[GUIDE][Ubuntu] Compiling Android from Source

genuinejd

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Are you already running a 4.1.1 ROM? If so, you can just get root explorer from the play store (or similar root browser app) and navigate to the blobs from the previously posted paths and copy the files to your Downloads folder on your SD card. Then adb pull those files to your machine. That's what I did.

Sent from my Full AOSP on Toro-VZW using Android Central Forums

I see. So no matter what I need to pull blobs from another ROM. I'm stock rooted VZW 4.0.4, but ready to make the jump!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ing222

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Holy guacamole! Thank you for explaining that and spelling it out for me. I've finally got a fully working build. You are the man!

No problem. Only thing left is the drm files. Anyone know how to get them copied into my build automatically?

Ing222

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I see. So no matter what I need to pull blobs from another ROM. I'm stock rooted VZW 4.0.4, but ready to make the jump!

That's the problem with proprietary stuff. Google can't distribute the camera and GPS stuff (which is why you don't see it in their binary blob download page) and you need one that's compatible with android 4.1.1.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Also, it wouldn't hurt to sync up with AOKP's source to try and get some proprietary files from that. Check this "guide" out here.

(Just use my guide and plug in their specific paths :p)

I plan on doing this once they have a stable release, then using those blobs in any and all "personal" future builds.

Reactions: genuinejd

indy328

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

Yep! Just make sure its a 4.1 ROM. 4.0 blobs do not work.

indy328

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
No problem. Only thing left is the drm files. Anyone know how to get them copied into my build automatically?

What is a drm file and why do we need those?

genuinejd

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Yep! Just make sure its a 4.1 ROM. 4.0 blobs do not work.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll give that a go in the next couple days and try to report.

Also, I forgot to give props to dmmarck! I've been in software dev for a while, and an Android fan since the beginning, but never into building from source. Your guide inspired me to take the leap!!

Reactions: dmmarck

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Update:

According to this fine article here, the binaries have been updated. Be sure to update yours!

(I know the article says Nexus S 4G, but ours were updated as well :p)

Ing222

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
What is a drm file and why do we need those?

Its the built in drm from google. I think some apps like Netflix use it. I could be wrong here...

Anyways, not sure why Google released those drm binaries for nexus 7 but not galaxy nexus.

rthach

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Another success build here, use the latest NFC driver from Nexus S 4G (no error), and those asking about the DRM which is included in the build at system/lib/libdrmdecrypt.so when completed building the ROM.

Last edited:

genuinejd

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Success!! Build on Ubuntu 11.10 in VirtualBox. Used new binaries from a couple days ago and found additional proprietary bits in another JB ROM. Just copied 'em in the right places per instructions here. Phone, GPS and camera all working....SWEET!!!!

a6f98606-5384-f95c.jpg

a6f98606-5394-0f4e.jpg

a6f98606-53a5-a190.jpg

genuinejd

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
One thing I noticed though, I didn't have root out of the box. Had to flash it manually, but worked fine after that.

Ing222

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
One thing I noticed though, I didn't have root out of the box. Had to flash it manually, but worked fine after that.

I think if you do the lunch full_toro-userdebug you will have root (at least according to google's page here: Building the System | Android Open Source).

I built using full_toro-user, and I don't have root...I'm guessing you did the same?

Ing222

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I think if you do the lunch full_toro-userdebug you will have root (at least according to google's page here: Building the System | Android Open Source).

I built using full_toro-user, and I don't have root...I'm guessing you did the same?

Never mind. I saw your screenshot shows userdebug. Odd. I wonder why you didn't have root. I've never built using userdebug, so I can't see if that works on my end or not....

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Never mind. I saw your screenshot shows userdebug. Odd. I wonder why you didn't have root. I've never built using userdebug, so I can't see if that works on my end or not....

You still need to copy the SU binary FWIW.

Just do this--grab an SU zip, open it up, then copy the files to their corresponding folders.

Superuser.apk ==> system/app

Su binary ==> system/xbin

Rename the old su binary to "su old" or something :).

Anyone know how to get Google Search to work? It keeps crashing on me....

Try downloading an offline language pack in the Voice Search settings (in Google Now). Also, check my Jelly Bean Now thread and make sure you have that lib file in the fixes post!

genuinejd

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
You still need to copy the SU binary FWIW.

Just do this--grab an SU zip, open it up, then copy the files to their corresponding folders.

Superuser.apk ==> system/app

Su binary ==> system/xbin

Rename the old su binary to "su old" or something :).

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks.

To change the build props, can I just crack open the OTA zip and edit the file, or does that have to be changed before the build?

indy328

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks.

To change the build props, can I just crack open the OTA zip and edit the file, or does that have to be changed before the build?

I'm fairly certain you can just crack open the zip and edit the build.prop

indy328

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Can anybody chime in and enlighten us how to add busybox pre-compile. I'd like to do this without a kitchen. I ran across a thread somewhere that had some instructions on how to do it for a 4.0.3 build, but I'm compiling now and it looks like it ignored that part of the build or something..

triptosyll

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know for sure if building for cdma devices is supported still? I read somewhere that building for cdma isn't supported anymore, due to signature problems with the apps (or some mumbo jumbo that I didn't understand).....
I wanna build for my cdma mesmerize, but haven't attempted yet due to this contradiction.
Any answers would b awesome.
Any links to the topics would b the best :D

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800