Unrooted my Gnexus by receiving 4.2.2 OTA. Can I reroot??

antny1123

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So I used the wugfresh nexus root toolkit to unlock and root my phone some months back, when I believe I still had 4.1. That worked out fine for me, and I didn't have any issues. Then one day I received the OTA for 4.2, and like a moron, accepted that update. The update downloaded and installed without an issue, but my phone was no longer rooted.
I want to know if I can reroot my phone without it having an issue. I believe my phone is still unlocked, but I don't know if I should try using the toolkit again or if using the toolkit in the first place will make it more difficult.
I'd greatly appreciate any help or answers.

antny1123

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I knew the root was lost because I could no longer use apps like Wi-Fi tether. I ran the app and saw a $. I will attempt to reroot again using the toolkit. Thanks Srkmagnus!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I knew the root was lost because I could no longer use apps like Wi-Fi tether. I ran the app and saw a $. I will attempt to reroot again using the toolkit. Thanks Srkmagnus!

No problem. Let us know how things go.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

antny1123

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I was able to reroot using the toolkit =). Unfortunately I just found out that wifi-tether doesn't seem to be working for this android version for some reason. Being able to tether is the main reason for me wanting to root =(

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I was able to reroot using the toolkit =). Unfortunately I just found out that wifi-tether doesn't seem to be working for this android version for some reason. Being able to tether is the main reason for me wanting to root =(

What app are you using?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna toss this over to the VZW Galaxy Nexus R/R/H subforum so that anyone else with the same question can find it more easily. Glad to see you got it rooted again, but as far as the tethering issue I'm afraid I can't offer much help.

antny1123

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I think I found something that will work in the mean time. ES File Explorer is allowing me to create a hotspot. I once again can tether my Nexus 10 to my phone :).

Thanks again Everyone. Really appreciate all the help, since I'm very nervous about fiddling with my phone.

blindyism

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
just throwing something out there;;; but by chance are you on a vzw shared plan? if so then the shared data plan includes the ability to tether to the best of my knowledge! within the terms of the Priceplan.

imnotajedi

May 24, 2011
Visit site
You are on a stock, unrooted device? I thought this was a paid feature by most (all) carriers, including Verizon.

Sorry for the lack of response. I am rooted but a co-worker with the same phone but completely stock can do it as well. He is not on a shared plan. Click, click, BOOM.