Samsung Galaxy Nexus?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Verizon remained number 1 before the Droid name. They'll remain number 1 as long has they have the best network. The Droid name could go away tomorrow and not effect their market share one bit.

Maybe I am misunderstanding him, bit I don't think he's saying they stayed #1 because of the Droid brand. I think he's saying they stayed #1 without the iPhone. Then saying why kill the Droid brand. I also think it would be extremely silly to kill the brand that people know as well as Apple when it comes to phones. Why? All you're doing is losing potential Android sales

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Verizon just got too ridiculous with their prices and phones. I went to Sprint and couldn't be more happier. BRING ON MORE Google Nexus phones. I'm so hoping the Prime will be the next Google STOCK Android phone. No Verizon bloatware crap (i know there is rooting) but still...

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I am a happy Sprint family plan customer. Like my Nexus-S 4G hate to switch to Verizon for the Nexus-Prime and pay those high prices. And next year with Sprint's new LTE network they will be getting the Motorola Nexus-Four.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Verizon would have to have serious reasons to kill the Droid brand name considering everyone outside of these forums thinks all Android phones are Droids.. it is what sent the OS to the top of the market share it is today. yes the commercials make me fear for my safety every moment wondering if the device is going to suddenly betray me and murder me in my sleep but it's the angle Android needed to bump it into the game. the G1 was great as well as the few others that were out there but you can't deny the the Motorola Droid and it's edgy marketing made it stand out enough above Apple to get Android the attention it needed and deserved.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
True, but you can't necessarily say that the same marketing angle that got Android started is the same angle that will keep it going.

Demographics mature and broaden, devices become more complex and try to find new niches...I disagree that marketing won't have to change.

If design philosophy and device specs evolve, it's due to the market. To stay competitive, your marketing should generally evolve as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
True, but you can't necessarily say that the same marketing angle that got Android started is the same angle that will keep it going.

Demographics mature and broaden, devices become more complex and try to find new niches...I disagree that marketing won't have to change.

If design philosophy and device specs evolve, it's due to the market. To stay competitive, your marketing should generally evolve as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

absolutely true and now that more carriers have Android devices and Android is so world wide popular different marketing strategies have and will evolve. Sony with the Play had the whole underground black market surgery giving Andy thumbs thing (creepy).
For Verizon though as long as people are going nuts in these forums over what the next Droid phone is going to be they'll keep doing the Droid thing with their high-end devices..
So, IF Verizon is getting this Nexus device and Verizon is as evil as everyone claims and they would NEVER allow a stock phone without bloatware on it then they will definitely slap the bloat and the Droid name on it and sell millions of them. of course who knows what kind of deal they have going with Lucas to use "Droid" so that may expire eventually or they may tire having to pay the bearded man who keeps ruining our childhoods royalties..

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
absolutely true and now that more carriers have Android devices and Android is so world wide popular different marketing strategies have and will evolve. Sony with the Play had the whole underground black market surgery giving Andy thumbs thing (creepy).
For Verizon though as long as people are going nuts in these forums over what the next Droid phone is going to be they'll keep doing the Droid thing with their high-end devices..
So, IF Verizon is getting this Nexus device and Verizon is as evil as everyone claims and they would NEVER allow a stock phone without bloatware on it then they will definitely slap the bloat and the Droid name on it and sell millions of them. of course who knows what kind of deal they have going with Lucas to use "Droid" so that may expire eventually or they may tire having to pay the bearded man who keeps ruining our childhoods royalties..

You're over estimating the power of the Droid brand. Yes, it was important in the beginning, but "Android" is established now. Sprint runs ads all the time with the Android brand and logo. This is has been going on for almost two years.

I would assume more people now own Android devices that aren't "Droids" than at any other time.

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
The growth of Android woroldwide will be the reason Verizon sees the Nexus.

Verizon can no longer tell Google no. Simple as that.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
You're over estimating the power of the Droid brand. Yes, it was important in the beginning, but "Android" is established now. Sprint runs ads all the time with the Android brand and logo. This is has been going on for almost two years.

I would assume more people now own Android devices that aren't "Droids" than at any other time.

I still believe you are overestimating the tech intelligence of the average consumer. There are millions of people out there that only know them as Droid's. It would be completely insane for Verizon to give up that name recognition. Bottom line is the Droid branding isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Last edited:

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

Not saying this isn't possible or isn't going to happen, but I think you are giving Verizon a bit too much credit, or Google not enough. I know Verizon wouldn't like it, but I would still be extremely surprised to see a phone with the Nexus name on Verizon with any bloat at all. That's why I put more faith in the Droid Prime rumors. It may be the same phone as the next Nexus, but it won't actually be a Nexus.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I still beloved you are overestimating the tech intelligence of the average consumer. There are millions of people out there that only know them as Droid's. It would be completely insane for Verizon to give up that name recognition. Bottom line is the Droid branding isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Brand recognition has nothing to do with tech intelligence. Android as a brand is much larger than Droid at this point.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Brand recognition has nothing to do with tech intelligence. Android as a brand is much larger than Droid at this point.

Brand recognition absolutely has to do with tech intelligence. When it comes to tthe general public that has little or no tech intelligence, they look for what they've heard of and what they've seen advertised. There are Droid billboards, advertisements, and commercials everywhere. These people probably make up at least 90% of the market. People still walk into Sprint stores asking for a Droid. I have to disagree, Android as a brand is only much larger for people in the know. For a large portion of everyone else its still a Droid. Why would Verizon give that up?

Reactions: Wicket and ejaymd11

cggeek911

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Brand recognition absolutely has to do with tech intelligence. When it comes to tthe general public that has little or no tech intelligence, they look for what they've heard of and what they've seen advertised. There are Droid billboards, advertisements, and commercials everywhere. These people probably make up at least 90% of the market. People still walk into Sprint stores asking for a Droid. I have to disagree, Android as a brand is only much larger for people in the know. For a large portion of everyone else its still a Droid. Why would Verizon give that up?

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. I have had more than a few coworkers approach me asking me what is wrong with their "Droids". When I take a look at their phones, they are the cheapest Android phones I have ever seen not Verizon DROID phones. I also get a lot of "I'm so jealous of the screen size of those Droids" as they take a look at my HTC Evo. So yeah, tech intelligence is little to non when it comes to people who are aren't following these things closely.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. I have had more than a few coworkers approach me asking me what is wrong with their "Droids". When I take a look at their phones, they are the cheapest Android phones I have ever seen not Verizon DROID phones. I also get a lot of "I'm so jealous of the screen size of those Droids" as they take a look at my HTC Evo. So yeah, tech intelligence is little to non when it comes to people who are aren't following these things closely.

Exactly. And those people are the vast majority. If they weren't, there would be no need to advertise. Name recognition is everything.

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Who knows though? Maybe they have Nexus-branding and marketing ready aside from the Droid brand, in cooperation with google. Give it its own worldwide push like the iphone, where apple and the carriers all push it collectively.

I think you will see the same with the Nexus this time around

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Who knows though? Maybe they have Nexus-branding and marketing ready aside from the Droid brand, in cooperation with google. Give it its own worldwide push like the iphone, where apple and the carriers all push it collectively.

This is what Google was originally going to do with the Nexus-One, release on all four U.S. carriers at the same time, and let the consumer decide which carrier has best price and service, and brings in some much needed competition too, helps us get better pricing. But it never happened as planned.

Maybe now Google is willing to try this again, Apple does it very well, and is extremely successful. Don't see why Google doesn't make the Nexus-Prime their new #1 device, and push it on all carriers and market the crap out of it everywhere.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

Anything is possible, but with reports of a Droid Prime, I don't see it being a Nexus. I would love to see one Nexus across all carriers with good marketing, but the carriers are competing against one another. I think Verizon would rather have a Droid Prime with bloat than a Nexus.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Anything is possible, but with reports of a Droid Prime, I don't see it being a Nexus. I would love to see one Nexus across all carriers with good marketing, but the carriers are competing against one another. I think Verizon would rather have a Droid Prime with bloat than a Nexus.

There's only been one article from BGR that used the name Droid Prime. Again, it could end up being the Droid Prime, but there's little evidence to back it up.

All we have is speculation.

Reactions: MetalPhoenix79

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
What Google should do is make it a "Nexus Prime Series" Start with Verizon as the Droid Prime so they can market the hell out of it. Make it big and known. That is the first step in keeping with the Iphone NAME RECOGNITION, and MARKETING. Then take it to the other carriers and calling it "X, Y, Z Prime" on the other carriers and have them MARKET it big as well. To release the Nexus like they have done in the past would do nothing at all when it comes to competing with the iphone. People know Iphone, and Droid, they don't know Nexus.