Anybody have insight to Maps battery usage?

schwinn123

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Still not doing to well on this battery, going to head to the store this week to see if i can clear it up but does anyone else notice Maps using a good portion of their battery? This was my normal use day today, not heavy.

Attachments

• 2012-12-09_23-15-06.jpg
    2012-12-09_23-15-06.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 54

VVoltz

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I have personally seen this happening to me too. I have started to forcefully closed Maps from that same usage menu, just in case.

HOWEVER, I am also a bit confused on why there is no "Screen" usage as in other Android systems. If you actually tap on Maps to see the details of usage you can see that the time in minutes and data is actually not that high, If you notice the more drastic declines are when your screen is ON (see the pattern between the steep declines and the screen ON segments), it could be that Maps is actually using resources when the screen is on but I do believe there is a confusion/bug on how Maps usage is being reported and the fact that there is no separate "Screen" usage.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't get maps to show up on my battery usage chart unless I've used the application. In trying to get it to show up, I've used G+, Facebook, Twitter and my browser. Still no maps on the battery usage screen.

I've opened maps and I'll check whether it still appears when I get to work later. What other apps do you use?

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Something you might consider when viewing battery Stats, The % shown is what the app(s) have used in relative terms to how much the battery has been drawn on.
When you see 46% of app using the battery that would mean the following: Say my battery registered 80% charge, That would mean the 46% app actually used 9% of the battery.
While I'm not going to post a screen shot, my battery is showing 90% charge, yet I have over 70% app usage if you add it up.. Try it on your own.
It's odd but does make sense in a consumption view, it doesn't mean that app pulled 46% of my TOTAL battery capacity.

BigMace23

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I saw this also and I think it's a result of having gps turned on all the time. After only turning on gps when I need it, the maps portion of the battery history disappeared and I'm also seeing better battery life. It seems like when you have gps on all the time, the phone opts to use it for things like updating the location data in the HTC weather widgets.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had the maps issue as well. I had it set up to advise me of my commute to work and home after work. I noticed that it triggered about 6 to 8 times a day and I have a 7 to 10 minute commute anyway. After I turned off the commute option for home to work and work to home for Google Now it disappeared.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I launched as this morning and did a search. Don't seem to have a huge draw due to maps.

uploadfromtaptalk1355177904491.jpg

Steve

thefireguy286

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Check your location settings in Map settings. Under the Latitude sharing and location history, leave them off, always helps. That's been a Jellybean issue on a number of devices.

swenpro

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I am also getting a huge draw from Maps. 57% of my battery consumption this morning, and I barely used the app fit a couple min. GPS is turned off!

Sent from Tapatalk on my HTC Droid DNA

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Check your location settings in Map settings. Under the Latitude sharing and location history, leave them off, always helps. That's been a Jellybean issue on a number of devices.

Thanks, going to try this. I've noticed it too, but very intermittently and not sure what the cause is.

n8mack33

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, going to try this. I've noticed it too, but very intermittently and not sure what the cause is.

Turning on and then off location services worked for me. Night and day difference. Now it is doing it again so I turned it on and of again. Hopefully it was a fluke and doesn't keep having this issue. It makes a huge difference for me.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Did you actually launch Maps, or did it randomly eat your battery? Something similar happened on my N7 a couple days ago--I had my GPS off, and I hadn't launched Maps in probably weeks, but it randomly started eating my battery. I didn't notice until it was at 30%, but it had somehow kept my device awake the entire time. Either I accidentally launched the app (buried in a folder in a drawer), or it was--like someone else suggested--Google Now. Though, my device is wifi-only. Since forcing Maps to stop, I haven't had a problem since.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-14-14-01-15.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-14-14-01-15.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_2012-12-14-14-01-44.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-14-14-01-44.png
    121.9 KB · Views: 10

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I've gotten past the Maps issue but now I'm having a similar issue with the internet. It is currently using 54%. I've looked through all my apps and can not figure out what would be using it. Any thoughts from the crowd?

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I've gotten past the Maps issue but now I'm having a similar issue with the internet. It is currently using 54%. I've looked through all my apps and can not figure out what would be using it. Any thoughts from the crowd?

Isn't Internet the name of the default browser? Is that your browser of choice? If so, it could just be from actual use.

Steve

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Isn't Internet the name of the default browser? Is that your browser of choice? If so, it could just be from actual use.

Internet is the name of the default browser. It's definitely not from use of the app though. Internet has showed at 50+% for the last 3 or 4 days but I use Chrome. I haven't done much web browsing over the last few days... mainly scramble/words with friends, bunch of texting and phone calls, navigation and other general use. The apps I use the most show at 6% or 7% and Chrome shows at 3%.

cjmac97

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
This has happened to me, but I figured out the problem. I had left a webpage open that was auto-updating itself. I don't remember if it was a sports or weather site, but it was auto-updating often. Once I closed that page, all was normal again. Remember, Android has true multi-tasking in some cases, so leaving something open in the browser could have an impact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codex_umbra