Let's talk Kernel,ROMs, etc.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Aokp build 38 with franco Kernel build 181. Probably the best combination I've tried. Very very smooth and extremely fast

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus by way of Tapatalk

Reactions: Xanth269 and bjs188

mpparr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Not to jump in and hijack the thread, but I think it applies: I'm looking for a relatively pure ICS experience, but with all most of the kinks worked out. Does AOKP fit the bill in this case as well? I'm planning on rolling up my sleeves and rooting this weekend (I've only had the phone for 5 days.)

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I would also recommend AOKP as well as the rom I'm currently running CMPLX B1ACK ADV6. Recommend kernels would be Franco and Trinity. Trinity is not as well known but it is fantastic! Those who have used it are raving about it.

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
While I was a fan of AOKP for some time, I've been running LiquidSmooth since v1.3 and I have never looked back.
Liquidsmooth has a more "vanilla" ICS feel to it, very clean. It's also, in conjunction with Franco's kernel, the snappiest, smoothest, and most fluid ROM I've used.

I'm presently running Liquid v1.4 with franco nightly r185 512GPU. And this combo is awesome! For those of you like benchmarks, I ran Quadrand Standard and got a 3950, not bad, if I say so myself.

The best advise I can give is try them all. It's easy to flash ROMs and kernels. So experiment, and find the one that you like best.
Everyone has different priorities when it comes to ROMs, some are looking for better battery life, some want more customization features, some (like me) just want more speed.

This is one of the best things about having a Android phone. When the phone begins to feel a little stale, just flash a new ROM/kernel and BAM you have something "new" to play with.

daver317

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Everyone needs to try SlimICS!(slimroms.com)

Super smoothy and creamy :D The fastest Rom I've tried so far (about 5-6) and I seem to be getting much better battery life. I keep wanting to move on and sample the others, but I don't see how it can get better than this.

Reactions: Mild7intl

milesclarence

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would echo the people saying AOKP. I've been running it for a few months and it's brilliant.
Lots of customizations and i think it's decently smooth. Not to mention the fact that it gets so much attention and is always improving.

I don't know much about kernels though. I dont' want to hijack this, but if anyone could briefly (in a line or two) explain the big changes that different kernels provide it'd be great.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Aokp build 38 with franco Kernel build 181. Probably the best combination I've tried. Very very smooth and extremely fast

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus by way of Tapatalk

exactly what I'm running. Love it. Kinda-sorta tempted to flash back to stock for a few days to see what its like to run stock. I'm starting to forget :p

(although I should add, I have a GSM Gnex, not from Verizon. Still, AOKP+Franco=WIN)

Jeff43

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't know much about kernels though. I dont' want to hijack this, but if anyone could briefly (in a line or two) explain the big changes that different kernels provide it'd be great.

Kernels can allow you to over/under clock the CPU/GPU, they also have different governors to alow for better battery life or more speed, you can turn off 1 of the cores of the CPU when unneeded, there are also color tweaks that can help in color accuracy.

ruh-roh-raggy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

For general info. about kernels, you'll find great stuff here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-rooting-roms-hacks/167604-guide-dont-panic-hitchhikers-guide-galaxy-nexus.html

Specific kernel-to-kernel comparisons, sorry I can't help you there. I've been using Franco's for awhile.

Reactions: dmmarck

milesclarence

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!

For general info. about kernels, you'll find great stuff here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-rooting-roms-hacks/167604-guide-dont-panic-hitchhikers-guide-galaxy-nexus.html

Specific kernel-to-kernel comparisons, sorry I can't help you there. I've been using Franco's for awhile.

Kernels can allow you to over/under clock the CPU/GPU, they also have different governors to alow for better battery life or more speed, you can turn off 1 of the cores of the CPU when unneeded, there are also color tweaks that can help in color accuracy.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
For kernels, they seem to be very device dependent; different users and different devices have different results. I recommend trying one for a few days before judging it, because it may take a day to settle and for your use and performance to be accurately observed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: NotJustAPhone

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Any of the popular ROMs are great, and I personally find only slight, un-noticable differences between them. It's fun to flash new ones when you're board, and because you go through the effort of flashing it, the new one usually feels better than the old. Just make nandroid backups and flash away. It only takes a few minutes to switch back and forth.

Kernels are a different story. Each phone can like one better than another. Some come with lower voltage settings, which can increase battery life, but can also cause lockups and reboots. You can adjust/raise these voltages, but I don't have the patience for it, so I try to avoid them. Keep in mind that your phone may love low voltages. For me, Franco kernels rule, regardless of the ROM. I don't even waste time anymore trying out the native kernel, I just flash Franco's nightly right after I re-install my apps. I'm not saying that you should jump right on Franco, but find what your phone likes best.

In summary, your ROM provides the UI experience (customizations, toggles, etc...), and the kernel provides your power and speed...but that's just my opinion.

Reactions: NotJustAPhone

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
if you're going to experiment with a variety of roms than i highly recommend titanium backup. with TB, you can backup your apps and settings easily than restore them later once you've installed your new rom.

anyhow, for a starter rom i recommend Redemption Rom. it's VERY close to stock and it runs very stable and quick.

if you want something more advanced than i either recommend liquid ics or aokp.
all of these roms can be obtained at rootzwiki.com

Reactions: SeigaGen

Spaniard85

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna toss my hat in with the AOKP crowd. It has a huge amount of customizations and is still fast and stable. I'm running the Build 38 re-release with Linaro and the included kernel, and all is well and very snappy. I'm thinking about trying franco again, just to see how it combines with Linaro.

grantith

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
If you want to try something less stock and more innovative, I highly recommend the Paranoid Android rom. It's based on CM9, but it has a hybrid tablet/phone interface that uses some of the features in tablet apps (like 2-pane Gmail and 3D YouTube) and a notification center on tablets. It's highly customizable, and has totally changed the way I use my Nexus. You can check out some screenshots & install instructions here:

GSM Nexus: [ROM] PARANOIDANDROID [CM9HYBRID] [120531-1.1b: TOGGLES, NEW MENUBTN, FORCE, ++++FIX] - xda-developers
Verizon nexus: [ROM] PARANOIDANDROID [CM9HYBRID] [120521-0.9b: PER-APP-LAYOUT, AN ANDROIDS FIRST!!!] - xda-developers

Reactions: Spaniard85