my quick review of the Incredible - what's your experience been like ?

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I went from the BB curve to the Droid to the Incredible.

In short, I love the incredible.

1. Call quality seems on par with the Droid. However, it seems like the Incredible consistently shows less bars than the Droid.

Has anyone else had that experience ?? I am curious about other experience with the strength of the signal on the Incredible.

2. Form factor is great - this phone just plain feels good to hold and is easier for me to text and write emails on.

3. Battery life - it does seem to drain faster than the Droid, but I can almost get through a full day without having to recharge.

4. Sense UI - I like this much better than the Droid, it is intuitive and easier for me ( personally) to work with.

All in all, both are great phones, but the Incredible is lighter, which is better for me.

The only drawbacks I have ran across so far are slightly quicker battery drain and a possible decreased signal strength.

Can I get anyone elses experience on these 2 issues ?

Even though I show less bars, so far it seems like I am still holding onto calls and not dropping them. Is this a problem with the software showing a decreased signal strength, when there really is not one ?

Terry4505

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Went from BB Curve to Eris to DInc... Agree with everything stated above. Battery sucks, already bought a replacement. Reception not a problem...yet.

This phone is everything I had hoped the Eris would be and wasn't. I am completely satisfied with this device.

Jeepzor

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I keep hearing people mentioning the signal bars as an issue. I will agree is odd the droid shows more bars but I have sat my incredible right next to my girls droid and they get EXACTLY the same numbers.

mb79

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Yep, the signal bars are not an accurate indication of service. I made a call from the back of a ToysRUs store today where zero bars were showing. Call connected fine, and was loud and clear. Approx 3 minute call.

mobilemedic20

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree with OP's review 100%, and I had the exact same progression of phones - Curve to Droid to Incredible! I absolutely love the Incredible. It's a joy to use, reliable, FAST as all hell, and just to easy. Form factor is practically perfect.

My battery life has improved (Thanks to the trick) so that I can get through most of the day, but I'm going to pick up at least the Seidio 1750mAh at some point, if not the bigger one. For now, this will work (I couldn't have said that a week ago when I was getting 5 hours out of it!).

Reception does seem to be a bit less too. I'm dropping calls like crazy within my house. Out and about though, it's not so bad. I will say though, my Curve was dropping calls badly too, so I think it's just poor reception within the house. Always use wifi within the house so it doesn't hog data (and thus battery).

My only other complaint has nothing to do with the phone itself... it's LACK OF ACCESSORIES!!! Where are the cases? I don't want to buy a Verizon case (for a few reasons), and none of the big case companies have anything yet. Really all I want is a basic silicone skin like the blackberry one - just for scratch and short drop protection. What gives?

Jeepzor

May 7, 2010
Visit site
My only other complaint has nothing to do with the phone itself... it's LACK OF ACCESSORIES!!! Where are the cases? I don't want to buy a Verizon case (for a few reasons), and none of the big case companies have anything yet. Really all I want is a basic silicone skin like the blackberry one - just for scratch and short drop protection. What gives?

I just got the black silicon case for the inc and its pretty awesome. I bet if you saw one you might change your mind.

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
All I can say is that this is the first phone that I have not been thinking about what is going to replace it two weeks after owning. It is about as close to perfect that I have ever owned, and my first cellphone was a microTAC in 1996. I sold my Droid and I don't miss it at all.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Yep, the signal bars are not an accurate indication of service. I made a call from the back of a ToysRUs store today where zero bars were showing. Call connected fine, and was loud and clear. Approx 3 minute call.

I have heard this, also. I believe some have said that it could be a software issue. ie) The phone may show only 1 bar, but it actually has a good signal. Maybe it is just the way the gauge shows on the phone. I haven't had any problems dropping calls in metro areas.. it will be interesting to see next week when I take it over the mountains.

I am hoping the true signal strength is as good as the Droid and just an issue with how the phone itself is reporting the signal strength.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Went from BB Curve to Eris to DInc... Agree with everything stated above. Battery sucks, already bought a replacement. Reception not a problem...yet.

This phone is everything I had hoped the Eris would be and wasn't. I am completely satisfied with this device.

What kind of replacement did you buy, Terry. I have heard of longer-life batteries, do they actually last longer ?

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I keep hearing people mentioning the signal bars as an issue. I will agree is odd the droid shows more bars but I have sat my incredible right next to my girls droid and they get EXACTLY the same numbers.

sorry to keep asking questions.... jeepzor...

What do you mean by they get the same numbers ? Do you see the same # of bars, or are you meaning there is some other measure of signal strength that shows the same #, despite differences in the # of bars shown on each phone ?

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is the only downside to this phone so far. Even though I can get a days worth out of using my phone with the battery charging "trick" posted in these forums I would still like to see it last a solid 14-16 hours without needing a charger.

Wants I would like to see for the phone would be 720p recording on the camcorder function, which may come along after a root I've heard. Over all I've spent a lot of time with this phone in the last week and have nothing but good graces to say about it.

As far as the signal quality goes I get the same exact signal as the wifes eris and my BB storm and a friend bold. They all read the same +/- 1 dbm. So if you can make and receive calls fine I would push it off as a meter glitch. Or another way to look at it, is it's tuned to be more sensitive than the other phones. Eh each to his own I found my new favorite phone.

How to check signal strength:

Menu button --> Settings --> About Phone --> Network

The Signal strength is listed there under a dBm reading. Anything less than -100 is workable, most phone stay between -60 to -90 depending on signal strength and coverage. The higher the negative number the better, meaning -60 is better than -100.

Last edited:

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I have hear from VZW that the meter is more sensitive on the INC. If your able to talk, without dropping calls.... that is the only thing to be concerned with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress