Advanced Task Killer for FROYO

sethlamb

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Is great.....stock battery lasted 10 hours and 41 minutes......Moderate use and still has 10 percent power left.....now charging

sethlamb

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thats crap. Used the ohone yesterday without the task killer and only got about 60 percent of the time i got today

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
your phone has other issues then that you need to look into. find out what app is keep your phone awake. System panel would be a good tool to start with. also spare parts will help

Reactions: KB3MMX

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree with howarmat and mclarryjr. ATK does way more harm then good on Froyo. Every Froyo phone I have removed it from has experienced better battery life without it.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I've never used spare parts so sorry I can't help you there but agree with Matt that system panel can help you find your problem app.

Santino_11

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I disagree.

ATK helps the phone's battery life by killing all the unnecessary bloatware that loads up automatically. Keep using the program, it's great.

Also, search the forums for the debate on this subject. I side with use of ATK.

Learn about it.

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
LMAO learn about it, you are the one i think that needs to do some reading

yes it will start back up, and then you waste CPU cycles killing it, then it starts back up again etc. but if you actually look at how many CPU cycles the bloatware is eating up you will see its nothing. You are actually using more CPU power and battery constantly killing them.

I am sorry but you obviously just dont get it if you still say a task killer needed or helps your battery. You have other issues that are causing battery drain that you can actually solve by using my advice above. Or you can simply act blind on the issue and continue to use your task killer and never fix your problems

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
...ATK helps the phone's battery life by killing all the unnecessary bloatware that loads up automatically.

Absolutely incorrect.

I've watched my Battery History (in Spare Parts or the Testing Menu -- *#*#4636#*#*) closely, and NONE of the "bloatware" items have ever even registered. They aren't responsible for ANY battery drain if you do not use them (which I don't). If they are loaded into RAM but not using CPU cycles then they are not using any battery power. Even now, my phone has been on for 53 hours, and even though Skype, Amazon MP3, CityID, Stocks, FM Radio, FriendStream, Footprints, Peep, VisualVM, Backup Assistant, and VZ Navigator are all loaded ("running"), none of them has used any battery since last reboot. Not one of those apps appears under CPU usage, Network usage, GPS usage, sensor usage, partial wake usage, or other.

If you read up on what it means for an app to be "running" on Android (the very good Lifehacker article linked on this forum yesterday is a great source), you will understand that an app -- or 1000 apps -- can be "loaded" into RAM but not actually ever do anything. They are dormant. They are in RAM simply so that they can be launched quickly if the user visits them. It seems that part of Verizon's devil's bargain with HTC was that its bloatware items should be treated preferentially by the system and kept in RAM, so that users would experience rapid load up if they chose to use them; and likely this was to manage perceptions (i.e., so that users wouldn't complain that this software they didn't ask for ALSO runs really slowly).

Bottom line: if carrier bloatware, and not crapware that you loaded yourself, is you concern vis-a-vis battery life, then you 1) need not be concerned and 2) you are barking up the wrong tree for a solution with ATK.

Edit: thread re: Lifehacker article on task killers.

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
LMAO learn about it, you are the one i think that needs to do some reading

yes it will start back up, and then you waste CPU cycles killing it, then it starts back up again etc. but if you actually look at how many CPU cycles the bloatware is eating up you will see its nothing. You are actually using more CPU power and battery constantly killing them.

I am sorry but you obviously just dont get it if you still say a task killer needed or helps your battery. You have other issues that are causing battery drain that you can actually solve by using my advice above. Or you can simply act blind on the issue and continue to use your task killer and never fix your problems

Matt knows what he is talking about and totally agree that newbies
need to learn more about Froyo if they think ATK helps !!
Once you delete ATK, your phone's OS will need several days to
learn how to optimize memory use after being screwed up by
Advanced Task Killer ...ATK.
By running ATK on a Froyo Linux system, you are keeping the OS
in a constant tailspin it can't recover from until removal and relearning.

Dperks17

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't use it anymore and then i flashed the new 2.6.32.17 htc kernel and my phone runs even faster, charges faster, and I get about 13-14 hours on a full charge with a stock 1300Mah Battery. I'm happy haha

beef5stew

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I still use ATK. Why? Because I have some programs that I like to use, but were coded poorly by the original developer. With no clean "exit" routine and it's ability to continue to run in the background, the only way to actually disable it is with ATK.

Froyo doesn't need a task manager, but poor developers do.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Can someone tell me exactly how to use system panel? I have it on my phone based on suggestions. I am having battery issues. I refuse to believe anyone at verizon when they mention task killers. I want to know exactly what to look for in system panel. I want to know whether or not an app that I'm running is a bad app. I also would like to know if there are any known apps that are bad that I shouldn't use. By the way, I like to have my GPS on just because of the fact that I use the weather channel app. I'll deal with that battery drain but everything else I don't have on. I don't have wifi or bluetooth on. But back to my original question. Is there anyone out there that can teach me how to use system panel effectively? This would be greatly appreciated!

mfj

Banned
Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
ATK works good for me on Froyo. Although the background apps are taking away much battery life (if any), it does lower the amount of RAM available to other applications. For example, every time I use ATK, it frees up around 40-50mb of RAM, and everything runs better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo