Need BB Profile Feature

bandroid

Jun 15, 2010
www.twitter.com
hey guys, i have an incredible in the box ready to activate to replace my storm and there is one thing keeping me from activating it and i hope to find a solution.

In BB i have the phone set to silent when i sleep, but my GF works nights sometimes and if she ever got in a car accident i need her to be able to call me, but i dont want my phone ringing or text alerts or email alerts waking me up. So on the BB i set the phone to silent, then i go in to my girlfriends contact and then go into her custom ringtone area, i can then set her ring volume to either "Active Profile" or set it to a specific set volume. so i set it to 10 then if she breaks down she can call me and wake me up, but no one else can. works great for bosses too.

but i am told by vzw reps the indredible does NOT have this feature, i found an app called profiles on the android market but the info i got about it did not say if it did this feature or not. its really important feature to me, i hope there is a way.

thanks

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I use an app called timeriffic. You can set it to silence the email and text notifications but keep the ringer on at certain hours then turn the volume back up at another time. I have it set to mute everything but the ringer volume at 10:30pm then to unmute everything at 6:30am, it saved me from getting murdered by the wife. I created a "profile" in it for Mon - Fri then Sat - Sun, I just changed the AM from 6:30 - 7:30am for the weekends.

In order for that to really work you have to go into Options -> Sound & Display then select Ringer volume. Uncheck the box labeled "Use incoming call volume for notifications" so it separates the ringer and notifications volumes.

If you need help setting up Timeriffic, shoot me a message.

Commander

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
There are some apps (full versions are pay for) that allow for contacts to be designated as emergency contacts and ring when the phone is on silent. I tried one of the trial versions and missed some calls so test thoroughly.

For other profile management coming from a BB I have tried the usual suspects and even bought Locale and would recommend Toggle Settings as a free app. None of these will do what you are asking for though (making just specific person ring and all others silent).

To understand Android vs BB is the key to some of this. BB centralized all sounds and let you then manage those sounds. Android leaves all sounds management dispersed out to the individual apps and only groups them as Notifications. So you can make them all sound the same and all ring the same or turn them all off. Locale let me circumvent this a little but still not on par with the BB profile management.

AHfootball12

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey,

I saw a program called Profile by "noiamjosh" which will let you set profiles like a blackberry. In addition to being able to set time's for profiles to come on it has an addon app called Profile Whitelist you can use this to make it so certain people's calls/texts/mms goes through no matter what profile is on. Maybe that will help?

StayFly

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I hate the fact that's texts email calendar share the same volume that's so dumb I like my calendar volume high and text and email low but I can't get it that way.

kmaxima

May 13, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't do the contact based changes that you want, but for the other bb profile type stuff I have been trying out a newer app called EasyProfile by SmartDyne. Has many settings you can create and even rules based profile changing (though so far I haven't been able to figure out the location based rules). Works really well, and the extra bonus is it has a feature to disable notification vibrate while on a call!!

thenewnoise

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I am using Quick Profiles with the Quick Profiles Pro widget.

I like Quick Profiles because it lets me manually chose which profile I want and when I want it. It doesn't do it based on time or location. I dont always go to bed at the same time or show up to work at the same time so I like to be able to chose what profile is set.

If i hadn't already purchased the Quick Profiles Pro widget I would probably try AudioManager Pro too

lcsglvr

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I use Kaloer clock. It can automatically come on when the phone is plugged into charger, like the BB does and it sets itself to a "bedside" mode, where silent. You can set an "Emergency List" that allows their calls to go through.

bandroid

Jun 15, 2010
www.twitter.com
I use an app called timeriffic. You can set it to silence the email and text notifications but keep the ringer on at certain hours then turn the volume back up at another time. I have it set to mute everything but the ringer volume at 10:30pm then to unmute everything at 6:30am, it saved me from getting murdered by the wife. I created a "profile" in it for Mon - Fri then Sat - Sun, I just changed the AM from 6:30 - 7:30am for the weekends.

In order for that to really work you have to go into Options -> Sound & Display then select Ringer volume. Uncheck the box labeled "Use incoming call volume for notifications" so it separates the ringer and notifications volumes.

If you need help setting up Timeriffic, shoot me a message.

does timeriffic do emergency contact aka whitelisting though? in my research i dont see that as a feature. its a must have for me.

bandroid

Jun 15, 2010
www.twitter.com
i tried all of them, including profile w/ the whitelist addon which are paid. the only one that worked on the incredible was autoring which is free and awesome. its the only app that could work more than once.

i highly recommend it so far.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
does timeriffic do emergency contact aka whitelisting though? in my research i dont see that as a feature. its a must have for me.

No, if you don't tell it to mute the ringer at a certain time then any phone call that comes in will ring. To me that's not a deal breaker as any calls that come in at that hour I need to hear it especially if the alarm goes off at my company the number comes in different each time so kind of hard to whitelist that.

izzy35

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
But all of these, as nice as they may be, still don't break up sms and email notifications, correct?? There are too many times that i just want sms and ringer on, with everything else silenced. Really bugs me that it can't be done.

+1 for Blackberry! Too bad I still wouldn't switch back :D