How to Root the 4.0.4 OTA?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Okay, Sorry if there is already a thread for this out there, did a quick look and didnt see anything.

I unlocked my phone and installed the 4.0.4 rom by pushing CWM to my phone from my pc. I am now looking to root my phone and instal a custom ROM as I'm starting to get bored with the same ole same ole of stock (that and because waiting the fabled verizon update is like looking for a unicorn turd) Anyway, I just need a quick know-how of how to root 4.0.4.

I have already checked this post:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...tloader-root-verizon-galaxy-nexus-12.html#anb

and it does not seem to work with 4.0.4. Anyone lend a first time rooter a hand?

Thanks!

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Rooting 4.0.4

Okay, Sorry if there is already a thread for this out there, did a quick look and didnt see anything.

I unlocked my phone and installed the 4.0.4 rom by pushing CWM to my phone from my pc. I am now looking to root my phone and instal a custom ROM as I'm starting to get bored with the same ole same ole of stock (that and because waiting the fabled verizon update is like looking for a unicorn turd) Anyway, I just need a quick know-how of how to root 4.0.4.

I have already checked this post:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...tloader-root-verizon-galaxy-nexus-12.html#anb

and it does not seem to work with 4.0.4. Anyone lend a first time rooter a hand?

Thanks!

I haven't personally "rooted" 4.0.4, but I think you can always turn it back to stock then go from there.

I'm others who have dealt with the 4.0.4 OTA will chime in, though. I would change your title to something like "How to Root the 4.0.4 OTA?"

Reactions: anon(596177)

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Rooting 4.0.4

I haven't personally "rooted" 4.0.4, but I think you can always turn it back to stock then go from there.

I'm others who have dealt with the 4.0.4 OTA will chime in, though. I would change your title to something like "How to Root the 4.0.4 OTA?"

Great, thanks for your reply, will do that.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Since your bootloader is unlocked you don't really need to root the stock 4.0.4 ROM if your goal is to now flash something else that will be more fun.

Say you want to get on AOKP for example, just download it and the Gapps, place both on sd card. Boot into CWM -- you might need to flash it like you did before via the bootloader/fastboot. From there wipe data/factory reset, flash the ROM, flash the gapps, and reboot. All the major ROMs are going to be pre-rooted and will have the stock recovery removed so your CWM will stick from now on.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Since your bootloader is unlocked you don't really need to root the stock 4.0.4 ROM if your goal is to now flash something else that will be more fun.

Say you want to get on AOKP for example, just download it and the Gapps, place both on sd card. Boot into CWM -- you might need to flash it like you did before via the bootloader/fastboot. From there wipe data/factory reset, flash the ROM, flash the gapps, and reboot. All the major ROMs are going to be pre-rooted and will have the stock recovery removed so your CWM will stick from now on.

Thanks for the tip, but what about my app data? I have already backed up my SDcard data so Im not so worried about that, but there are a number of apps (like bill reminders, banking apps, radio apps, etc) that I would much rather not have to go through the lengthy process of setting up all over again. Any backup utility that I have seen for that requires root access, which is where my problem sits.

Or with a custom ROM like AOKP (which is exactly what I intended on flashing actually) would it be bad/not work to recover app data?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, but what about my app data? I have already backed up my SDcard data so Im not so worried about that, but there are a number of apps (like bill reminders, banking apps, radio apps, etc) that I would much rather not have to go through the lengthy process of setting up all over again. Any backup utility that I have seen for that requires root access, which is where my problem sits.

Or with a custom ROM like AOKP (which is exactly what I intended on flashing actually) would it be bad/not work to recover app data?

For me, I never restore app data, primarily b/c you want to eliminate the chance for ghosts. If the app collects/builds data on one ROM (say AOKP Milestone 5), and then you restore that rom + data to a new ROM (say CM9), then you run the risk of some sort of data conflict downstream that will cause force closing.

So whenever you flash, while it sucks you'll lose data, I would clean house. That being said, there are plenty of people who take risks with restoring app data. I, however, am not one of them :).

Can you still get into CWM recovery?

Reactions: anon(596177)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The apps you mention should be perfectly fine to restore data to. I've restored many user apps with data on every one of hundreds of ROM flashes and never have issues. Just be sure to never restore System data (which TiBu is the only app that even gives you the option, and it shouldn't), or data to any apps used by account sync or other google services.

That being said, I see why you want to get your 4.0.4 rooted so you can back that stuff up first. Does it not work to just flash the su.zip package in recovery? This is zip I mean: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/su.zip

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
For me, I never restore app data, primarily b/c you want to eliminate the chance for ghosts. If the app collects/builds data on one ROM (say AOKP Milestone 5), and then you restore that rom + data to a new ROM (say CM9), then you run the risk of some sort of data conflict downstream that will cause force closing.

So whenever you flash, while it sucks you'll lose data, I would clean house. That being said, there are plenty of people who take risks with restoring app data. I, however, am not one of them :).

Can you still get into CWM recovery?

ugh. THAT sucks hah. Okay, no big deal I suppose.

Im sure I will be able to get into CWM however I need to set it up again as Im using a different PC to ROM than I did to unlock. Happen to have a link to the newest version of CWM?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The apps you mention should be perfectly fine to restore data to. I've restored many user apps with data on every one of hundreds of ROM flashes and never have issues. Just be sure to never restore System data (which TiBu is the only app that even gives you the option, and it shouldn't), or data to any apps used by account sync or other google services.

That being said, I see why you want to get your 4.0.4 rooted so you can back that stuff up first. Does it not work to just flash the su.zip package in recovery? This is zip I mean: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/su.zip

Let me check and get back to you with an edit.

EDIT: Should I be doing this in CWM recovery or will stock do the trick?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok... yeah I just did a little research and all but confirmed that flashing that su.zip ought to root you on 4.0.4... so go for it once you load up CWM and you should be good :)

Also I'm not sure, but wanted to mention you should use the official touch CWM 5.8.0.2 in case you are not.. you will find it much easier to navigate and use than the older version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.0.2-toro.img

That's the image... when you are flashing it just make sure in the command portion you type:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.0.2-toro.img

as opposed to 5.5.0.4 or any other version you were using.. :)

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok... yeah I just did a little research and all but confirmed that flashing that su.zip ought to root you on 4.0.4... so go for it once you load up CWM and you should be good :)

Also I'm not sure, but wanted to mention you should use the official touch CWM 5.8.0.2 in case you are not.. you will find it much easier to navigate and use than the older version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47300967/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.0.2-toro.img

That's the image... when you are flashing it just make sure in the command portion you type:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.0.2-toro.img

as opposed to 5.5.0.4 or any other version you were using.. :)

Thanks much! I found a link to the Galaxy Nexus toolkit that I was looking for and have been using that since my last post. I'm successfully rooted and have CWM flashed. Backed up my data and am doing a nandroid backup now using the version of CWM u gave me. Probably wont flash AOKP until sometime tomorrow night though, If I do it tonight one of two things will happen:

I will either do something stupid because im tired and break the entire phone, being up for a few more hours trying to fix it or:

it will work flawlessly and Ill be up for a few more hours playing with the ROM goodies (more likely answer). Either way being up until 3 am when I have to work at 8 prolly isnt the best of ideas :).

Thanks again for your help, both of you! I should be good from here unless I have a question about flashing the ROM, but that looks pretty straightforward and they have an 'installation for dummies' post outlining it.

EDIT: this is the toolkit im using BTW: http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-perform-and-restore-a-nandroid-backup/

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Once you're rooted with a custom recovery, it's really hard to mess up. Some common errors, just so you're aware ;) ==>

(1) Not flashing GAPPS (a package of Google Apps, particularly necessary for AOKP, btw)

(2) Not wiping, so data and renders your phone a demonically possessed piece of plastic and glass.

Past that, if you're careful with always taking the requisite steps you will have a great amount of fun, and before you know it you'll be flashing 3-4 roms a day ;).

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Once you're rooted with a custom recovery, it's really hard to mess up. Some common errors, just so you're aware ;) ==>

(1) Not flashing GAPPS (a package of Google Apps, particularly necessary for AOKP, btw)

(2) Not wiping, so data and renders your phone a demonically possessed piece of plastic and glass.

Past that, if you're careful with always taking the requisite steps you will have a great amount of fun, and before you know it you'll be flashing 3-4 roms a day ;).

I dont know about that, I dont have the time to do that sort of crack flashing :p Thank you anyways for the advice!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I dont know about that, I dont have the time to do that sort of crack flashing :p Thank you anyways for the advice!

Well neither do I, but so far I've --

Flashed roms in traffic (not suggested!)
Flashed roms at a bar
Flashed roms at work
Flashed roms during a class
Flashed roms in lieu of class

Etc., etc. :)

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok new question. I have successfully installed AOKP M5 and restored most of my apps from titanium, however some didnt sync, which is fine, but my default email app is completely gone. not gmail, "email". Need this app as its my most used app on the phone, how can I get it back?

EDIT: Nevermind. Silly me didnt think of looking in the app drawer instead of on the nova launcher screen i restored.Good to go!

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok new question. I have successfully installed AOKP M5 and restored most of my apps from titanium, however some didnt sync, which is fine, but my default email app is completely gone. not gmail, "email". Need this app as its my most used app on the phone, how can I get it back?

EDIT: Nevermind. Silly me didnt think of looking in the app drawer instead of on the nova launcher screen i restored.Good to go!

Nice.. glad you've got everything going! Have you flashed the 4.0.4 radios yet? If not check out Zero Neck's [RADIOS] thread... its very simple, just download the zip and flash in CWM. The LTE radio installs in seconds, the CDMA one takes a solid minute or so, don't panic and think it froze, lol. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87