Please Help - Rooting Issues - Goal ICS

knaras

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Yall,

I'm a relative newbie, but definitely tech savy and can follow instructions well. I'm running a Verizon OTA updated phone running Froyo 2.3.5 Here's my goal "Get the latest and cleanest version of ICS on my Fascinate."

So here is where I'm at now, so I was able to get the "SuperUser" icon in the app drawer using Post 4 from (http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-please-read-post-1-before-posting-forum.html), but it looks like I'm not rooted. I know this because I downloaded and paid for the Pro version of Titanium Backup. However, every time I open up Titanium it says that I don't have Root Access.

There does not seem to be a "su" file in the SD Card or a "busybox" file, which is what I think the problem is. I did this as well http://www.androidcentral.com/is-my-phone-rooted and found out my phone was technically not rooted.

So then I tried another method and followed this video How to Root the Samsung Fascinate (Verizon) in 2 minutes - YouTube.

This changed my interface on the phone a little bit (I have been using Launcher Pro, my setting have changed,a home screen button, which I dont know how to remove is in my app drawer), but still no root access as I check root access through Connectbot again.

Then I went back and followed the exact instructions on Post 4 using ADB, but when I get to the second "adb devices" after the "./rage.bin" the device can't be found.

I'm going on several hours on just trying to root and I know I havent even scratched the surface of figuring out how to flash ICS to the phone. I'm getting a little discouraged since everyone seems to say that rooting is simple and easy so any help, guidance and encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

I wanted to try Post 5, but http://adrynalyne.us/files/odin/su-2...usybox1.19.zip seems to be broken, so if someone could update this that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
K

anon268366

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to root to flash ICS. Flashing the ROM will give you root. For ICS you need to flash clock work mod (CWM) 5. It should be for cyanogen mod 7.1. Sorry I don't have links but you should be able to search and find instructions how how to flash this. Then follow instructions on how to flash cyanogen mod, just replace the cyanogen mod files with the ICS files.

There is another thread a couple down in these forums that have links to ICS. On page 88 JT posted a link to the latest version. Or stick with version 3 on page one.

Hopefully this is enough to get you in the right direction. Again sorry I don't have links.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

KevinPhelps11

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
To get ICS (Usual disclaimers apply. I am not responsible if your phone is broken. That said, Odin can most likely fix a broken phone.):

1. Download ICS from the thread over at rootzwiki.com. Copy the zip file to your SD Card.
2. Download the EH03 full package and PIT file. Flash it. READ UP ON ODIN IF YOU ARE UNFAMILIAR.
3. Odin Clockwork Recovery 4: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BQM3B3CB
4. Use the three-button combo to get the Recovery.
5. Backup/Restore->Backup
6. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
7. Wipe Cache
8. Advanced->Wipe Dalvik Cache
9. Choose "Install zip from SD Card" and select the download zip file.
10. Reboot and enjoy ICS. :)

Jmac9

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I would add to Kevins great tutorial....I went round and round trying to get ICS until I saw it was recommended to flash Build #2 first then #3. I kept getting the boot loop when trying to go straight to #3 and then couldn't get back to recovery even using the three finger salute! After ODINing back for the umpteenth time, I finally figured it out. GPS still not sketchy, so if thats important,hold off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38