[Help] Slow Wired or Wireless Tether Speed

UWPVIOLATOR

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
So I run a speed test from my phone and I get around 1MB/s but still don't get close to that when I download files. When I tether to my laptop wireless I get around 100-150Kb/s. When I tether with Wired I get around 100Kb/s.

Any suggestions of what is going on here? It seems that Verizon it allowing me to connect super fast to the speed test but not to everything else.

rosser

Former Advisor
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
So I run a speed test from my phone and I get around 1MB/s but still don't get close to that when I download files. When I tether to my laptop wireless I get around 100-150Kb/s. When I tether with Wired I get around 100Kb/s.

Any suggestions of what is going on here? It seems that Verizon it allowing me to connect super fast to the speed test but not to everything else.
Are you doing the speed test from SpeedTest.net? Because that is not always correct. You may want to check it with mobilespeedtest.com . Also, which application are you using to tether?

UWPVIOLATOR

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I have tried multiple tethering programs. PDAnet and Easy Tether and for wireless Wireless Tether 2.0.7.

Just ran a speed test from that and got 824 Kb/s on the phone

Got 400Kb/s on Tether but when I download a couple files I only get about 150 Kb/s.

So what do you thing is up?

trjnberry

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Same results on a BlackBerry...

I took interet in this thread because I have been suspecting for some time now that I get faster speeds on my phone than I do when I tether. Eligible for my NE2 discount, I am still debating on which Android to get, spending the big $$ on the Thunderbolt or going potentially free with Droid Incredible or Droid X. Anyhow, that's a discussion for another thread, but I did want to share my results for use on a BlackBerry, to offer an opinion that this may not be just a Droid issue.

I ran mobilespeedtest.com's speedtest on my phone and got 484 kbps. Running on the same test via Tether, I got 117 kbs. Same 3G connection but the tethering is much slower. The reason I have been suspecting a slower speed is that I have no problem viewing video on my phone, but I can't seem to view video online via tethering. I figure that video is more data intensive, thus if I got a slower speed online than I do on my phone, that may explain why I get multiple buffering data alerts when I try to view online video via tethering.

@rosser, thank's for the tip on mobilespeedtest.com. It seems much more reliable than speedtest.net. I am going to try it on the Thunderbolt when I go back to the Verizon store. Maybe I won't get speeds like 12 Mbs down & 30 mbs up. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get the "true" speeds of the phone, like 3 Mbs down and 0.5 mbs up! :D

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget that there is overhead associated with any tethering app. It's not a magical pipe connecting your computer to the internet. The phone has to send receive on the wireless side, process and route the data on the phone and send receive on the tether side. Plus, if you're using USB you are using a limited bandwidth connection to start with.

The speeds you're getting tethering do not seem abnormal to me.