Gave in got one on craigslist

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I suppose these are all valid points. Test units are generally marked and do not come in retail boxes so im going to throw that one out. However You are right someone could have pulled a move and just taken one from a stock room, in which verizon would report clean ESN until the store eventually reported it. I am hoping these is not the case :(. Sucks when you think about no real 100% way to verify an ESN unless you buy it and have a receipt with matching ESN. At this point i need to just hope im ok.
I would say you are probably ok. For Peace of mind though if I were in your position I would buy one through verizon as soon as it releases and drop that one back on craigslist. Verify for whoever purchases it from you that the ESN is still clear and can be activated prior to making a transaction. Most likely it was someone who managed to snag one early from best buy and had an upgrade and wanted to make a little extra. Hope it continues to work for you.

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I would say you are probably ok. For Peace of mind though if I were in your position I would buy one through verizon as soon as it releases and drop that one back on craigslist. Verify for whoever purchases it from you that the ESN is still clear and can be activated prior to making a transaction. Most likely it was someone who managed to snag one early from best buy and had an upgrade and wanted to make a little extra. Hope it continues to work for you.

yea thats not a bad idea I think I will do that. May end up costing me another $100 or so because once released i doubt ill get my 700 back. but 600-650. Still worth it for extra peace of mind i would think. Im kind of psyching myself a bit now thinking of the the possible negative side of the situation.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
If you was to resale it on Craigslist and something turned out wrong with it then you would be just as bad as the guy that sold it to you! You bought it off Craigslist, keep it yourself and deal with anything if it comes up.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
yea thats not a bad idea I think I will do that. May end up costing me another $100 or so because once released i doubt ill get my 700 back. but 600-650. Still worth it for extra peace of mind i would think. Im kind of psyching myself a bit now thinking of the the possible negative side of the situation.

Just relax and enjoy it. Look at it this way, you have one and we don't. I'm assuming if it was out of verizon's inventory and it was stolen it would have not been able to be activated. I don't work for verizon so don't know exactly how it works but i cant imagine they don't have have a system where the ESN is locked until it is purchased and scanned out of their inventory. It's just one phone, unless they have a whole shipment missing which that one might have been a part of I would think you are alright

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
If you was to resale it on Craigslist and something turned out wrong with it then you would be just as bad as the guy that sold it to you! You bought it off Craigslist, keep it yourself and deal with anything if it comes up.
good point, I would definitely give full disclosure to anyone who bought it that I purchased it on craigslist early and like I said in my original post give them every opportunity to verify with verizon that the ESN is 100% clear.

ihtc

May 1, 2010
Visit site
exactly. As of now its clean, verified with verizon and im using it. If I sell it i would ofcourse let the person verify it.

tx_tuff: you are assuming i'd sell it if there is something wrong and not disclose, that i won't do.

aggie99: What crossed my mind is assuming the ESNs at say verizon stock room. bestbuy, radioshack, etc are all CLEAN. However lets say a month from now when doing inventory it comes up missing Im sure they report it at which point they see it on my account and deactivate. Who knows. my defense i ask it to be noted with the serial number by the rep who said it was clean, I did my due diligence

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
exactly. As of now its clean, verified with verizon and im using it. If I sell it i would ofcourse let the person verify it.

tx_tuff: you are assuming i'd sell it if there is something wrong and not disclose, that i won't do.

aggie99: What crossed my mind is assuming the ESNs at say verizon stock room. bestbuy, radioshack, etc are all CLEAN. However lets say a month from now when doing inventory it comes up missing Im sure they report it at which point they see it on my account and deactivate. Who knows. my defense i ask it to be noted with the serial number by the rep who said it was clean, I did my due diligence

No I was assuming you would would sell it because of a chance that something could be wrong. In that case keep it and deal with the purchase you made, just like I said above. If I am still assuming wrong then I guess I can't read very good.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
No I was assuming you would would sell it because of a chance that something could be wrong. In that case keep it and deal with the purchase you made, just like I said above. If I am still assuming wrong then I guess I can't read very good.
I actually made that recommendation provided full disclosure is given the buyer. Stock is probably going to be low initially so somebody may be willing to give it a shot if they want it bad enough. Once a phone is activated by verizon I don't see them cutting it off and killing service that is bringing them around 100 a month, unless there is a large lot that may have disappeared and there's a mass esn blacklist and that device was among them. Either way, if this fiasco goes much longer and it's several weeks before it's launched ill be very jealous of the OP and be willing to buy it from him myself!