Not sure I really debloated?

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I went through the steps in Root Manager to rename the bloat files in the "Apps safe to remove once rooted" thread. I also run Launcher Pro so I had all of the apps hidden by default. Out of curiosity, I made Daily Briefing and Bing visible, two things I know I got rid of. I clicked them, and they opened. So clearly, I didn't really debloat. Was there something else I needed to do aside from renaming them .apk.old? I didn't think so. But does anyone know why I'm having this problem?

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I had trouble getting rid of Daily Briefing until I renamed InfoAlarm.*. Will Daily Briefing or Bing actually run if you press the icon?

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
what did you use to rename the files? I had this issue when I used AndExplorer to rename the files, but it didn't have root control to do the renaming and it never gave me an error saying it wasn't renamed. If the file is still there and not renamed, then use something like Super Manager or Root Explorer to rename the files.

or... you can use Titanium Backup (paid version) to freeze the apps, but you can't do that with the bing since it needs to be renamed in order for you to use the google voice search (I think)

abowlofsoda

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
If you had them hidden with LauncherPro then why would you need to rename the files?

It seems to me that there is no difference as the files are still there either way just hidden. Both ways hide them from you so nothing is gained by going one way over the other.

I'm only pointing this out because recently I was having all kinds of Dialer issues as well as other apps just force closing all the time.
When I put back all the de-bloat files and just hid them with LauncherPro everything seems to be working fine again.

And I only de-bloated what was deemed safe in a thread here.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
If the icons are still in the application try, you didn't debloat. What I actually do is copy the files out if /system/app to /sdcard/bloat that way its easy to copy them back in if I need to. After you debloat you should see less pages in the app drawer. Those icons for the apps you removed won't show up.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I misspoke. The two I said above were in the app drawer, but Blockbuster, CityID- those weren't there anymore. So I did debloat. But I think I'm going to rename the files back to .apk but move them onto the SD card. I think that would make my life easier anyway.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
If you had them hidden with LauncherPro then why would you need to rename the files?

It seems to me that there is no difference as the files are still there either way just hidden. Both ways hide them from you so nothing is gained by going one way over the other.

I'm only pointing this out because recently I was having all kinds of Dialer issues as well as other apps just force closing all the time.
When I put back all the de-bloat files and just hid them with LauncherPro everything seems to be working fine again.

And I only de-bloated what was deemed safe in a thread here.

hiding programs with LauncherPro doesn't actually do much to the programs except hides the icon, it doesn't remove it at all. If you rename or remove the file, then the program won't be able to start at all.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Jack is right. To truly de-bloat the programs have to be unable to start up. Either by renaming them or moving them to the SD card. Dirrk has put together a good script that will do it for you. It is in the first page of the thread that states what apps are save to "remove".

http://forum.androidcentral.com/339916-post2.html

The above requires use of the ADB and or the Android SDK.

Renaming the correct files to "....apk.old" will effectively do this but you have to use Root Explorer. You can also just move them to your SD card in a folder you named yourself so you can find them easily in case you have to put them back before returning the phone. The phone will not look to your SD card to run the apps you do not want.

iTz Nicholas72

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I just used Titanium Back Up Pro to freeze the apps. That way when I need to update all I have to do is unfreeze them.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member