How can I update my rooted phone? Don't know if I am just unlocked or if I have a ROM.

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I know VZW is rolling out the JB update, so I want a piece of the action. Unfortunately, my USB does not work. I charge my battery with an external charger. I also received my phone unlocked, an don't know if I'm rooted an using a custom ROM. My question is, how can I tell if I'm rooted an using a customs ROM? And, does anyone know a way I can Update with out having to use a USB?

Here's a screen shot of my About Phone screen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348405076591.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348405076591.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 28

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
First, I recommend you ask/look in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Forums. This forum is for the GSM model.

Regarding root and ROM, only you can know for sure. The About phone tab doesn't tell the whole story. It definitely won't tell you if you're rooted, and it can often show the same info on a ROM as it would on a stock image. To test for root, just download an app that requires it and see if it'll run (or download the Superuser app and see if it'll install).

Regarding the update, you'll only be able to apply it manually w/o USB if you've rooted and put a custom recovery on. That way you'll be able to move the OTA package manually into the right location, reboot into recovery and apply it. You'll also need USB if you plan to return to stock, as there is no way to lock the bootloader w/o USB.

If I had to recommend something, I'd say if your phone is stock then leave it that way and send it in to get the USB port repaired.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
First, I recommend you ask/look in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus Forums. This forum is for the GSM model.

Regarding root and ROM, only you can know for sure. The About phone tab doesn't tell the whole story. It definitely won't tell you if you're rooted, and it can often show the same info on a ROM as it would on a stock image. To test for root, just download an app that requires it and see if it'll run (or download the Superuser app and see if it'll install).

Regarding the update, you'll only be able to apply it manually w/o USB if you've rooted and put a custom recovery on. That way you'll be able to move the OTA package manually into the right location, reboot into recovery and apply it. You'll also need USB if you plan to return to stock, as there is no way to lock the bootloader w/o USB.

If I had to recommend something, I'd say if your phone is stock then leave it that way and send it in to get the USB port repaired.

First, didn't you already post something to this effect in the Verizon forum?

Second, follow Mr. Martonik's advice. Get it repaired before tinkering.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, appreciate it. Didn't see a dedicated vzw Gnex forum. Since I'm using the ACS app. I'm not too familiar with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I did get some info there. But I wanted to do a dedicated thread for it just in case anyone else needs help and it won't get ignored by everyone posting JB statuses. Thanks though.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I did get some info there. But I wanted to do a dedicated thread for it just in case anyone else needs help and it won't get ignored by everyone posting JB statuses. Thanks though.

I'm going to move this to a more appropriate location :).

---------- Post Merged at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:14 PM ----------

Also, please check out this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/204673-ota-9-21-official-jelly-bean-jro03o-verizon-gnex.html

Please watch the video as well to get a general handle on what goes on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo