Battery benefit from rooting

willenium_1217

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
I posted this on the Roms/Hack section and no one responds! So I have finally made the decision to root my phone today. I have had the phone for 3 months. The biggest reason is because for some strange reason, the last 2 weeks my battery has drained like crazy. More than usual. So the actual question here is what can I do to help my battery life after rooting. Does de-bloating help battery life as well? Also, off subject, if I move the .apk files to my sdcard, do I have to rename them so they don't show up on my system?

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Some will say the battery life won't be different, but mine is better. I rooted and removed all the bloat and my battery life improved. It wasn't bad in the first place though.

Did you copy or actually move the .apk files? If you moved them then you are all set. If you copied them, just delete them from your /system/app folder after you copy them to your SD card.

joe007

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Rooted and jt's custom DJ05 ROM helped. I work in building and get no signal, so my phone freaks out trying every second to get a 3G signal. Has your location changed in the last two weeks? Are in more buildings or basements or steel reinforced bunkers? In the open and rooted you should see better battery life.

Then do the normal, turn your screen brightness, I like the stock power gadget and turn mine off. Beautiful widgets has a nice one too.

Turn off WiFi if you are not in range.

Do you have a lot of apps that are updating in the background?

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I definitely think rooting and flashing a custom rom will help your battery. It's the easiest way to get rid of all the bloat that is running in the background. I would also flash one of the non-voodoo kernels. Now that you're rooted, take the plunge and go all the way. You'll be happier in the long run.

fstbusa

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
battery life should NOT be affected by rooting. Rooting only allows you to have superuser access to your system files, nothing else.

In fact, if you remove some of the bloatware, I would assume you should see a better battery life because you don't have as much software running.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
battery life should NOT be affected by rooting. Rooting only allows you to have superuser access to your system files, nothing else.

In fact, if you remove some of the bloatware, I would assume you should see a better battery life because you don't have as much software running.

+1 all you did with rooting was move some files around, rooting itself does nothing, its what you do with the root permission that changes things

joe007

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site

I hear you, I too was a skeptic until I tried it. Not sure why it made a difference.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It all depends on what you do AFTER rooting. Like Droidxcon said, rooting itself isn't going to change anything to make battery performance improve. Now, removing some of that Verizon bloatware on the other hand will ;)

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Just MAKE SURE you freeze the bloat, either manually through the command line, with Titanium Backup Premium, or my own app Bloat Freezer.

It is so painful seeing all the tutorials telling people to DELETE bloat system apps, but not telling them that if they dont back them up to put them back later and reset the UNIX permissions correctly, they will never be able to get OTA updates again. :mad:

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Just install a custom rom and forget about ota updates. The leaked version always seems to come first.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

willenium_1217

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
All of you guys are BAD @$$! (I don't remember if swearing is allowed) I will just move and copy the bloatware after I get the new update, if I ever get it. Also, I would like to flash roms and kernels but it is too advanced for me. I will try the moving of bloatware and see if that helps me. Thanks again!

willenium_1217

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Rooted and jt's custom DJ05 ROM helped. I work in building and get no signal, so my phone freaks out trying every second to get a 3G signal. Has your location changed in the last two weeks? Are in more buildings or basements or steel reinforced bunkers? In the open and rooted you should see better battery life.

Then do the normal, turn your screen brightness, I like the stock power gadget and turn mine off. Beautiful widgets has a nice one too.

Turn off WiFi if you are not in range.

Do you have a lot of apps that are updating in the background?

I thought of that too because I work in schools and sometimes I don't get the best reception as some schools have asked the wireless companies to help stop unauthorized usage of phones. But it really wasn't to bad until I woke up one morning at full charge and went to work and it was at 60% by the time I got to my office. I also uninstalled winamp. I think it kept my wi-fi on behind the scenes to get music wirelessly.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
It isn't that hard to flash roms. Odin is scary but its actually very easy. Plus once you get clockwork recovery installed and Rom Manager, its a breeze to flash roms. This isn't the Evo, you don't need to run anything from the command line. Odin is a Windows app so its point and click.

willenium_1217

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
It isn't that hard to flash roms. Odin is scary but its actually very easy. Plus once you get clockwork recovery installed and Rom Manager, its a breeze to flash roms. This isn't the Evo, you don't need to run anything from the command line. Odin is a Windows app so its point and click.

I might have to look into it. The word Odin scares me. It sounds like a binary. Anyway I will see.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bensonboon24