all the charge reports and have to take another look at my ph to be sure i have a droid charge,
and yep,, i do have the Droid Charge GBupdate and none of the probs ev else is having,, maybe i got the only Charge thats being what it was intended to do..

lonndoggie

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
MrNoSox, your method worked perfectly. I've wiped my Charge (replaced it with a Rezound) and want to use it at work as an app test device--but not have a VZW contract (or calling ability at all). This gets the job done.

Thanks!

papa54, try doing a factory reset, or data wipe from your recovery boot screen and see how it goes. You'll need MrNoSox's method to get started, IF you don't want to authorize (which is what this whole thread was about). Got a valid SIM card, and have validated already? No problem, you won't ever see that screen again--unless you wipe data and start over.

BTW, I dumped my Charge because it was so buggy. It would lock up about every other day; a kernel process called k3g_wq (pid 54) would start at 3AM most days, and chew up 20-30% of the CPU constantly, until you killed it (which I found out I was able to do using an app called Elixir, and starting and stopping the gyroscope one or two times). We want to use it as a testing device here because our app has problems with it that no other Android device we test with has. Oh, and the android dev from Pintley (a beer rating/logging app) added me to their beta tester list, because the Charge won't even let me log in--something he hasn't heard from anyone before.

Oh, and this is the third one I've had. The first two would overhead and shut down, so VZW gave me new ones. This one is relatively stable. Mine is rooted too, btw.

Glad yours is working for you, may it always be so.