pc747

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
That handset is for a different market as well. Gone will be the iPhone style 1 button. So that in itself changes up the whole form and look of the device.

As it gets closer we will see the US version and it will be an entirely different looking phone I believe.

I don't care what it looks like personally. It's the hardware under the hood that has my interest. I'd drive an old Pinto if it did zero to 60 in 2.3 seconds :)

It's all about speed and performance for me. I like my women beautiful not my tech.

Hopefully you dont get rear-ended.

But Ck that is just it, we as the small % of android users care about simple stuff as performance. Samsung has to sell it to the rest of the customers looking to buy a phone that looks cool. That one button and the form factors does one thing, it allows customers looking to get the iphone to atleast do a double take.... They want people to see a bigger phone that looks like a bigger nicer iphone like device. Why, because they are trying to grab those looking for something different. Most customers cant tell one android phone from another all they no is one phone is bigger than the other or have a keyboard.

neowarcloud

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Verizon's LTE network already covers some 110 million people. While they may no know the technical differences between LTE and a 3g network, they do understand that the 4g LTE network is faster and will probably want 4g on their phones. If the function launches without 4g that immediately eliminates it from my list of phones.

eksplosions

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like it's 50/50. I really hope it has it, I'll be in an LTE area more often than not for the duration of the contract. If it has it, I'll literally run to the nearest VZW store and throw money at them!

Otherwise, more thought between this and the Bionic. My BB can't hold out much longer!

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I am in the same boat as you. I have had an upgrade credit for almost 9 months now because I have been waiting for a phone to come out. First I was waiting for the Iphone5 back when everyone thought it was coming out in early June. I abandoned that plan due to the change in release date and now Sammy is making me wait for the SGSII.

It's really annoying that all of the cell phone companies have decided to keep everyone in the dark for so long. Its giving me high blood pressure!

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like it's 50/50. I really hope it has it, I'll be in an LTE area more often than not for the duration of the contract. If it has it, I'll literally run to the nearest VZW store and throw money at them!
Otherwise, more thought between this and the Bionic. My BB can't hold out much longer!

Please have someone take a video of that! I can't wait to see the reactions of the VZW employees! :p

eksplosions

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Deal! Again, keywords here being "if it has it." I've been checking this site every day for a month hoping for something, anything. Killin' me, dawg...

perfectdeuce

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody have a picture of what these LTE radios actually look like? Perhaps also with a comparison to a reference object? I would like to get an idea of what this size and thickness actually looks like, and how it contributes to the largeness of LTE phones.

Thus far google has revealed nothing to me.

Last edited:

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Let's not forget the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is launching on Verizon's LTE network, with the Tegra 2 processor, and maintains the super slim form factor of 8.6mm.

If Samsung can do that with the Tab, I don't see why they can't do it with the SGS 2

OrdieSep88

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
So the LTE radio makes the phone thicker but will fit in a Tab which is thin which means the radio is too big for SGS2 because its too long??

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody have a picture of what these LTE radios actually look like? Perhaps also with a comparison to a reference object? I would like to get an idea of what this size and thickness actually looks like, and how it contributes to the largeness of LTE phones.

Thus far google has revealed nothing to me.

The antenna on the HTC Thunderbolt:

TB-_575px.jpg

Note that this is signficantly larger than the CDMA 1x antenna (link to pict of that)

Keep in mind too that you have to stash an additional baseband on the PCB for LTE. That means that your PCB might have to be bigger than a traditional PCB (though likely not as massive as the Thunderbolt's). for example, here's the Charge's PCB (the one that reads "SAMSUNG" is the CMC2200 baseband Samsung uses for LTE):

ChargePCB2_575px.PNG

All images courtesy of Andantech.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
This will be so upsetting if it hits with not LTE. Verizon HAS to know people are pining for a LTE GSII. But again, we just don't think it's possible to shove the LTE radio in there. Sure it can fit in the Tab 10.1, there's plenty of room in there for other components. A phone, though, doesn't have that space.

Then again, why couldn't they just make the GSII a little bit thicker to fit the 4G radio? I would be cool with that. Look at the newly leaked At&t version, it has a slideout QWERTY. Obviously Samsung isn't against changing the design of the hardware for the carriers, so maybe VZW is asking for LTE in theirs.

Then againnnn...Verizon said they were releasing only 4 LTE phones this year, right? 4th being the Bionic?

Also, knowing Verizon, this thing will launch with Bing lol. Thank God it is an open device.

masaokun

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I already posted this info in another thread, but if we're whipping out the pics from other models again, I'll repost this FWIW:

Not all chipsets are created equally. The Droid Charge used Samsung's own baseband chipset (Samsung Favors Taiwan's Via Tech for Droid Charge Handset), but the SGS2 uses Infineon's XMM6260 (Samsung Galaxy S II teardown reveals major redesign, cutting-edge tech - Cellphone Electronic and Computer Review). While I can't say for sure, it looks like that chip may be replaceable with an LTE baseband chip, the X-GOLD 706 (Intel Announces Slew of Mobile Chips, Including LTE (Phone Scoop)), as they're both based on the 626 architecture.

Obviously, none of this means anything until we get official word, but don't discard the possibility just because the chip sizes aren't the same.

Reactions: Castor Troy

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I already posted this info in another thread, but if we're whipping out the pics from other models again, I'll repost this FWIW:

Not all chipsets are created equally. The Droid Charge used Samsung's own baseband chipset (Samsung Favors Taiwan's Via Tech for Droid Charge Handset), but the SGS2 uses Infineon's XMM6260 (Samsung Galaxy S II teardown reveals major redesign, cutting-edge tech - Cellphone Electronic and Computer Review). While I can't say for sure, it looks like that chip may be replaceable with an LTE baseband chip, the X-GOLD 706 (Intel Announces Slew of Mobile Chips, Including LTE (Phone Scoop)), as they're both based on the 626 architecture.

Obviously, none of this means anything until we get official word, but don't discard the possibility just because the chip sizes aren't the same.
Think you may be onto something here. Thats EXACTLY what it's saying. LTE AND HSPA+ capabilities with the 706. I think you may have just uncovered something very telling. It appears that there may not even be a need for a change in form factor (thickness etc)

Thanks for the excellent info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non