The Verge Review

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Utterly GLOWING review, I am shocked.

Other than the Apple products, Josh's team has always been quite measured at best when reviewing products. The video description as well as the text review is about the most positive I have ever seen them give to a non-Apple product (including This is My Next and Engadget days).

This is very encouraging...

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Sounded pretty fanboyish to me. I lol'd at him almost calling it the best smartphone ever made when it has a 5 MP unspecial camera, a lesser than average battery (according to his impressions so far), dual core just when quad core is about to come out, a hella poop GPU, and when it's made of plastic.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Sounded pretty fanboyish to me. I lol'd at him almost calling it the best smartphone ever made when it has a 5 MP unspecial camera, a lesser than average battery (according to his impressions so far), dual core just when quad core is about to come out, a hella poop GPU, and when it's made of plastic.

"best smartphone ever made" would apply to current and past devices. Your mythical quad-core devices are just vapor at this point. Enjoy your wait

Reactions: Premium1

zoomis

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site

At least you're consistent.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Are you back in here again?

Why?

EvanJ18

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I enjoy JT's reviews but I feel his 8.6 score of the Nexus was mostly driven by the fact that the iPhone 4S also got an 8.6 and he didn't want to rock the boat.

I like The Verges scoring system. Much more comprehensive. Ultimately it comes down to software and performance, which both scored a 10, so I'm happy.

Reactions: jephanie

bamaboy

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
stepping it up lately? they have only been around for 17 days!! LOL

RollTide!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I was referring to the "This is my next" days.

Damn this wait!! Also, I hope I can get it for $250 when it comes out. That is what the rezound and Razr are showing up for me when I log into my VZW account.

The wait continues...

SCampbell27

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I really wish I didn't read this review, every word of it, because now I find myself approaching the level of WANT for this phone that many of you have already had for months now.

pulpdogs04

May 5, 2010
Visit site
My OP was more for the fact that he mentioned a 32 GB Nexus on Verizon more than the review itself, though it is very extensive and well written. He has been buddying up to Matias Duarte for the last two months, with a special preview/interview, and another interview on Monday.

Do you think he knows its 32 gb even though that info has not been made readily available yet?

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I really wish I didn't read this review, every word of it, because now I find myself approaching the level of WANT for this phone that many of you have already had for months now.

It was a very good review and, in fact does make a person want the nexus more (at least for me it does).

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
So you bag him for saying it might be the best smartphone ever made by comparing it to a phone that has never been made?

Maybe he should have said "this would have been the best smartphone ever made but there will better ones made in the future so it's not." Do you drive a DeLorean or are you just an idiot?

Reactions: Chad McRad

rainman353

May 24, 2010
Visit site
My OP was more for the fact that he mentioned a 32 GB Nexus on Verizon more than the review itself, though it is very extensive and well written. He has been buddying up to Matias Duarte for the last two months, with a special preview/interview, and another interview on Monday.

Do you think he knows its 32 gb even though that info has not been made readily available yet?

It makes sense though that because it was thicker due to the antenna they put more disc space in it. So if you get the LTE phone it's 32 GB and the HSPA+ version will only be available in 16GB.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the people who said this review made them want this phone even more. I had resigned myself to getting this phone, then I used my iPhone more and more and grew to love it, so I decided to just stick to that. Now this review really makes me want to switch (but that would be my 6th different phone since July, so I'm not sure how I'll be able to swing that - as this habit is getting rather expensive). It was a pretty solid review, and I've actually enjoyed reading their reviews lately on most products, not just Android ones. They're more in-depth and fair, in my eyes - I know people say they have some Apple favoritism, but their reviews seem less so than Engadget and BGR.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
So you bag him for saying it might be the best smartphone ever made by comparing it to a phone that has never been made?

Maybe he should have said "this would have been the best smartphone ever made but there will better ones made in the future so it's not." Do you drive a DeLorean or are you just an idiot?

Even if I granted you your complaint about comparing a phone to future options, my statement would still stand under the weight of all the other things I mentioned, as they have superior counterparts already on the market.

Now as to comparing something to future options, it is in fact a valid point, as the best phone ever made would have been made with the greatest future proofness it could achieve, and the makers of the best phone ever made would have observed the coming rise of quad-core, and would have decided to wait to include them in their device before releasing it.

And btw, DeLoreans do exist, and have existed since before that move was made.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Topolsky has absolutely no problem telling people he hates something. When you listen to that review, you can hear the shock in his voice. He was impressed. This phone is going to be something else.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Even if I granted you your complaint about comparing a phone to future options, my statement would still stand under the weight of all the other things I mentioned, as they have superior counterparts already on the market.

Now as to comparing something to future options, it is in fact a valid point, as the best phone ever made would have been made with the greatest future proofness it could achieve, and the makers of the best phone ever made would have observed the coming rise of quad-core, and would have decided to wait to include them in their device before releasing it.

And btw, DeLoreans do exist, and have existed since before that move was made.

Holy crap! You have got to be kidding. I seriously cant read another one of your posts. your ignorance is astonishing!

belniente

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
You could respond to Poopai. Or you could realize he's a moron who knows nothing about phones. Choices, choices.
Your input has kept me from making a terrible mistake. Thank you.

Anyways, thanks for the link OP - between this and the podcast posted the other day, the Verge is definitely now on my list of websites to watch. Totally awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty