And here comes the 4-core HTC Edge... (my will has gotten weaker)

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: And here comes the 4-core HTC Edge... (my will has gotten wea

I'm not even going to think about new silicon until 28nm fabrication is a reality. At 40nm the tegra 3 doesn't really hold any real advantages except the extra cores, which in most cases won't do much since android does not multitask the same way desktops do and very few applications if any at all will be parallelized.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

So your will for a phone that is right around the corner is waning, yet you want to wait possibly close to a year for this phone?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Probably one of those that jumps ship every 6 months just to have something with the latest specs even if it's not necessarily any better.

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site

Sounds all good and such, until you see the 1600mah battery they stick in it :p

Reactions: rizzman

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

And its up to 4.7" screen. Where does the size war end?

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site

Any real techies here know if a quad-core would somehow be more efficient - and easier on batteries - than dual-cores? Somehow, I doubt it, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Thank you.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

The Tegra 3 apparently has a 5th core which is used when less power is required like if a device is in standby but no one really knows how efficient it'll be. Plus if HTC has heard that, they'll probably put a 1400mAH battery in the Edge. Tegra 3 has 5 Cores | Ubergizmo

Reactions: TBolt

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site

And its up to 4.7" screen. Where does the size war end?

As someone who likes to use my phone for a lot more than calls - as do most of us - I'm glad that these smartphones are trying to find the size sweet spot between tablet & smartphone. If smartphones can become JUST useful enough to make mobile tablets unnecessary (for me), I'll be stoked! :)

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

HTC Edge Could Be the World's First Quad-Core Smartphone

Hopefully the HTC Edge won't make it to the market before June next year. Otherwise, I might have to jump ship from Galaxy Nexus earlier than I thought. Or perhaps by that time there will be another Nexus device that's 4-core?

Why, knowing that ICS is making the interface buttonless, would you jump back to a phone with capacitive buttons? Are you even thinking? That phone may very well launch with Gingerbread given those buttons.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

And so it begins
HTC Edge to lead the smartphone pack with quad-core CPU, optically-laminated display and unibody design
Renders of the HTC Edge appeared online yesterday with some hugely impressive specifications that included a quad-core 1.5GHz NVIDIA processor. We have received some more details on the HTC Edge, and they are flat out jaw-dropping. In fact, this phone looks like it will be the most powerful smartphone the world has ever seen, packed to the brim with cutting-edge tech. Actually, cutting-edge specs and a super slim profile are likely two of the reasons HTC is calling this phone the Edge. Hit the break for the details.

Starting with the display, we have been told the HTC Edge will feature a 4.7-inch 720p HD S-LCD 2 with optical lamination. Translation: this could possibly be one of the best displays in the world; just imagine the iPhone’s display blown up to 4.7 inches.

The unibody design of the HTC Edge will be around 8.8mm thin and it will house 32GB of built-in storage, 1GB of RAM, a microSIM card slot and an 8-megapixel camera with backside-illumination and 1080p HD video capture support. This super smartphone will also feature a 720p front-facing camera, Beats Audio, Bluetooth 4.0, an 1,800 mAh battery and NFC, though it will omit a removable storage slot.

ShiZero

May 28, 2011
alliszero.deviantart.com

1163985.jpg

This is me right now.

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

If you wait long enough, something better is always going to be announced. Even the Panda, who loves the Nexus, is wanting the next device. Even if the Edge released the same day as the Nexus, I would still pick up the Nexus.

Deltaechoe

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

I am still for the gnexus, and maybe the transformer prime.

Also, take a look at how the nexus line tends to kill other phones in benchmarks

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Also, take a look at how the nexus line tends to kill other phones in benchmarks

Isn't really a fair comparison until the other devices are running on ICS and even then it's not really a good one to base any purchasing decision on. That said, I don't really see anything worth waiting for. Unproven processor, most likely sense-cream, no real ETA, etc etc.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

Know what the biggest advantage the Nexus will have?

A HUGE development community. Any phone needs an active third party development scene to see greatness.
I get the feeling a big number of developers are gonna be all over this thing. I believe our mod Adrynaline has expressed interest in this phone. Man, he did amazing things on the Fascinate and I'm sure folks who own a TB can say the same for what he has done for that device.

So with all the great things the Nexus will have, its the devs that will make this device the one to own.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site

Any real techies here know if a quad-core would somehow be more efficient - and easier on batteries - than dual-cores? Somehow, I doubt it, but I wanted to ask anyway.

Thank you.

Here's how I've heard it explained. May not be accurate. Assume 1 second of processing time just to even out the example.

Let's say a single core uses uses x power at 300mhz to do some task. That uses 1 unit of power.

Let's say there is a more difficult task. That would require the single core to run at 600mhz. The power consumption is not double the 300mhz task, but it's X4 or squared or something like that. It's not linear. It's more parabolic. Let's say it's X4 for this example. Now instead of using 1 unit at 300mhz, you are using 4 units at 600mhz.

If you have two cores, they can each chug along at 300 mhz. Two @ 300 mhz means you only used 2 units of power, compared with 4 units of power for the single core example.

Ignore the specific variables I used. The idea is that there is exponential power consumption as the processors work harder. More processors working slower means better power conservation than one running fast.

Then again, I could be way off :confused:

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

One of the big problems for me with this phone is that it will only hae 32gigs of storage and since it will have Sense AND all the VZW bloat, those will probably eat up a good 6 gigs of that storage. For me, that is too much being lost. I am going with the Nexus because I suspect that without all the bloat and overlays that the OS will probably use only about 3gigs of the 32 gigs onboard.

I am just so tired of everyone elses idea of a good system, I can't care if its Sense or TouchWiz or Blur, come on companies, leave me alone. I am completely capable of deciding how to setup my phone. At least give us the option, a model with overlay for those who want it, and another without for those of us who don't want it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38