Thoughts on advertising/announcing the Nexus

baggyp

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Many people are debating, in many threads, that the GNex will or won't get an announcement or advertising. Am I wrong in saying that the Nexus line of phones have been categorized as a developer phone? Did the Sprint Nexus S have a huge launch campaign? I know it's been a while but I don't think outside of Dev's and power user's the Nexus One really even got much attention.

I ask/say this because if this is following the true Google roots, Verizon, may limit how much advrtizing it does. Keep in mind this phone has an unlocked bootloader, VERY limited bloatware, and that makes for lower income to Verizon.

They have accepted having this phone on their network. I believe they want to put it out.I feel they want to put it out with everything working correctly. For those with "tinfoil hats", they may have delayed for marketing, or the phone renters. Who know's other than the higher ups. We will know if it is a software problem when we get the phones and it either updates or has the same firmware as it does now.

I feel the Android community has done all the build up of antisipation for this phone and has let it get to our heads. I know I'm guilty of it. I guess my point is, from the history of the Nexus line, be it on T-Mobile, Sprint, or Verizon, this is a developer phone that is offered the the public. After years of offering and leaps in technology this phone has become a superior product and continues to gain CONSUMER interest.

I know this post is all over the place, but I just wanted to touch on some ideas and thoughts I have. Hopefully I don't get flamed to hard. :)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the sprint nexus s was the only one with a real campaign behind it. The tmo and at&t did not and most likely this won't get much from verizon. The nexus was never heavily campaigned or advertised except if you visited sites like this and it would save your preference in the ads. I think everyone saying it has to be announced and a preorder a week ahead must not have been with verizon long. Not every phone has a preorder ala bionic, thunderbolt, charge, the list goes on.

smitty24

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
To the OP - I believe youre right. I dont remember the Nexus One being MARKETED very much as far as it launch was concerned. There were some YouTube 'how its made' videos and you had to order it through Googles site to even get it. Kinda had to be in the 'know' to know about it...if that makes sense.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The N1 had web ads everywhere.

The Sprint NS 4G had Sprint ads (the line "more cats" rings in my head).

Samsung made a decent ad for the Galaxy Nexus, and we'll have to see if it gets air-time.

kashabrown

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
A little off topic - has anyone but me (I know, I know - I am obsessed), noticed that the VZW site - specifically the smartphone page - has been funky today? I logged in early this morning - saw the RAZR and REZOUND pricing @ $269 - then later today back up to $299 - with the BB9930 which has been at $199 move up to $229 (which I had never seen a phone priced at until today). What I have noticed is when they do this funky stuff, it usually means a new release....thoughts? Anyone else notice this?!?!?

mjhillman06

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
My RAZR pricing is at $249. I am eligible for my NE2 $30 discount, and I have a (non-VZW) employee discount on my monthly bill and accessories and that *may* account for the other $20, but I'm not sure. Anyone else showing $249?

baggyp

May 8, 2010
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus has web ads everywhere I click on (google reader, this site, gmail, etc). Surely its all the searches and sites ive been to that are aiding in that.

Most all web advertising is done by searching and interests. I was referring to mainstream advertising, Like "most" of the Droid line of phones.

smitty24

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Most all web advertising is done by searching and interests. I was referring to mainstream advertising, Like "most" of the Droid line of phones.

Yea, I was referring to the web ads we see. Im assuming it wont have anywhere near the amount of publicity of a DROID phone.

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
It's really sad that ICS isn't going to get the main stream media coverage that it deserves. The fact that they won't run primetime ads for it baffles me. Yeah Nexus phones are developer friendly, but this is the only Android phone that I've seen that is truly user friendly.

I would love to see a simple ad along the lines of Google search Superbowl ad they did a few years back. Really, they should be highlighting ICS, then adding a plug for the Nexus on Verizon at the end. Oh well.

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
My RAZR pricing is at $249. I am eligible for my NE2 $30 discount, and I have a (non-VZW) employee discount on my monthly bill and accessories and that *may* account for the other $20, but I'm not sure. Anyone else showing $249?

I'm getting $249 on the RAZR and/or the Rezound, but my NE2 is giving me $50 off. Regular price is coming up at the normal $299. I've been to the website 3 times today, both logged into my account and not logged in.

Qazme

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It's really sad that ICS isn't going to get the main stream media coverage that it deserves. The fact that they won't run primetime ads for it baffles me. Yeah Nexus phones are developer friendly, but this is the only Android phone that I've seen that is truly user friendly.

I would love to see a simple ad along the lines of Google search Superbowl ad they did a few years back. Really, they should be highlighting ICS, then adding a plug for the Nexus on Verizon at the end. Oh well.

How do you know it's not going to get main stream media coverage? It hasn't been released yet. I'm thinking what will end up happening is they will judge the popularity of the phone on launch, no TV ads, and see what kind of hype it receives. Then TV will follow. Heck when the Incredible was released it had no ads until it had been out about two weeks.

Besides with this being considered a 'dev' phone they may not be considering it a mass consumer device besides to the people in the know, and those people don't need TV ads. I would imagine the first mass marketing you will see on an ICS centric device will be the first Droid phone with ICS.

charveldude

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

Since it's going to be months before any phone besides the Gnex comes equipped from the factory with ICS, it might be premature for Google to start advertising it. It's also worth noting that Apple (the king of phone marketing hype) mostly chooses to market the hardware, not the firmware.

I have no doubt that there will be some Gnex promo once the phone is released, though it's more likely to come from Radio Shack or Samsung than it is from Google or Verizon.

I just want the opportunity to buy the darned thing. Marketing doesn't affect me, since I already know it exists. :lol:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer