Incredible and option of sense.

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I believe we should have the option to use sense or not on or phones(incredible). Granted we did buy this phone knowing that it has it, but I feel that its either use a less powerful android phone on VZW or go with sense and be stuck(locked down) with it, discuss.(i know im ranting lol)...btw does anyone know how close they are to rooting and if we would be able to take sense off then?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i believe the desire has been rooted, and that is basically our phone, so i'm really really hoping root is coming soon for us.

maybe with 2.2 now being out there, the rooting geniuses have more reason for getting root on this phone sooner rather than later.

as for sense, it's really odd that they took out the 2.1 launcher, since afaik, they haven't done that on any other sense equipped phone other than this one.

if(when) we get root and a custom recovery sense can be taken out by loading up a custom rom that doesn't have sense on it.

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I actually don't hate the sense. I think its well done and very will put together. The phone is fast and responsive.

It isn't as bad as I thought it was on my eris but I like the stock feel better and being to do what I want with it. I feel this is htc telling us we have to use something and don't have a choice unless we want to use a diff phone as of right now.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I believe we should have the option to use sense or not on or phones(incredible). Granted we did buy this phone knowing that it has it, but I feel that its either use a less powerful android phone on VZW or go with sense and be stuck(locked down) with it, discuss.(i know im ranting lol)...btw does anyone know how close they are to rooting and if we would be able to take sense off then?

It's already been determined that that's not possible with the Incredible, even when rooted because much of the core OS (which Sense replaces) is is not in the rom.

Closest you can do is use a home screen replacement -- I recommend Nexus Home as I use it on my MotoDroid -- and set it as default then install as many of the core OS components which have been tested to work on Incredible (3d gallery, etc), but even that wont give you what you want. Core OS widgets are missing and many of their Sense equivelents wont work on a home screen replacement so you would need to find third party ones that work the same way and have a similar feel (if they exist).

Once it is rooted you may be able to install a Nexus or Moto Droid ROM that does not use sense (Desire does) if someone ports it over to work, but for now you may as well get used to it, because as Phil has said numerous times, Incredible is a Sense phone, and there is no getting around it.

It's been know for a while that Sense could not be disabled in the Incredible, I'm curious as to why you bought it since it only a matter of time before the Moto Droid 2 (Shadow?) comes out (November at the latest, possibly sooner) and that will probably be another Sense free device.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
There should be no reason a ROM cooker can't put a rom together that would work and have only the basic android experience. I would try it if someone came out with it, just to find out what all the noise is about.

I hate when phone companies lock out options to use something else on a smart phone, however I'm trying to convince myself that HTC did it for performance reasons. At least that's what I keep telling myself while rocking slowly in the corner mumbling, "why do they do this...."

slinky317

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I'd gladly give up Sense if it meant getting 2.2 faster. Personally I'd had to disable or mess with a lot of settings within Sense just to get decent battery life. I love my Incredible, but if the Nexus One suddenly came out on Verizon I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
My complaint isn't so much sense ui its that they force us to use it which is bs bc of the open feel I thought android was supposed to have, maybe that's just me. Also I wanted a slick non physical keyboard android phone on verizon, reason I went with the incredible.

Execute

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Well I am all for open source and having options, but the argument can only hold so much weight. The Incredible comes with Sense, and it's a big part of what the Incredible is. Pretty soon people are going to be demanding that the manufacturers allow end users to swap the processor for a different one and throw a different camera in there. Pretty soon you are going to have a completely different device than what you started with(while of course expecting everything to work per manufacturers original agreement and the warranty to be fully valid).

Unless you build your own device, or pay someone to do so to your exact specifications, you probably are not going to get a device that has everything you want. If you just want to buy the device to change everything to be like a different device, why not buy a different device?

IncredibleLane

May 13, 2010
Visit site
With so many android phones on the market, why is sense such a big issue for people?

I personally enjoy it, so the Incredible fills my needs.. But if you hate something that defines so much about the phone, then there are plenty of other android devices to choose from.. And even more to come.

It's like when people buy a Tahoe and complain about the gas mileage.. You know what you're getting when you buy the car.. If you wanted 40 mpg, buy a civic. End of Story.

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Most people are missing the point thinking that I'm saying I HATE sense UI. While yes I do dislike it, I was just saying I'm forced with a more sluggish phone if I want to go with vanilla Android.(Reason I got a new phone other got ran over for a car, no real time to wait for those who will say why jump the gun and get Incredible)

Its not the point of if we get our way with a operating system why not DEMAND what processor, camera, etc we want in a phone and making custom phones much like computers, because that just sounds absurd and crazy compared to what I am asking(a simple fix/option). Its almost getting to a point where if you buy an HTC phone its got sense and you're stuck with it. I don't think that's right of them forcing folks to use that with a phone as where it should be an option much like an app. If I prefer an HTC phone over lets say a motorola its because maybe I prefer the name HTC, maybe I prefer the build quality of there phones, etc.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
With so many android phones on the market, why is sense such a big issue for people?

I personally enjoy it, so the Incredible fills my needs.. But if you hate something that defines so much about the phone, then there are plenty of other android devices to choose from.. And even more to come.

It's like when people buy a Tahoe and complain about the gas mileage.. You know what you're getting when you buy the car.. If you wanted 40 mpg, buy a civic. End of Story.

Car analogies are horrible when comparing phones. Yes you can complain about the Tahoe doesn't get 40mpg, but we aren't talking about swapping the engine in the incredible(SnapDragon) we are talking about changing the interior(Sense UI). And last I checked GM doesn't tell you you can't swap the interior.

See how bad car analogies are.......I like Sense and was one of the reasons I ended up getting this phone.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Car analogies are horrible when comparing phones. Yes you can complain about the Tahoe doesn't get 40mpg, but we aren't talking about swapping the engine in the incredible(SnapDragon) we are talking about changing the interior(Sense UI). And last I checked GM doesn't tell you you can't swap the interior.

See how bad car analogies are.......I like Sense and was one of the reasons I ended up getting this phone.

i would go even further and say it's more like changing the fabric of the interior, with vanilla android being cloth and sense being leather.

i like sense too, and am happy with the phone, but with the abundance of storage on this phone, htc could easily have left the stock 2.1 apps and launcher on it.

IncredibleLane

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm just saying sense is a huge part of the Incredible and HTC.

To use a non-car analogy, it would be like me scoping around the internet trying to find a way to attach a physical keyboard to my phone..

BUT that's just my humble opinion.. didn't mean to step on any toes..

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
That analogy is even worse...stop please lol. You aren't stepping on toes! I just find it laughable all the people who buy this phone knowing full well it has Sense UI on it and then complain there is no way to turn it off because they hate it.

Now personally I would like to have the option to disable it, because I like having choices, but I would still use Sense.

Chaos5

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Qazme you say you find it laughable bc I know it has sense and no easy way to turn it off and I bought it knowing that. Im just simply asking if there was a way or that there should be a way to disable/turn off sense. You make it should as if I said to hell with sense, htc worst company ever for baiting me into this sense ui phone lol. I just want options considering verizon screwed us with the nexus one.

Last edited:

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Qazme you say you find it laughable bc I know it has sense and no easy way to turn it off and I bought it knowing that. Im just simply asking if there was a way or that there should be a way to disable/turn off sense. You make it should as if I said to hell with sense, htc worst company ever for baiting me into this sense ui phone lol. I just want options considering verizon screwed us with the nexus one.

No I'm not talking about you. People seeking options are one thing, and when they find out they can't do it and say oh well I knew what I was getting into, like you is fine.

What I'm talking about is the people who say, "I thought I could turn it off this phone sucks, I'm taking it back" type of responses lol. I wasn't attacking you friend. After all I'm in the same boat I would like the option of turning it off if I decided I wanted to, but I'm not mad because I can't because I knew the phone had Sense when I bought it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87