For Those Running Two or Fewer Widgets...

BringMeBack9801

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
How much free RAM do you generally have?

I'm asking because I've been getting into this habit of constantly checking my running applications to see how much free memory I have, and I've been concerned because I compared it to a friend's GS II, who is running several widgets simultaneously, and he seems to have a lot more free memory than I do (a few hundred extra MBs). I realize Android is pretty efficient at managing memory, cache, etc., but I'm just curious to see what others are experiencing.

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Fancy Widgets digital clock/weather display & the stock calendar app are the only widgets I have running.

276MB free.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
How much free RAM do you generally have?

I'm asking because I've been getting into this habit of constantly checking my running applications to see how much free memory I have, and I've been concerned because I compared it to a friend's GS II, who is running several widgets simultaneously, and he seems to have a lot more free memory than I do (a few hundred extra MBs). I realize Android is pretty efficient at managing memory, cache, etc., but I'm just curious to see what others are experiencing.

is your phone lagging or something? why are you checking your ram so often? I havent checked mine once..

rdearth53

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I only use the stock power control widget to help manage my battery life, and I have ~375 mob of free ram.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DBVille

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
with the way android works it ram usage is different i read an article about it a long time ago and from what i remember, it uses a priority system so it doesnt matter how many programs your running it will still use the ram it needs. so things like task killer dont really make your phone faster or help at all

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them
+1

Dont worry about memory unless you have an issue. And "low" memory is not an issue.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the Facebook widget, Gmail, Android Agenda Widget, HD Widgets clock, the photo gallery widget, Engadget, and the power control bar. ~275MB free.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity; I've heard that widgets obviously have some effect on phone performance (I've heard it range from battery life, to RAM, etc.), but I'm wondering, do "shortcuts" have any such effect? The only reason I ask is, I just downloaded and used Desktop Visualizer to create shortcuts to my apps on my home screens, basically so I could assign them the icons I want them to be (rather than the stock icons) without having to use a different launcher. So, does having a bunch of shortcuts on my home screens make any kind of impact?

I'd think it wouldn't, right? I mean, when you drag an icon from your app drawer to the home screen, isn't that basically the same kind of "shortcut" (just done via stock)?

BringMeBack9801

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
is your phone lagging or something? why are you checking your ram so often? I havent checked mine once..

I have lag in the app drawer but I've been told it's "normal" and not to worry about it. Settings is taking up quite a bit of memory, too, so I realize it's probably not helping free up any RAM by checking so much, but I was pretty surprised with my friend's GS II having over 450 MBs free while running so many widgets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87