STUPID question about "Dummy Tether Kernel" in 2.6

L_Boogie820

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
2.6 flashed smooth. love everything so far. Question: This "dummy tether kernel"...what EXACTLY does this mean? I was expecting like a Tether app in my drawer (using Launcher Pro). Does this mean I can you my 3G Mobile Hotspot app and won't get hit with charges from VZW? I attempted to go through the first 10 pages of the forum and no one seemed to have asked this...thanks guys

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
2.6 flashed smooth. love everything so far. Question: This "dummy tether kernel"...what EXACTLY does this mean? I was expecting like a Tether app in my drawer (using Launcher Pro). Does this mean I can you my 3G Mobile Hotspot app and won't get hit with charges from VZW? I attempted to go through the first 10 pages of the forum and no one seemed to have asked this...thanks guys

thats what the hope is from my understanding. i dont ues that feature so havent tried it.

L_Boogie820

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
lol, unlike some people here, they dont mind running that risk....i dont have a money tree so im afraid to try it unless i can use it without being charged lol.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If it were going to charge you for it still, you would get a message to confirm adding the service to your account. Legally, they can't change the services on your contract without your consent. So there really is no risk of trying something out and getting unknowingly charged for it.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
As a test, earlier this morning I tried using the 3g hotspot app without a dummy tether kernel. Everything appeared to be up and running fine on the phone, but any computers connected to it did not have internet access. Just running the app did not change any features on my VZ account though. There's no harm in trying it with a tether kernel. Either it will work or it won't. I'm not running one so I cannot test this myself.

geocomp

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I used Barnacle WiFi Tether on a few occasions with the pre-EB16 kernels and never had any extra charges on my monthly billing statement. My usage was very small though and I doubt it was enough for Verizon to flag the usage.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
How do we know if the dummy tether kernel has been applied - any way to tell?
the only way to tell AFAIK (yay i used it) ,,is to download setcpu> info, in the kernel section write down the description , then check it against other kernel downloaded,,,besides that i dont know

Brettdacosta

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Does the kernel version in the "about phone" not tell? Or it'll be the same as the previous kernel? Could I get a description for the stock 2.6 kernel to compare to - don't want to flash a new rom just to check the old kernel description.

Also - this basically just covers up our Barnacle or Wireless Tether usage, right? I mean - we don't have to use the 3g mobile hotspot thing people are talking about to have our tracks removed, right?

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Does the kernel version in the "about phone" not tell? Or it'll be the same as the previous kernel? Could I get a description for the stock 2.6 kernel to compare to - don't want to flash a new rom just to check the old kernel description.

Also - this basically just covers up our Barnacle or Wireless Tether usage, right? I mean - we don't have to use the 3g mobile hotspot thing people are talking about to have our tracks removed, right?

The kernel version number provided is just for the codebase, it does not distinguish between any of the modifications (like voodoo/nonvoodoo, tether, etc) so sadly you just need to pay attention in CWM and remember the last zip you flashed. There is no other way to be sure (unless you test some specific funcationality.)

Reactions: Brettdacosta