Is there future for Fascinate beyond Gingerbread?

3dsign

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
With just 339 mb of user available RAM on Froyo, what do you think is the future of this handset? The rest of the hardware is pretty awesome and good enough to last another 1-1.5years alongside the newcomers, but the only thing that bothers me is the available RAM (or the lack of it).

The way new versions keep churning out every 3-4 months, and given that phone applications will only get more complex and require more RAM (like PC applications have over the years),do you think there is future for this handset beyond Gingerbread?

therent

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
past 2.2? nah. i think theyre done after 2.2 officially. But im cool with that. Im just glad im not using my old HTC touch diamond anymore. Yuck, talk about the dark ages.

3dsign

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
To be honest...I don't even think we will see gingerbread on the fascinate. Not officially anyway
AFAIK, Samsung has confirmed Gingerbread upgrade for Galaxy S lineup. So yes, it is coming. Its another story though that by the time VZW fills it with garbage and approves it, man will be on mars probably. Or atleast half way through to it.*Sigh* :/

kaos already has an alpha gingerbread. keep in mind you can install apps on your sd.

Yes, apps can be installed on the sdcard, but when they run, they will consume precious system memory which is very scarce on this phone by today's smartphone standards. So either ways, 339mb will not cut it beyond 2011, i guess.

SGS2 and others newer models are coming soon, packed with 1GB RAM. I think 1GB will be the ideal sweet spot. It'll be good for atleast 2-3 yrs.
300-400mb of the current Galaxy series is just too less.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Gingerbread is likely coming out for the galaxy line. If the Nexus S can run gingerbread, then a galaxy phone can.

Last edited:

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
LOL. There is no future for the fascinate beyond Cyanogen. I think gingerbread is a pipe dream to be honest. If you're like me then you're on a one year phone cycle, not two, so it's mostly irrelevant. I love my fascinate without reservation, and it will gladly carry me through the end of 2011 so I can sit here and happily wait for another phone that catches my eye like it does. Really I'm more excited for the Super AMOLD Plus than I am about 1gb of Ram or a 1.2 ghz dual core, but they're in the running. Just for the record, the galaxy S LTE is gonna be on the shelves pretty quick, and while it's not a bunker buster it'll be pretty nice.

Galaxy S LTE phone is A.K.A. Samsung Inspire BTW.

3dsign

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy S LTE phone is A.K.A. Samsung Inspire BTW.

I guess you meant Samsung Infuse. ;)

And yes, I agree the future of Fascinate will be dependent on custom roms based on froyo or stripped down versions of Gingerbread. Lets hope we have devs onboard by the end of the year who would be interested in keeping this baby alive. They are our only hope. Otherwise, no future beyond 2011. :(

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm not even expecting Gingerbread, honestly. I think the only way we're going to see it is in some unofficial form. Fortunately, I'm OK with that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo