Gingerbread is killing my battery

JoeMcFadden

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Since I had my phone replaced recently, I decided to only install my necessary apps to see if I would have better battery life. I have actually been getting close to 24 hours out of a charge for 2 weeks now.

Took my phone off the charger this morning fully charged, let it install gingerbread, and now, 8 hours later I am at 30% battery. I have not used the phone any more than usual.

It shows Display as having used 80% of the battery... I have the display set to the absolute minimum brightness.

So, time will tell, but it looks like gingerbread is killing my battery.

Darkblue31

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
something is wrong then because my phone since the GB update the battery life has been significantly better. Do you have something syncing in the background?

draken

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd imagine the process of installing GB is a pretty big drain on the battery. Hopefully you'll see improvements today.

sportwarrior

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. I installed the Gingerbread update this morning while my phone was still plugged into the charger. It went through its restart and everything was fine... 30 min after unplugging my phone at around 8:45 am it was at 78% battery life. It completely died at 2:30ish pm. Pre gingerbread it would be at maaaybe 65% on a bad day after that amount of time.

I'm hoping that maybe a restart or something will kick some sense into the phone, because I was shocked at how bad the battery life was.

JoeMcFadden

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I took my phone off the charger last night about 7pm, and it just died about an hour ago...
So, maybe it was just the GB install process.

I'll take 24 hours to a charge anytime!

melcher70

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. I installed the Gingerbread update this morning while my phone was still plugged into the charger. It went through its restart and everything was fine... 30 min after unplugging my phone at around 8:45 am it was at 78% battery life. It completely died at 2:30ish pm. Pre gingerbread it would be at maaaybe 65% on a bad day after that amount of time.

I'm hoping that maybe a restart or something will kick some sense into the phone, because I was shocked at how bad the battery life was.

Any chance you are in the northeast US? I had HORRIBLE battery life this morning, much worse than usual, and I haven't updated to Gingerbread yet.. I chalked it up to the really bad weather this morning on Cape Cod, thinking my phone had to work extra hard to search for a data signal...

eaglecitizen

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I updated Wednesday morning... Same horrible battery life issues. I think partly because the phone will not actually power off to bump charge. When choosing Power Off it acts like it is just going to sleep, no reboot when powered back on and Battery shows on for much longer than the few minutes it was supposed to be after powering off.

I'm planning to give it a few days. Not looking forward to a hard reset. I've done that once...

flyingtiger

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Longtime lurker, first-time poster here...I also got the update Weds morning and am also having terrible battery life since then. I usually use a wall charger and spare battery, and got 16-18hrs per charge before the update. Now I'm lucky to get 6-8.

I guess wait a couple more days before factory resetting? I distinctly remember doing one after getting Froyo as well, sigh...

d_vernarsky

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
My girlfriend was complaining about horrible battery life since hers updated to GB and when I checked it said that dialer used 32% of the battery, and she has only made a couple of quick calls today. Any suggestions?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyle24