Problems before I even get to the actual root

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the zip file and extracted the files (that went fine) and I tried to download the 32 bit driver. Took like a half our, and all it did was say that it couldn't install it and it failed. My friend suggested I reboot and I did, I'm attempting to install again but fear I'll just have the same problem. Did this happen to anyone else? I have Windows Vista, if that makes a difference.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
How comfortable with windows are you? You might have to manually update the driver. With the phone plugged in, click start, right click on computer, click device manager, then look for unknown hardware. Update the driver using the path you installed the driver you downloaded from Samsung.

If this doesn't work there are other options.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Debug is on, I put in the phone, and when i try to install the driver that way, it gives me an error message and I don't do it that way, either.

PDANet as an alternative method? What..?

iTz Nicholas72

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Are you sure you have 32-bit Windows?

Also you do NOT have to have the phone plugged in to install the drivers.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I know I don't, but I tried to install the driver with the exe file, spent 3 hours of my day and two attempts, only to have them fail twice. So I had it plugged in to see if somehow I already have the driver installed. I don't.

Yes, under Control Panel it told me I have 32 Bit.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Update the drivers manually. Point windows to the folder you unzipped the usb_drivers_galaxy__x32 zip file.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
There's no folder that I unzipped (it was just an exe file from the One Click Root page).. in the root folder I unzipped there is no usb_drivers_galaxy__x32 zip file. Not that I can see. Can you help me figure out how I find it?

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Worked! Thanks a lot for your help everyone. That was frustrating, but it works now, I'm rooted and ran CWM.. going to have to play with this later.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Nandroid is your friend. Backup before you do anything. You might also want to look at dome of the backup apps on the market. Backup favorites, texts, call logs and app data.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
You can use it to backup setting and app data once you are rooted. So if you flash a rom, you can restore your home screens and data.

I suggest removing the bloated and see how that works for you first. Then if you want more look at the roms on xda-developers.com fascinate forums.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I just don't know all of the techy language so I hesitate to flash a ROM, though I want to. For now, in the immediate future, I'm happy simply with a debloated phone.