Stuck in 'Google' boot loop... HELP

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I WAS running the VZW Jellybean ROM that can be found here. I had the device unlocked, rooted, and encrypted.

I was hoping to update the ROM since I was using the older version and my GPS wasn't working, but couldn't since the device was encrypted. I backed up my device as well as the SD card contents and I did a factory reset to get rid of the encryption. The reset didn't do anything. It didn't even clear any of my data. I tried it again... same thing. For some reason, I tried it a third time and... now I'm stuck on the Google splash screen at bootup. It's been sitting here for almost an hour.

I've searched for a way to restore the factory images, but the ones I've found require me to go into fastboot, but I cannot get into that through the volup+voldown+pwr method. I also can't boot into fastboot through Terminal or CmdPrompt (I'm using Windows and Ubuntu) since it won't boot into the system.

PLEASE, someone help me... I don't know what else to do.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I WAS running the VZW Jellybean ROM that can be found here. I had the device unlocked, rooted, and encrypted.

I was hoping to update the ROM since I was using the older version and my GPS wasn't working, but couldn't since the device was encrypted. I backed up my device as well as the SD card contents and I did a factory reset to get rid of the encryption. The reset didn't do anything. It didn't even clear any of my data. I tried it again... same thing. For some reason, I tried it a third time and... now I'm stuck on the Google splash screen at bootup. It's been sitting here for almost an hour.

I've searched for a way to restore the factory images, but the ones I've found require me to go into fastboot, but I cannot get into that through the volup+voldown+pwr method. I also can't boot into fastboot through Terminal or CmdPrompt (I'm using Windows and Ubuntu) since it won't boot into the system.

PLEASE, someone help me... I don't know what else to do.

What happens when you power down (pull the battery) and hold down all volume + power? Can you describe it?

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
It gives me the option to go into Recovery, Start the phone, and one other option... but not Fastboot. It's the standard Nexus Android with the stomach hatch opened screen.

I'm trying the Odin style re-flash, hoping this works.

You wouldn't happen to have any suggestions, would you?

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Before I started the Odin flash, I was able to get into recovery just fine. I couldn't install any ROMs or even access the /data portion of my phone since it was still "encrypted." I couldn't wipe it from Recovery either since that section was protected for the same reason.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Before I started the Odin flash, I was able to get into recovery just fine. I couldn't install any ROMs or even access the /data portion of my phone since it was still "encrypted." I couldn't wipe it from Recovery either since that section was protected for the same reason.

I was thinking you could restore the backup and undo the encryption? I've never used the encryption though, so not sure if that was a possibility.

Edit: reread your last post... a conundrum there... chicken before the egg style

I've never used Odin either :(

Let us know how it goes.

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't say Fastboot Mode in red?!

No. It doesn't even give me the option for fastboot. I don't know why, but it doesn't. Just three options, and it's not one of them.

If it was, I could have flashed the stock factory image that Google offers, right?

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking you could restore the backup and undo the encryption? I've never used the encryption though, so not sure if that was a possibility.

Edit: reread your last post... a conundrum there... chicken before the egg style

I've never used Odin either :(

Let us know how it goes.

Yeah, I tried that. Without fastboot I couldn't load the backup that way. And, with the /data section encrypted, Recovery couldn't access the "SD card" to load the backup. Kind of sucks that the native function that Google includes doesn't work as advertised... or maybe it's a faulty ROM. Who knows?

Odin seems pretty straight forward, but the files that I need won't download right. Something's wrong with the bandwidth and it downloads just a little bit and quits. Then, when I try it again, it'll download a little more and stop. If I could get the whole file to download I'm sure I'd be back in business...

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I tried that. Without fastboot I couldn't load the backup that way. And, with the /data section encrypted, Recovery couldn't access the "SD card" to load the backup. Kind of sucks that the native function that Google includes doesn't work as advertised... or maybe it's a faulty ROM. Who knows?

Odin seems pretty straight forward, but the files that I need won't download right. Something's wrong with the bandwidth and it downloads just a little bit and quits. Then, when I try it again, it'll download a little more and stop. If I could get the whole file to download I'm sure I'd be back in business...

Dang. Good luck dude. I hope you don't lose everything on your SD.

I'm interested to see how you fair with it.

Reactions: stillborn86

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I backed up everything from my "SD card" and it's saved on my computer... I've learned from my past mistakes, LOL. I'm about a quarter of the way through downloading the files needed for Odin, so I'm hoping this resets my phone. I'd hate to go back to my Droid X.

Reactions: oxymoron

stillborn86

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
AWESOME!!! I'm back in business. The Odin flash seemed to do the trick. The 'radio-cdma' part seemed to take a while (must have been a large file) and my heart skipped a beat, but it all loaded properly and I'm booted back into my Nexus.

You can find the downloads and instructions here.

There are two files required for the LTE Galaxy Nexus, and one file for the GSM version. If you don't download the files correctly the ODIN application will start to install, but just stall wherever the files stopped downloading... which was my problem.

If anyone needs help running this app, I'm here. It was REALLY nice and I have all the files for my LTE Nexus in case they're no longer available for download from this source.