[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phone!!

Step666

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD for Palm Touchstone without solderin

The way it's taped down on the other end, the shiny side makes contact with the pins on the board and the sticky side is on the pogo pin contacts. That's why I noted that you might want to solder that end if you plan on using the pogp pins. I also added that you could try folding the tape so that the shiny side made contact with both sides when you assemble the phone.
My apologies.
I don't have all the kit yet, so I hadn't opened my handset up and I hadn't grasped the way it was all connected up.

The POS eBay seller I ordered the Touchstone docks from is trying to back out on the deal, claiming there's no stock available even though he still has 3 or 4 listings active.
Reckon he's changed his mind about the offer I'd made/he'd accepted.

ame29

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

Just wrote up a big response to post on my failure and disappointment with the process, but figured out what went wrong. In other words it works. It took about 2.5 hours of uninterrupted time. Got everything in place but I could not get the back plate copper to connect to the side plate copper. finally figured out 2 things. First my side shell was not all the way back on. And second, the copper tape going from the coil was not picking up on my voltmeter. I think that when I was trying to rework it the grease on my hands or perhaps the copper itself lost its ability to conduct. Replaced that and all was well.

One other problem I haven't figured out yet is back plate fitting over the extended battery. I've tried and tried and it just does not snap on. Right now the ext. plate fits perfect over the stock battery. I am gonna try reworking a bit and see if I can't make it fit.

Another thing is the magnets. I would definitely go with the super magnets in the link on OP. The ones on the pre were weak. I tried them out and realized pretty quick they were going to suck.

As for a case. I have the Diztronic case on, and believe it or not it is charging through the effing case! I thought I was going to have to turn this thing into a bumper. :) It does look to be charging at a slower speed though, so maybe a no-go in the long run.

As for my skills, this was the first time I've ever done something like this. As long as you take your time, don't get in a hurry, and make sure you do quality work then it is not difficult.

kichard

May 23, 2011
Visit site

I just spent around 2 hours doing this mod. It's not hard, just time consuming. I can't get the cover to close completely no matter where I put the coil so I scrapped it. If anyone wants some copper tape PM me.

Legacystar

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

***This mod uses components that use the Qi standard for inductive charging and not the palm touchstone, as palm and powermat use proprietary charging methods. I used them because not only is Qi the standard going foward, it's all i actually had at the time lol***

Here is my mod. I have been waiting to do this since before the nexus came out. i used to have a thunderbolt with a wireless charging setup from verizon. i sold the Tbolt but kept the back cover.

So this mod is done with the Thunderbolt inductive charge cover.

the Main difference between this mod and the palm touchstone is that all verizon phones with wireless charging doors all have 4 pin instead of 2. i located the pin that was throwing 5Volts and just connected that and the ground just like the OP's post said. but when i tried to charge it, nothing happened and the pad was blinking red. Long story short, there are 2 powers and 2 grounds. one power is only 3volts and one is 5volts. when you connect the 3volt to the 5volt it still only outputs 5volts. so both grounds need to be soldered together and both powers need to be soldered together.
Untitled-1.png

Excuse the sloppy look, i just finished, going to go back and touch it up and make it look all pretty later

IMG_20120206_104910.jpg

IMG_20120206_104905.jpg

IMG_20120206_104652.jpg

IMG_20120206_105518.jpg

I do have one suggestion for you guys. anyone the Copper tape (which you can buy at lowes in the gardening section, apparently it's used to guard against snails) and dont want to use tape to cover the exposed power lines, i suggest getting a can of black spraypaint and coating the tape except for the points of contact. this way nothing gets shorted out and it looks professional.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohiomoto

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Cool. thanks for sharing and nice tip on the copper tape at Lowes.

Step666

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Wait I know of the touchstone but what are you using to charge with? What's this device called?
Is that addressed to Legacystar?

If so, then I'm pretty certain it's part of the inductive charging kit Verizon sell for the Thunderbolt - comes with it's own pad rather like Powermat's pads.

imomperousse

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Is that addressed to Legacystar?

If so, then I'm pretty certain it's part of the inductive charging kit Verizon sell for the Thunderbolt - comes with it's own pad rather like Powermat's pads.

Yea sorry was for legacy star...didn't even know there was one out for the thunderbolt...any advantages going the thunderbolt route?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Legacystar

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Wait I know of the touchstone but what are you using to charge with? What's this device called?

it is the pad that verizon sells in there stores an online. it is a Qi compatible charger
Set Your Location

i got a deal on my pad but $49 is rather expensive for a 1 position charger. I plan on getting the 2 position plus usb plug version from Energizer
Amazon.com: Energizer Qi-Enabled 3 Position Inductive Charger (Black): Health & Personal Care

Legacystar

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

Yea sorry was for legacy star...didn't even know there was one out for the thunderbolt...any advantages going the thunderbolt route?

as far as i know ( and i just realized this, may have to edit my write up) Palm doesn't use the Qi standard for wireless charging, just like powermat, i think its proprietary. So i guess the advantage of going with the thunderbolt is i can use a variety of charge pads and it's also future proof since Qi is the standard for inductive charging going forward. also the magnets are in the pad itself and not on the phone so no need to worry about magnetic interference. the pad is attracted to the copper coil and it sticks decently

I would like to point out you don't have to use the one from the thunderbolt specifically, as a number of Verizon devices have inductive back covers available, some at only a few dollars.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...on.com/batteries-and-chargers/&token=D-gft1Tz

At this time it seems the thunderbolt one isn't being listed on verizons website anymore, but my instructions for wiring up verizon chargers will work because, from what i've seen, they all have 4 pins

Last edited:

Step666

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Whilst it's certainly a shame that the Touchstone doesn't conform to the Qi standard (though in Palm's defence, I believe it pre-dates the standard's creation), for now the relatively cheap and plentiful nature of the Touchstone equipment makes it less of an issue.

By the time Qi takes off enough for it to be an issue, I would imagine that a lot of phones will have the equipment built in - IMO of course.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

For me, the big advantage to the Touchstone besides the fact that I already have a bunch of them is that it can be used as a car dock. That and i like the compactness and look of them. They don't look out of place on the nightstand of kitchen counter IMO.

anon(5101585)

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for this awesome guide! I look forward to trying it when I receive my GSM Galaxy Nexus-hopefully it works just as well!

Did anyone try and have success with different magnets? I've tried finding cheaper options on eBay but those that are the correct size are N35. But I believe there are some 8mmx1mm as someone else here mentioned. I just don't want to risk bigger magnets if they are more likely to interfere with NFC/compass/GPS.

Thanks!

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

The compass is probably already hosed, GPS should be fine and not sure about NFC. You should be fine with the larger magnets.

mikemck

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

OK, I'm taking the plunge. I found a touchstone kit, with back, on eBay for just over 12 bucks.

At the beginning of the guide the last tape source listed is for tape just under 1/8" wide.

Is there any problem using the more narrow tape? Is there enough copper to carry the current?

In the car I think I will attach the touchstone to my old Droid mount.

Thanks.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
OK, I'm taking the plunge. I found a touchstone kit, with back, on eBay for just over 12 bucks.

At the beginning of the guide the last tape source listed is for tape just under 1/8" wide.

Is there any problem using the more narrow tape? Is there enough copper to carry the current?

In the car I think I will attach the touchstone to my old Droid mount.

Thanks.

If you get the stuff on ebay, it is over a inch wide. It only cost a couple of bucks shipped and ships quickly. You just cut it to the width you need.

acaplinger

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Dash mount ideas and temperature warning

For those of you planning to put a Touchstone in your car once you mod your Galaxy Nexus, you may want to read this huge thread over at webOSNation.

Also, in my 2-year experience with a dash-mounted Touchstone, they are very sensitive to heat. They will not charge when the temp in the car is over 75 or 80. I'm not sure if this was a battery protection circuit within the Pre or within the Touchstone, or possibly within the little board attached to the coil, but the phone would bounce between charging/not-charging every other second, which obviously meant it couldn't keep up with anything.

Thanks, OP for posting this. My modding supplies are due to arrive Thursday. I've really been missing my Touchstones!

-Andrew

Reactions: ohiomoto

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty