New Incredible Battery Life Sticky: Please Contribute

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I BC'd the phone and after 9 hours, my phone is still at 100% juice. I am sure it will change with reall heavy use, but it really is a big difference! Thanks!

9 hours? I hate to be the negative skeptic, but that sounds more like a problem than a real solution. I can't imagine those figures being accurate. :(

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
9 hours? I hate to be the negative skeptic, but that sounds more like a problem than a real solution. I can't imagine those figures being accurate. :(

Not sure what BC's means. But if you have a fully charged stock battery phone turned on and not syncing it will still lose ~3% per hour. With syncing turned on a~5% per hour and under usage you are doing really nice between 8-10% per hour.

So optimally even at 3% per hour after 9 hours he would have lost 27% of his battery.

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Qazme, I just got back in the house and I read your reply. Looking at my phone now, I am at a little less than 70% after 18h 48m 14sec since I charged the phone.

Cell Standby 43%
Phone Idle 40%
Androis Sys. 12%
Display 3%
Dialer 2%

Now I admit that I haven't been online surfing the web much today like I normally do, since I am trying to gauge how much life that bump charging (BC is what I'm calling it since it's easier to type) it give my phone. Tomorrow I will do my normal use on the phone after the charge. But are you saying that this isn't normal?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Qazme, I just got back in the house and I read your reply. Looking at my phone now, I am at a little less than 70% after 18h 48m 14sec since I charged the phone.

Cell Standby 43%
Phone Idle 40%
Androis Sys. 12%
Display 3%
Dialer 2%

Now I admit that I haven't been online surfing the web much today like I normally do, since I am trying to gauge how much life that bump charging (BC is what I'm calling it since it's easier to type) it give my phone. Tomorrow I will do my normal use on the phone after the charge. But are you saying that this isn't normal?

I'll just put it this way at 20 hours on a 1750 battery with an Optimized 2.2 build, undervolted kernel etc my phone would be at about 14% charge. So yes it does sound fishy. But I use my phone, are you sure you are looking at the unplug time versus up time.

Granted your phone hasn't been used 83% of the time and your new numbers show you losing about 2% an hour. Which is almost right. So you look ok now. However originally you claimed to have went 9 hours with no battery drop which isn't going to happen.

chetman7

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
i tried bump charging for the first time today...I let it hit green twice.

I received one text message, and i sent out 1 text as a reply. my battery shot down to 94%

i have a seido external battery charger on the way along with 2 extra generic 1300mah batteries on the way. I'm pretty new here but from what I read, the battery does not fully charge due to software issues?? if this is the case, I wont have to bump charge with the external battery charger right?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
i tried bump charging for the first time today...I let it hit green twice.

I received one text message, and i sent out 1 text as a reply. my battery shot down to 94%

i have a seido external battery charger on the way along with 2 extra generic 1300mah batteries on the way. I'm pretty new here but from what I read, the battery does not fully charge due to software issues?? if this is the case, I wont have to bump charge with the external battery charger right?

Right, or if you turn the phone off! A bunch of people seem to believe it has something to do with the Kernels that the Inc uses. We shall see as more Kernels come out and the devs start figuring out what is going on!

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Qazme, as I am posting this at 12:12 p.m. in NY my phone is at 50% juice.
Up time 31:59:47
Awake time 2:23:13
Last unplug 1d 8h 0m 6sec
Cell Standby 44%
Phone Idle 40%
Android Sys. 12%
Display 4%

It may sound weird, but my phone indeed went 8hrs and 56 mins before noticing the green battery bar dropped. Like I said before, I didn't use the phone like I normally would so I could gauge the length of charge, but that is what I had.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Ok and out of ~32 hours you have used your phone for 2.5.....it doesn't sound weird it's just nothing to brag about. lol. I can use my phone for 2.5 hours and still be in the 80% range.

Standby + Idle = 84% of the time your phone has been unplugged.

24 hours ~2-3% per hour drop = 48%- 72% depending on cell coverage. Nothing abnormal about it. So what's your point again?

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I thank you for the input. It has helped. No bragging involved. I had just wondered if it was normal, that's all. On average, how much more efficient should my stock battery be after the FroYo update, as a guess?

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I thank you for the input. It has helped. No bragging involved. I had just wondered if it was normal, that's all. On average, how much more efficient should my stock battery be after the FroYo update, as a guess?

Ah ok, I took it as bragging! Have to hate text only, sometimes it's hard to understand how people mean things when they say them. ;)

With your usage pattern of mainly standby time / idle time about the same. However under usage, depending on the app, it will use less battery because the dalvik compiler is more efficient when using the processor than not having it. But the app has to be able to take advantage of it. Just as a whole you will see a bit of a difference but it's nothing earth shattering.

otterbob#AC

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Ive had the official ota since launch and my battery life seems slightly worse with 2.2 wonder if its because the new bloatware stays running all the time. I use system panel to kill apps but the bloatware just POPs right back up. Also programs that used to close out on exit now remain active.

ejfiii

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that battery life is incredibly poor on my dinc. I love the phone otherwise but it has gotten out of hand - progressively worse as time goes by.

After the first month I couldn't make it past about 3pm without a charge.

I gave in and bought a 2150 battery with the ridiculous hump about 6 weeks ago and now low and behold I can't make it past about 8pm before i get the 14% and then 9% low battery warnings.

I charge at night, phone off, no bumping and only in the car when needed.

Still running factory 2.1, I talk for about 60 min a day, manage the radio connections religiously, do about 100 text and another 100 emails on it daily. I don't have many apps that run, and expect worse battery life when running pandora or slacker - which I do rarely - or google maps with the GPS on.

I keep thinking the battery should condition itself but this has gotten crazy.

Anyone else experiencing the same crappy battery life?

TIA

teslatech

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
OK here is some tips on Lipos batteries. I know this info for a fact because I have many app notes on charging systems and chemistry behind Lipos. As a hobby I work on electronics and have many of these and other battery chemistries laying around. Each different battery chemistry requires its own way of being treated.

Never charge the phone if the phone is below freezing. Most charging chips will cut it off if it gets too cold but this can damage the cells.

Heat will always wear out a battery. Never leave you phone in a hot car or in direct sunlight. The cells have a shelf life even when not being used and heat makes this life drop faster. A cell stored at room temp will show signs of wear after 4 years.

If the battery is above 110deg it should also not be charged. This increases the internal series resistance and more of the charge goes to making more heat and increases the problem. Again good charging chips will cut off the charge if the cell temp rises too much.

Li tech cells DO NOT like to be brought all the way to zero all the time. For NiCd and NiMh cells this can help keep the cell fresh but Li do not.

If you phone dies DO NOT try to start it back up without charging it. The cell, even when the controller shows they are dead and shuts down the power, can still put out power. What happens when the cell voltage gets too low is crystals form in the cell causing mini short circuits and converting some of the chemicals used to store power into inert components.

Even with that said sometimes it is good to let the cell drop till it shuts off because it resets the zero scale in the charing chip. The chip tracks the mAh usage all the time and it is what gives you the 100 to 0 percent scale. After awhile the cell will drift. So if it is never brought to zero the scale will be off. One of my laptops I did this on was able to run another hour(eepc 901 low power laptop) after my batteries chip said it was at zero(i forced the computer to not shut down in a lower power situation). So this is just a suggestion from me but maybe every 3 to 6 months reset the fuel gauge in the chip by letting the phone die.

I know there is some more info rattling around in me head. Maybe I will go cruz through my app notes and post more.

It helps to understand what is going on in the battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruger141

Smiff

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
It seems like many of the program on teh phone after the 2.2 update are causing a problem. I now have Skype, My Verizon, City ID and Amazon MP3 starting up on their own. I do not have the ability to remove them from the manage app location. I could use some direction on how to disable them or remove them from the phone. Other than this the 2.2 update is GREAT!

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Friendstream

When I first got my DInc, I tried all sorts of combinations of apps and widgets trying to figure out what hurt my battery, what didn't. I ended up not using Friendstream because of multiple issues I had with it on 2.1, but when I got the OTA update to 2.2 I was real curious to see what "improved battery life" looked like and I also thought HTC would have made Friendstream better.

With Friendstream setup as a widget in 2.2 my battery was waaaay worse. By removing Friendstream as a widget and using the separate Twitter and FB widgets my battery is still very much charged (~70% vs. ~40% at the end of the day). Once the widget was gone I could agree that battery life is better in 2.2.

Yes, this is my first post here, I hope its helpful to someone!

kevinb120

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to get the phone to sleep when charging from the PC? Not only is the output lower then the AC charger, but the phone doesn't sleep on a PC connection, even if it's set to 'charge only'. :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty