quick VZW online vs Physical Store

ron.teed

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Quick question I am hoping to get answered so I can be more informed.

My goal is to buy the Charge. My new every two is up on July 6th. I can early upgrade at myverizon.com, and get the Charge for $250 plus tax. Good enough, but I would like to get the phone today. I went into a Verizon Store.. official, not a kiosk or 'partner' store. I asked the status of my contract and how it would relate to picking up the phone today. The employee says.. "Your new every two is not up until July 6th, so you would have to pay $300, plus a $20 surcharge for upgrading early".

So as you can imagine, this makes no sense to me. Is VZW online different from their brick and mortar stores? Should I be able to walk into a Verizon store and use the online offer as a comparison?

In the end, I realize it's not a big deal, and that I could get the phone over night, but for reference, I would like to know all my options.

Thanks for your time,

RT

superstar1213

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
There is no relative difference between the online, corporate, or agent location, other than the fact that if you have issues in your first 14 days you will have to deal with the way you purchased it. So if you buy it online and you have to return it, you can't walk into a store and expect to handle your transaction there. Sometimes agents can give a better deal on the phone over corporate. Online transactions usually don't involve mail-in rebates - but any phone over $199 wouldn't have one in a store or agent location anyways. As far as your NE2.. no store whether its online or not won't honor your NE2 until the day stated. The computer system just won't let it happen. If the online store is honoring it, I'm actually surprised. IMO, I would rather purchase the phone from a rep, and give them the credit for the sale. That way if you have an issue, you can go right back to the person directly who sold it to you, and get same day service rather than having to worry about shipping things back and forth, and making phone calls.

Need A Beach

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I have been in your shoes before ... What you might try doing is calling the Verizon customer service number and asking them if it is possible to upgrade early using your NE2. If you are having problems with your current phone, communicate that as your reason for upgrading early. I have been lucky in the past that they were willing to let me do this on two separate occasions. If you are successful, ask that they would make a note in your account so that you can upgrade at the store. There might be a time limit as to how early you can do this. I know I was close to my New Every Two, but definitely early nonetheless.

When you go to the store, tell them that you called customer service and that they noted your early upgrade in your account. Also bring the print out of the on line price of the phone. If it differs in the store, many times they will give you the printed price. If not, return home and order on line.

Good Luck and let us know if this works.

ron.teed

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks..

Online is definitely $249.. says I am eligible for early upgrade. I got all the way to the pay for it page. Problem is, I won't get it until next Tues, with this being Memorial Day Weekend.

I'll call a rep now and ask them to note my account and see if I can work that angle. I'll also print the online documentation. Seems they should be able to go online at their stores and see the same info I see. I tried the kiosk, and they are not the same as myverizon.com.

oresteez

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
If you go to the store, they probably won't honor the online price. I've tried that before...they will openly tell you that the online pricing is different, you are better off buying it online. The extra money you are paying at the store is because you are getting the help of an 'expert' who can 'answer' all of your questions. Plus the piece of mind of being able to open it right there, and return it to the store for a replacement if needed..

Definitely a good idea to call though to see if they will give you your new every two discount early....My guess..the way Verizon is so anti-customer lately, is that they will shoot you down. but I'll cross my fingers for you.

thaphoenix2

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
as an employee i direct customers to online to make purchases. the supervisors and higher ups have gotten too strict with ne2 upgrades being done early. it's easier to do online. i am constantly in trouble by my sup for not "pushing" the upgrade to be done "in house". in store or calling in you are ging to need sup approvial to get the ne2 even a day sooner, and in my expierence with 3 sups since lte phones came out i have yet to have a sup let me upgrade early and use ne2 discount on any lte phone.

Ghetto_Cowgirl

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. Everywhere in town was $299 + tax + $20 fee. Even over the phone was the same price. I ended up trying to be extremely patient and just ordering online, I even paid an extra $20 for Saturday delivery because, well, I'm not THAT patient! I still came out ahead :) If you can be patient I'd just get it online. If not, spend the extra $$$ and go to the store. The stores won't honor the online price, even the phone sales people won't.

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
here's a question, when I got my og droid a long whiles back, the unlimited 3G was on sale discounted to $23.99 a mo instead of $29.99... If I bought from Amazon would I still get this discount or would they supersede this and charge me $29.99. If they do this, could I call Verizon and get them to fix it back to $23.99 you think? Thanks

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
If you get your phone at the contract renewal price, I bet they increase the rate. Have you renews before and kept the lower rate?

Steve in CT

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I haven't upgraded with the discounted service price yet, no. It amounts to another $72 + nys tax a year if I don't continue the discount. Might as well pay an extra 80$ for the phone at that point!