ota gingerbread

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
should i wait for the update or just reroot and how do i retoot thx

All depends on how badly you want the OTA vs how bad you want to keep root. If you want to keep root then do it now and do not accept the OTA. There will bee rooted OTA's available shortly after the release.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
No. It just means that when the GB OTA comes out, the exploit used by Unrevoked will be patched and you will not be able to get root again.

It's up to the devs to re-hack the build. Unrevoked may or may not release an updated version to root the GB OTA.

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
No. It just means that when the GB OTA comes out, the exploit used by Unrevoked will be patched and you will not be able to get root again.

It's up to the devs to re-hack the build. Unrevoked may or may not release an updated version to root the GB OTA.

Well &^%$, you had me all excited for nuttin'. Thanks for the clarification though.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

HEAD THIS WARNING!!!! My buddy has an EVO. He unrooted and took the GB update. Well, in that update the root exploit has been patched so it is NOT possible to ROOT a GB EVO. I would bet SERIOUS money the same thing happens to the DINC if/when GB is sent out via OTA. I, just like the rest of you want to see GB released, but I will NOT give up root for it. I only want it released so DEVs can get the source code to make better ROMS/KERNELS for it.

Trying it first, THEN deciding to ROOT I feel is not a wise choice. Rooting may not be an option for you at that point. Unrevoked is easy and pain free. Try it now while you can, you can always go back......but if you wait for a GB OTA, you might not get a choice.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
now im ready to install my very first rom wats the best rom how do i install it

Asking "whats the best ROM" is like asking "whats your favorite color". It's all personal opinion. Some people like Sense based ROM's, some don't. Some like to overclock their CPU, some like to underclock...while some (me included) don't fool with their CPU at all. You just have to go out there and find what you like.

Start with the ROM's and MOD's HQ post in the Rooting section. The Stig (formally known as PvilleComp) does a great job of keeping it up and orgininzing. Check the screen shots of each ROM to get an idea of what it will look like after you flash it. Then get to flashing. Here's where your Nandroid will be worth it's weight in gold. After you flash a ROM, you typically have to go about restoring all your apps, all your settings and what not. If, after you've been running your custom ROM, you decide you don't like it or it's too buggy, laggy whatever, you can restore the Nandroid backup you made earlier of your previous ROM and your phone will be magically transported back in time and *poof* its like nothing ever happened. All your apps are in place, all your settings are there.

Now, if you don't know how to flash a ROM, just do a search on here...its been discussed hundreds of times and there are some really good step by step guides on how to do it. It really is very easy...if a non-computer guy like me can do it, anyone can.

And we're always here to help if you get stuck.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699