07-27-2011 03:46 PM
46 12
tools
    Sounds like it's 50/50. I really hope it has it, I'll be in an LTE area more often than not for the duration of the contract. If it has it, I'll literally run to the nearest VZW store and throw money at them!
    Otherwise, more thought between this and the Bionic. My BB can't hold out much longer!
    Please have someone take a video of that! I can't wait to see the reactions of the VZW employees!
    07-22-2011 02:56 PM
    Deal! Again, keywords here being "if it has it." I've been checking this site every day for a month hoping for something, anything. Killin' me, dawg...
    07-22-2011 04:35 PM
    Ha ha. I hear ya, man...same here.
    07-22-2011 04:52 PM
    Does anybody have a picture of what these LTE radios actually look like? Perhaps also with a comparison to a reference object? I would like to get an idea of what this size and thickness actually looks like, and how it contributes to the largeness of LTE phones.

Thus far google has revealed nothing to me.
    07-25-2011 10:53 PM
    Let's not forget the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is launching on Verizon's LTE network, with the Tegra 2 processor, and maintains the super slim form factor of 8.6mm.

If Samsung can do that with the Tab, I don't see why they can't do it with the SGS 2
    07-25-2011 11:00 PM
    They can do that because the area that they work with is lagrer and with the SGS2 is in a more compact space.
    07-25-2011 11:02 PM
    I would imagine the LTE radio is the same, no?

If it can fit inside the Tab, why not the phone?
    07-25-2011 11:05 PM
    I would imagine the LTE radio is the same, no?

If it can fit inside the Tab, why not the phone?
    The tab... is... a lot bigger?
    Stang68 likes this.
    07-26-2011 12:36 AM
    So the LTE radio makes the phone thicker but will fit in a Tab which is thin which means the radio is too big for SGS2 because its too long??
    07-26-2011 12:41 AM
    Does anybody have a picture of what these LTE radios actually look like? Perhaps also with a comparison to a reference object? I would like to get an idea of what this size and thickness actually looks like, and how it contributes to the largeness of LTE phones.

Thus far google has revealed nothing to me.
    The antenna on the HTC Thunderbolt:

Note that this is signficantly larger than the CDMA 1x antenna (link to pict of that)

Keep in mind too that you have to stash an additional baseband on the PCB for LTE. That means that your PCB might have to be bigger than a traditional PCB (though likely not as massive as the Thunderbolt's). for example, here's the Charge's PCB (the one that reads "SAMSUNG" is the CMC2200 baseband Samsung uses for LTE):

All images courtesy of Andantech.
    07-26-2011 09:36 AM
    This will be so upsetting if it hits with not LTE. Verizon HAS to know people are pining for a LTE GSII. But again, we just don't think it's possible to shove the LTE radio in there. Sure it can fit in the Tab 10.1, there's plenty of room in there for other components. A phone, though, doesn't have that space.

Then again, why couldn't they just make the GSII a little bit thicker to fit the 4G radio? I would be cool with that. Look at the newly leaked At&t version, it has a slideout QWERTY. Obviously Samsung isn't against changing the design of the hardware for the carriers, so maybe VZW is asking for LTE in theirs.

Then againnnn...Verizon said they were releasing only 4 LTE phones this year, right? 4th being the Bionic?

Also, knowing Verizon, this thing will launch with Bing lol. Thank God it is an open device.
    07-26-2011 09:49 AM
    When and why would they say that?
    07-26-2011 11:10 AM
    Stang they didn't say they were ONLY releasing 4 this year. They just announced the 4 that were lined up and yes the Bionic was one of them.
    07-26-2011 11:26 AM
    I already posted this info in another thread, but if we're whipping out the pics from other models again, I'll repost this FWIW:

Not all chipsets are created equally. The Droid Charge used Samsung's own baseband chipset (Samsung Favors Taiwan's Via Tech for Droid Charge Handset), but the SGS2 uses Infineon's XMM6260 (Samsung Galaxy S II teardown reveals major redesign, cutting-edge tech - Cellphone Electronic and Computer Review). While I can't say for sure, it looks like that chip may be replaceable with an LTE baseband chip, the X-GOLD 706 (Intel Announces Slew of Mobile Chips, Including LTE (Phone Scoop)), as they're both based on the 626 architecture.

Obviously, none of this means anything until we get official word, but don't discard the possibility just because the chip sizes aren't the same.
    07-26-2011 11:47 AM
    I already posted this info in another thread, but if we're whipping out the pics from other models again, I'll repost this FWIW:

Not all chipsets are created equally. The Droid Charge used Samsung's own baseband chipset (Samsung Favors Taiwan's Via Tech for Droid Charge Handset), but the SGS2 uses Infineon's XMM6260 (Samsung Galaxy S II teardown reveals major redesign, cutting-edge tech - Cellphone Electronic and Computer Review). While I can't say for sure, it looks like that chip may be replaceable with an LTE baseband chip, the X-GOLD 706 (Intel Announces Slew of Mobile Chips, Including LTE (Phone Scoop)), as they're both based on the 626 architecture.

Obviously, none of this means anything until we get official word, but don't discard the possibility just because the chip sizes aren't the same.
    Think you may be onto something here. Thats EXACTLY what it's saying. LTE AND HSPA+ capabilities with the 706. I think you may have just uncovered something very telling. It appears that there may not even be a need for a change in form factor (thickness etc)

Thanks for the excellent info
    07-26-2011 11:57 AM
    Stang they didn't say they were ONLY releasing 4 this year. They just announced the 4 that were lined up and yes the Bionic was one of them.
    Ah really? Nice! Then that's good news.
    07-26-2011 12:16 PM
    Some slight indication that Verizon's version of the SGS2 may get LTE is that Sprint's version got WiMax added:

Sprint Samsung Within (Galaxy S II) Passes Through the FCC with 4G WiMax
    07-27-2011 09:31 AM
    And the good news is the within is still just as thin. They just added height and width to cram the 4g in. Also note they added an 1800 mah battery.
    07-27-2011 09:37 AM
    @VZWSupport just confirmed that the SGS2 on VZW will have LTE

https://twitter.com/#!/VZWSupport/st...45532938354689
    07-27-2011 11:21 AM
    @VZWSupport just confirmed that the SGS2 on VZW will have LTE

https://twitter.com/#!/VZWSupport/st...45532938354689
    At first I thought this was just going to be another repost of the Galaxy Tab getting 4G, but when I opened it I literally jumped up and down cheering.

This confirms that I am definitely going to get the SGSII, but now everyone at work thinks I am a bit odd...
    07-27-2011 03:43 PM
    Well I spoke way too soon. They posted another tweet a couple of hours ago confirming that they meant Tab when they said SGSII....

Twitter
    07-27-2011 03:46 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD