Wifi checks

Dmabe

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to update to the com rom 1.3, still running 1.2 with the ED01 radio. I have been monitoring battery usage over the past couple of weeks since installing it and continue to notice a large portion of my battery usage is going out to wifi. I left the house early this morning and didn't get home until late tonight. 43% of my battery usage was from wifi. I only use wifi at home and was wondering if there is a way to change how often wifi actually checks for wifi signal. I know there are apps on the market that use gps, but where I live it doesn't work(poor gps performance I would guess).

I understand different roms, themes and kernels all change battery consumption, and for the most part I understand that so it makes it difficult to compare phones. My wifes phone and mine are identicial in roms, themes, radios and kernels and battery consumption, if not used (Only tested over night, about 9 hours) is exact. Well, same percentage loss over time. Both phones point to this WIFI thing and it's got me frustrated.

So, sorry long winded, does anyone know of any apps that can be installed that don't use GPS that changes the wifi check interval or do I need to continue to use the manual turn on and turn off feature in settings. How often does my wifi check for access anyway with 1.2?

Thanks to all that make these Rom's, Kernels and Themes I really do enjoy playing with them.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
If you only use wifi at home, then you should toggle it off when you go to work. Otherwise, your phome will continue to search fpr a wifi connection that does not exist and will drain your battery

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
yeah that is the easiest answer right there. Maybe there is an app that either schedules when to check (or not to) or only turns on when some predetermined WiFi connections are around

FearTheGhost13

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I have yet to update to the com rom 1.3, still running 1.2 with the ED01 radio. I have been monitoring battery usage over the past couple of weeks since installing it and continue to notice a large portion of my battery usage is going out to wifi. I left the house early this morning and didn't get home until late tonight. 43% of my battery usage was from wifi. I only use wifi at home and was wondering if there is a way to change how often wifi actually checks for wifi signal. I know there are apps on the market that use gps, but where I live it doesn't work(poor gps performance I would guess).

I understand different roms, themes and kernels all change battery consumption, and for the most part I understand that so it makes it difficult to compare phones. My wifes phone and mine are identicial in roms, themes, radios and kernels and battery consumption, if not used (Only tested over night, about 9 hours) is exact. Well, same percentage loss over time. Both phones point to this WIFI thing and it's got me frustrated.

So, sorry long winded, does anyone know of any apps that can be installed that don't use GPS that changes the wifi check interval or do I need to continue to use the manual turn on and turn off feature in settings. How often does my wifi check for access anyway with 1.2?

Thanks to all that make these Rom's, Kernels and Themes I really do enjoy playing with them.

Also go into settings> wireless & network> wifi settings> advanced> wifi sleep policy and set it to "when screen turns off" That will make it so wifi isn't using up your battery while the phone is asleep as it is also in a sleep state.

jjcasillas15

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Also go into settings> wireless & network> wifi settings> advanced> wifi sleep policy and set it to "when screen turns off" That will make it so wifi isn't using up your battery while the phone is asleep as it is also in a sleep state.

Did not know you could do that. Thanks for the heads up!