HTC Sense on a Samsung Galaxy device!

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Coming from my first real smartphone being the D Inc and enjoying the experience and being an early adopter of the buggy ICS on my Nexus, I miss some elements of Sense. I had CM7 and nova launcher on the D inc but found myself preferring roms like skyrader.
I had the Inc just the way I liked it and I would like to do the same with my Nexus but I expect some people on these boards would call me crazy however I think with the hardware and the horsepower of the Samsung Nexus, the things that made sense laggy wont really be an issue.

What are the chances that a rom built for a new HTC phone will run on the galaxy well enough to use?

mostly I just miss the dialer, the contacts, the browser text zoom and the 7 home screens with the pinch to view them all. Oh and an ACTUAL menu button!

I have exDialer and exContacts and Agenda Widget but it's just not enough. Who's running what launcher and browser and isn't laggy and buggy? I like where Android is headed and want to love my phone again.

I haven't rooted this phone yet because It's probably going back for a replacement due to the random rebooting and the high pitch squeal during calls if the update doesn't fix these issues.

I am open to productive, non sarcastic, realistic suggestions. ;)

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
A Sense 4.0 ROM has already been ported. It's in a very early stage and GSM only atm, but progress is being made.

And most ROMs have the option to enable a menu button in your navigation bar, as well as the ability to rearrange the buttons.

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, thank you. I forgot to mention I do have a Sense clock style widget on my home screen. that was the first thing that got installed! :D

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Nova launcher will do the seven screens and double tap to view all 7, as well as number of other things to really customize the launcher. Go Dialer EX is a pretty good dialer as well.

I miss certain things about Sense, but am really liking an unbloated ICS ROM...

Reactions: CutlaSS

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
WOW. Totally blown away. I wonder how the browser behaves. Things are looking up. Thank you to everyone.
I knew I wasn't alone. Now.....where do I begin?

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm not digging that color either and seeing my last 2 phones were HTC it's been a nice change even thou I do use a Sense like clock sometimes. I do remember running a partially working Sense ROM on my Moto Droid which made my get the Dinc when it was released.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
WOW. Totally blown away. I wonder how the browser behaves. Things are looking up. Thank you to everyone.
I knew I wasn't alone. Now.....where do I begin?

whats wrong with your browser? the stock ICS browser is pretty good IMO, and already much better than the stock Gingerbread Sense browser in terms of smoothness and features.

but you may want to give chrome beta a chance. very nice and smooth and super fast.

as for the dialer and menu buttons.

most, if not all ROMS have the option for T9 dialing (start dialing a contact name and the number comes up) and the option to add Menu and search keys to the navigation bar.

also, apex launcher allows up to 7 home screens i believe with the pinch to zoom out to an all screens view.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
That is true I did miss the Sense dialer until I tried a ROM with the T9 dialer built in and it's much better IMO.

And I have never used a stock browser on any Android device I only use Dolphin or Chrome.

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
whats wrong with your browser? the stock ICS browser is pretty good IMO, and already much better than the stock Gingerbread Sense browser in terms of smoothness and features.

The ICS browser may have more features but one which is a standout in the Sense browser IMO, is the text zoom feature. It's like word wrap in a Windows text file so you dont have to scroll left or right when you zoom in no matter how big the text gets. Now if chrome has a similar feature that could be a solution.

MegaSoundwave76

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
The ICS browser may have more features but one which is a standout in the Sense browser IMO, is the text zoom feature. It's like word wrap in a Windows text file so you dont have to scroll left or right when you zoom in no matter how big the text gets. Now if chrome has a similar feature that could be a solution.

I'm pretty sure Chrome Beta does this. I use it as my daily web browser on my GNex.

Last edited:

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded Chrome and its not faster and it doesn't zoom like the sense browser does. Ho hum.
Maybe when it comes out of beta????

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded Chrome and its not faster and it doesn't zoom like the sense browser does. Ho hum.
Maybe when it comes out of beta????

How does the Sense beta zoom? I've been able to pinch and whatnot just fine...now the text zoom, mayhaps not, but I've never experienced it to give a proper judgment TBH.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I chose the GNex because I wanted to get away from running skins like Sense, Touchwiz, and MotoBlur. I like pure AOSP; however, I am particular the way I like to set up my phone too. That's the neat thing about Android. We can express our individuality through our phones and set them up to achieve maximum functionality too.

To each their own but I like the minimalistic nature of AOSP. Plus the UI just flies without being bogged down by a skin. Personally, I think you can almost achieve a skin-like UI through a good launcher and a couple of good Widgets. The good thing about this is that its all topical so to speak instead of being a part of the framework like skins. Personally, I hate that about skins.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I think thats what I am really after not necessarily sense per say but a sense theme with maybe a tweaked launcher and maybe a widget or 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress