Dialer keypad problem

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I found a weird bug today. This occurred on both the Verizon and GSM versions of the G-nex. When I call my credit union and switch to the keypad and attempt to enter my code, the screen intermittently goes blank; not allowing me to enter the code numbers in succession. The notification light blinks as this is happening

I can sometime do it if I dial fast enough but, the screen goes black when I attempt to hit a certain number. If I'm unsuccessful in entering the code (which most of the time I am) my credit union hangs up and, the phone immediately locks. The credit union hanging up is normal but not the phone going immediately to the lock screen.

The dialer works normal for dialing a number. It just does this when I attempt to use it to enter my access code, while connected to the credit union number.

I hope I explained this were you all could understand what's happening and wonder if this has happened to any of you. I tired doing a search but, this is a uncommon issue and many may not have experienced it yet. It's not that big of a deal because I usually don't contact my credit union this way anymore but, it should work correctly. It works if you only entering one number but seems to have problems if you're entering several at one time thus, it's hard to duplicate this issue.

Happy New Year!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Let me see if I understand - you try entering a number while in call, it goes black/locks out (meaning you need to use the power button to get back)? I've had that happen. I think it gets confused (at least for me) when it's not "on my ear" but right "near my ear." The screen kind of blinks a bit. I went to enter a string of keys for one number yesterday and it did the same thing, but that coincided with a message coming in.

That anything close to what you're talking about?

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Let me see if I understand - you try entering a number while in call, it goes black/locks out (meaning you need to use the power button to get back)? I've had that happen. I think it gets confused (at least for me) when it's not "on my ear" but right "near my ear." The screen kind of blinks a bit. I went to enter a string of keys for one number yesterday and it did the same thing, but that coincided with a message coming in.

That anything close to what you're talking about?

Yeah, that's pretty much it. While connected, I attempt to enter numbers on the keypad and it happens. I just rebooted both phones and it's working correctly now. Luckily I don't access my credit union this way much anymore. I was just comparing the call quality of both phones.

It can get frustrating though and I hope it's something they fix.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree. It happened a bit on my Inc too. I think it might deal with the sensor for putting it to your ear and potential interference with incoming data/messages/emails/etc. etc. Other than that, I have no idea. I try to be as precise as possible when I have to enter stuff, or start out on speaker and then bring it up :D.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sabrina, are you using a screen protector or have your phone in a case? I've seen both mess with the proximity sensor and blank the screen in calls.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a proximity sensor issue have you tried cleaning the top of the phone where the FF camera is?

Sent from my Jelly bean powered Galaxy Nexus

Sabrina Fair

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Sabrina, are you using a screen protector or have your phone in a case? I've seen both mess with the proximity sensor and blank the screen in calls.

Hi AB, I tried it without the Verizon OEM case and unfortunately the problem still exists. However, I did not try it without the screen protector...

As a work around, I programmed my phone to automatically pause and then enter my pin number when I initiate the call by pressing the voicemail icon. I got this solution from another forum. But I should not have to do "work arounds" to use my phone. I am surprised Samsung did not do more testing before they released the phone to the general public. I am reluctant to purchase another Samsung phone again.

~ Sabrina Fair

Sabrina Fair

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a proximity sensor issue have you tried cleaning the top of the phone where the FF camera is?

Sent from my Jelly bean powered Galaxy Nexus

Hi Yodatom. I wiped the front of the camera near the ff camera and the sensor and still had the same problem. What I find troubling is that when I first got the phone, this did not happen. It happened after a few months of use...

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna give you the Steve Jobs/apple response. Are you sure you're not holding it wrong? LOL.

But seriously, is it possible that you finger or hand is moving in from of the proximity sensor and causing the screen to turn off? I often have that problem when I reach to the top of the screen with my right thumb to pull down the notification bar while in a call (since the proximity sensor is on the right side). If I reach up to the left side of the phone I avoid the problem.

I don't know if this is what happening to you or not, but just something to consider.

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This isn't just a GNex issue. I Currently have this issue with my GNex intermittantly when typing my voicemail pin, but I also had the issue with my Droid X. I ended up having the DX replaced several times because of it. I have just learned to live with it on the GNex. I am using a Zagg screen protector, but it does not cover the proximity sensor.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I had a problem entering my pin and ss number when calling my bank. If you turn off audible touch tones in settings (I think thats what its called) it will fix that issue. That was when I was completly stock, on 4.0.2 and 4.0.4.

Reactions: Sabrina Fair

NoICon

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Same problem here; strangely enough I don't have the problem however when I enable the speaker phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Sabrina Fair

sthonore

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
A related issue with the Nexus 4: dialling into a number that responds with menu choices by number press,
doesn't work because the numeric keypad disappears when the phone icon is pressed to initiate the
connection. How do you keep the keypad on screen?

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
A related issue with the Nexus 4: dialling into a number that responds with menu choices by number press,
doesn't work because the numeric keypad disappears when the phone icon is pressed to initiate the
connection. How do you keep the keypad on screen?
On the GNex, you touch the little squares at the bottom that look like the number pad.
I am on my second GN and I am having the same problem when I try to check my voice mail.
My phone does this too. I think it has to do with putting it to your ear to hear the options - which is when it blanks and then pulling it down immediately to enter numbers. I think it just gets confused as to if it's up or down or can't switch back and forth that quickly which is why it doesn't happen on speaker. However on speaker you have to have the mic off. As for locking, if you have the power button set to lock the screen, it will lock it if you try to wake it using the lock. I was doing this with the power button set to end a call and constantly hung up on people when all I wanted was the screen to wake up. It's a touch screen. Touching the screen should be enough to wake it.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if the below problem is similar to your situation, but if so, clicking the name will take you to the full thread.

I found a weird bug today. This occurred on both the Verizon and GSM versions of the G-nex. When I call my credit union and switch to the keypad and attempt to enter my code, the screen intermittently goes blank; not allowing me to enter the code numbers in succession. The notification light blinks as this is happening

I can sometime do it if I dial fast enough but, the screen goes black when I attempt to hit a certain number. If I'm unsuccessful in entering the code (which most of the time I am) my credit union hangs up and, the phone immediately locks. The credit union hanging up is normal but not the phone going immediately to the lock screen.

The dialer works normal for dialing a number. It just does this when I attempt to use it to enter my access code, while connected to the credit union number.

I hope I explained this were you all could understand what's happening and wonder if this has happened to any of you. I tired doing a search but, this is a uncommon issue and many may not have experienced it yet. It's not that big of a deal because I usually don't contact my credit union this way anymore but, it should work correctly. It works if you only entering one number but seems to have problems if you're entering several at one time thus, it's hard to duplicate this issue.

Happy New Year!

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

PseudoGeek1

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
My wife had the same problem with her Galaxy S-3. I can dial and it works normally. Here's what happens: The little sensors at the top of the screen detect when the phone is next to your head, to shut off the dialer so your ear doesn't dial random numbers. When typing, she tends to stick her other 3 fingers straight out. These fingers activate the shutoff sensor, just like your head would.

Simple solution: Make a fist with your other 3 fingers while using the keypad instead of letting them fly out straight. This fixed the problem!:O:)