Is there WiFi Calling on GN?

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I read on some review that the new GN will have WiFi Calling as a feature - is this right? is this a feature of ICS or something to be released in an update? If already built into the OS, does it work well? I live in an area with no Towers nearby and only see 1Bar of reception (with all carriers).

lilnate

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
this i would also like to know, but i didnt know verizon supported Wifi-calling. I thought some other carriers did.

to clearify i thought it was carrier specific not device or software that determined if it were capable.

lilnate

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
yes, it supports wifi calling. most any modern smartphone does.

im guess the droid x didnt get that memo....thank god it does...if only texts would go though also?? Do they or is that a pipe dream that im living in my basement surrounded by concrete walls

somnambulator

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the bigger question is: "Does Verizon?"

the phone can support whatever it wants, but AFAIK the carrier has to support WiFi calling, and VZW has never.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
There are all instructions all over the place about setting up internet calling on android. I know just about any gingerbread phone will do it so I can't imagine the new nexus wouldn't. Although I don't have it to test, I've done it with the optimus, evo and nexus s. Just go into setting menu->call settings->internet calling. (Unless its been moved in ice cream sandwich.)

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok sounds good - but has anyone with a new Verizon GN actually managed to get WiFi Calling to work or text via wifi?

aanasa

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
There are two different questions being asked here.

Can you use wifi to Call or text with your Verizon number and not have it count to your minutes or text usage? That answer is no.

Can you use wifi and a 3rd party app to make calls such as skype? That answer is yes but it is subject to that 3rd parties terms... Example: Skype to Skype = Free. Skype to phone = $$$

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah - sorry I should have been more specific. I meant true WiFi Calling as per T-Mobile Android Phones - not via Skype or Google Voice etc. The review I read pre Launch was that you could turn on WiFi Calling in Settings somewhere and it should make/receive calls over your WiFi directly

MrVeda

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
That's what I was worried about. When buying my new GN today at a Verizon corporate store, the manager said only option was to order the Verizon Booster that extends the network to inside the home via my DSL service. Only downside is it costs $250 plus tax!

Anybody here tried using their Booster?

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Ah...se I use Google voice anyway for all my calls and texts so if I use wifi calling (either with a 3rd party sip or groove IP) it shows the same number.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm doing wifi calls from home on FIOS. Never a problem.
No you're not. Your FIOS is only providing your internet connection, not your voice service.

Try putting your phone in airplane mode, then re-connecting to your wifi and see if you can call. You can't.

Bottom line, Verizon does not support calls over wifi as T-Mobile does.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
No you're not. Your FIOS is only providing your internet connection, not your voice service.

Try putting your phone in airplane mode, then re-connecting to your wifi and see if you can call. You can't.

You are wrong, this phone supports wifi calling and Verizon has nothing to do with it, using an app called sip droid in connection with google voice airplane mode on, over wifi.

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

Verizon does not charge for wifi minutes. See exchange from Verizon forum.

JohnB_VZW
Wireless Employee

Device: Motorola Droid
Re: When on Wi-Fi, am I using phone minutes?
Options
02-21-2011 02:01 PM

When connected to a WiFi connection you are not using your minutes.

Thanks

John B
John B

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

Re: When on Wi-Fi, am I using phone minutes? - Verizon Wireless Community

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
You are wrong, this phone supports wifi calling and Verizon has nothing to do with it, using an app called sip droid in connection with google voice airplane mode on, over wifi.

I never said the phone didn't support it. I said Verizon doesn't support it. Yes obviously you can use a VoIP

Verizon does not charge for wifi minutes. See exchange from Verizon forum.

JohnB_VZW
Wireless Employee

Device: Motorola Droid
Re: When on Wi-Fi, am I using phone minutes?
Options
02-21-2011 02:01 PM

When connected to a WiFi connection you are not using your minutes.

Thanks

John B
John B

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

Re: When on Wi-Fi, am I using phone minutes? - Verizon Wireless Community

Seriously.....?? Smh.

Did you not read the post directly after the one you mentioned, posted by someone who actually has a functioning brain...??

mikenick42

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

That's not wifi calling. It's SIP calling that happens to be over wifi. We're talking about UMA and Verizon does not support it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87