I should know, but where are apps stored by default on the Dinc ?

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
I should know this, but where are apps stored by default on the Dinc ?
I know I have 8GB of internal storage, plus a 16GB SD card

I assume apps are installed on internal memory is that right ?

How much internal memory is there on the Dinc ? The internal memory is not the same as the 8GB of internal storage, correct ?

When apps. have the option of being moved to the SD card, is this accomplished by using a file explorer and moving them there ?

Sorry for the basic questions, I haven't gone app crazy, but was curious.

Jason.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
For the most part by default apps are stored in the internal memory which is the same as your storage space the 8GB. However since 2.2 release many apps are being switched by the developers to store directly to the SD card and some are being made so that you can move them to the SD card. In the settings menu under applications you can choose to manage applications and then you can see downloaded, running, all, and on SD card. If you go to all and click on any app the scree that comes up will give you the size of each app and then there will be a button that says move to SD or move to phone depending on where that app is stored. Not all apps have the ability to moved to the SD card but that will give you an idea of what is where and how you can better manage the storage space on both the phone and the SD card at least as far as the apps are concerned.

Reactions: jasonvancouver

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
For the most part by default apps are stored in the internal memory which is the same as your storage space the 8GB. However since 2.2 release many apps are being switched by the developers to store directly to the SD card and some are being made so that you can move them to the SD card. In the settings menu under applications you can choose to manage applications and then you can see downloaded, running, all, and on SD card. If you go to all and click on any app the scree that comes up will give you the size of each app and then there will be a button that says move to SD or move to phone depending on where that app is stored. Not all apps have the ability to moved to the SD card but that will give you an idea of what is where and how you can better manage the storage space on both the phone and the SD card at least as far as the apps are concerned.

Great, thanks for the explanation. So, it sounds like some apps. by default are being stored on the SD card when installed.....and other apps. we have to manually move to the SD card on our own, do I have that right ?

Also, 8GB or storage seems like a pretty healthy amount of storage for apps.

thanks for the info.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Great, thanks for the explanation. So, it sounds like some apps. by default are being stored on the SD card when installed.....and other apps. we have to manually move to the SD card on our own, do I have that right ?

thanks for the info.
Yes, but not all apps can be moved to the SD card. Many developers are reporting that their app or some of it's functions will only work if the app is in the internal memory. This seems to be particularly true of app that work in the background.

Over time we can expect developers to at least be able to move parts of their apps out to the SD card. But in some cases this requires fairly major changes.

Vudumedic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

thanks for the info.

It is a decent amount of storage, and is said below some can, and some can't be moved. If you are like a lot of us and came to the INC from a BB of some sort especially the storms then add away on apps it will take quite a while to fill the 8GB. In that screen if the option exists to move the app the little box will be highlighted and you will be able to click on it.

finanandroid

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I should know this, but where are apps stored by default on the Dinc ?
I know I have 8GB of internal storage, plus a 16GB SD card

I assume apps are installed on internal memory is that right ?

How much internal memory is there on the Dinc ? The internal memory is not the same as the 8GB of internal storage, correct ?

When apps. have the option of being moved to the SD card, is this accomplished by using a file explorer and moving them there ?

Sorry for the basic questions, I haven't gone app crazy, but was curious.

Jason.
Apks are stored in the internal system/app and the maximun memory is 748 mb.
You can moved some of them to the internal phone memory or to the external sd card
Buy by default apks are installed on the root phone system 748 mb.

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Apks are stored in the internal system/app and the maximun memory is 748 mb.
You can moved some of them to the internal phone memory or to the external sd card
Buy by default apks are installed on the root phone system 748 mb.

Ok, so that is different information that the earlier posters....who advised that apps are stored on the 8GB of internal memory. Which one is it ?

Will my phone tell me when storage space is getting low ?

I've had no problems, just curious.

finanandroid

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
D INC Phone memory is 748mb

Ok, so that is different information that the earlier posters....who advised that apps are stored on the 8GB of internal memory. Which one is it ?

Will my phone tell me when storage space is getting low ?

I've had no problems, just curious.

Yes your phone will let you know if you run out of space, but most Apks are small sizes like 34k to 1MB so there is a lot apk that can be installed in the Incredible Phone memory (748MB) you can check how much memory you have by going to Menu>Setting>SD & Phone Storage so there can be found.. SD memory/Internal memory/ and Phone Memory available. additional you can move or delete apk that came pre installed with the phone and you dont use or like it to save space. but you have to be Rooted.

Reactions: jasonvancouver

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Applications are stored in the phones memory which is 748MB. The 8GB of phone storage is for music, pictures, etc...

jasonvancouver

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
Yes your phone will let you know if you run out of space, but most Apks are small sizes like 34k to 1MB so there is a lot apk that can be installed in the Incredible Phone memory (748MB) you can check how much memory you have by going to Menu>Setting>SD & Phone Storage so there can be found.. SD memory/Internal memory/ and Phone Memory available. additional you can move or delete apk that came pre installed with the phone and you dont use or like it to save space. but you have to be Rooted.

Well, I looked and I have 662MB available out of 748MB... so I take it this app storage issue is probably not a major issue for most users. And... when I can move apps to the SD card I can save even more space.

thanks !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez