Exchange Sync Never Ends

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi all-
I searched exchange in the forums and havent come across this issue so I had to start a thread.

I came from a D- Inc and never had issues like the one I am experiencing now on the Gnex.

When I setup my exchange account no matter if I select both mail and calendar together or either of them individually, they seem to never finish syncing and as such kill my battery- cant seem to sync past 12/28 it just seems to be stuck in a sync state-
I have push selected and 1 week to sync, I've tried 3 days, month. Obviously, the longer the timeframe- the more mail that has to be pulled so I left it at a week. I deleted (in OWA) mail with attachments on and after 12/28 in the hopes that an attachment was causing the hiccup but that didnt work.
I DO NOT want to use a 3rd party app to sync mail because: 1. I shouldn't have to because this is a Nexus device and it should be able to handle exchange. 2. I don't need extended functionality of the 3rd party apps; all I need is the calendar and email.
Is there a setting on my AD or exchange box that has to be updated or adjusted? I'm running win2k8 server for AD and exchange 2003?
Anyone with similar issues or did I get a bum Gnex?

Thanks and Happy New Year!!! :D

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I know you "should" not have to add an app to the phone for this but look at Touchdown. I have been using it for years and has a lot of functionality that you cannot get from the stock client. It is working fine on my GN as well.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd try 2 things. Make sure there are no other syncs configured for any one element causing a conflict. Try 15 minutes or so instead of "push". I've seen issues too using Exchange Activesync set to push.

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

jhtheking

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Having the same problem. Worked fine on the OG Droid and now won't work at all. Just constantly says it's syncing and email will appear soon.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Had no issues at all using the stock mail app to sync my fairly busy work Exchange (2007) mailbox.

That said, Touchdown blows it away. If you are a power Outlook user, get Touchdown... seriously.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Had no issues at all using the stock mail app to sync my fairly busy work Exchange (2007) mailbox.

That said, Touchdown blows it away. If you are a power Outlook user, get Touchdown... seriously.

+1. Touchdown is worth every penny of the $19.95 license fee. Works like a charm and would make even the most die hard Blackberry Enterprise user jealous.

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions people

@ Frank- won't setting to a time interval cause more network polling at the selected interval and thus spend more precious battery juice?
I removed and re-setup the account and it did the same thing with a 15min interval setting- I checked the batt stats and exchange services used 10% battery- 22minute keep awake time. (about as long as I was setting it up and checking folders) Then I set the interval to 30 minutes and the syncing stopped however it seemed to get past 12/28 to the 30th but there are still unread emails in the inbox in outlook that never made it to the phone. Fail.

I should not have allowed my expectations for this phone to get so high. :-\

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions people

@ Frank- won't setting to a time interval cause more network polling at the selected interval and thus spend more precious battery juice?
I removed and re-setup the account and it did the same thing with a 15min interval setting- I checked the batt stats and exchange services used 10% battery- 22minute keep awake time. (about as long as I was setting it up and checking folders) Then I set the interval to 30 minutes and the syncing stopped however it seemed to get past 12/28 to the 30th but there are still unread emails in the inbox in outlook that never made it to the phone. Fail.

I should not have allowed my expectations for this phone to get so high. :-\

Honestly I kind of wonder if there are settings on your exchange server that are causing your problems. Maybe security settings that are causing conflicts with your device? I work in the IT dept. at my company and synced my GNEX with our exchange 2007 server with no problems whatsoever. As a matter of fact, I have a Blackberry storm sitting right next to me with my exchange email address still synced as well. I have gotten 3 emails since I started typing this response, and all three have come in on both devices with the GNEX lagging behind the BB by about 1 second. Make that 4 emails lol.

its possible you got a defunked GNEX, but I would wonder if it's not your exchange server.

5 emails. WTF people? lmao

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Nope - no task killers - original, unrooted, locked boot-loader ICS 4.0.2.

When the account is enabled there is an exchange process that runs at startup and remains in the running apps list.

I installed touchdown and it seems to work like the native app is supposed to work and already I like how all your emails go into the main box and then once read, go to their respective folders.

Not liking the $19.99 that I didn't have to spend for my D-Inc.

I will test drive it for the free 30 days and in the meantime see if I cant get the native email app to behave correctly. When I get back into work tomorrow I will check the AD and my exchange box to see if anything there might be the culprit.

I do however see why people like touchdown- its waaaayyyy customizable.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I really wanted to recommend Touchdown too, but you capitalized that you did not want a paid app. I never have met someone that didn't like it.

For me its one downfall is that it only supports syncing 1 Exchange account; which is not a big deal to most people.

BTW - you can't disable the signature in the trial version of Touchdown.

adjuster11#AC

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem, but mine was on a hosted exchange from Mailstreet, 2003.

This is a Nexus issue, possibly set by the server setup but I had to do the same thing,
switch to touchdown.

Same issues, never really sync'd on native, and phone would only last 2-3 hours on the
battery. Usage screens were 66% for Exchange, with gobs of data changing hands, like 4.2 gb in 3 days.

I'm going to have to decide to battle the problem, or just pay the money for touchdown.

Touchdown does work, but my calendar in touchdown seems to be really barren, compared
to the outlook calendar.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm 2003 sounds like a common denominator. I use IT Solutions Exchange 2010 and haven't run into the problem myself. I highly recommend them. Never once experienced an outage & they are 6.95 a month. I'm not sure how they do it for so much less. I'm kind of surprised Mailstreet hasn't switched to 2010 yet.

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I didn't/don't want to use an external app if I don't have to but I also need my mail on my phone to work so the reality of it is....like so many other things in life- priorities.

Its unfortunate that touchdown doesn't seem to integrate with the existing calendar. Now not only do I have 3 email programs to open (yahoo too) my google calendar seems to be separate.

is there a way to integrate them? I like the agenda view I used to have on one of my home screens in my D-Inc. is there a widget that will combine the touchdown calendar and the native one?

I didn't intend this to turn into a touchdown thread but.........

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Turns out it WAS the exchange server or more specifically settings in my user profile on the AD. Its not that they were wrong, they just needed to be reset.
The phone now syncs mail properly and shows no battery usage. :cool:

Reactions: skinnytoo2

ellisz

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Glad it worked out! I use Agenda Widget and it combines my gmail and touchdown calendars. I like having separate work and personal inbox/calendar. Agenda Widget combines them in a nice way so I see it all if I need to.

truthhunter

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
My main issue with the native email app in using Exchange is that it will not put all incoming mail into a single mailbox. I have several folders with exchange and with the native app you have to go into each individual sub-folder to view your mail. If you don't then you'd never know you had mail. I really hope the native app is improved. I just came from a Blackberry to the GNex. I ended up installing Touchdown and it works, but the design is klunky and it looks dated. Separate text boxes for entering email addresses, typing text, and the fact that I cannot view the entire subject line without putting the phone into landscape mode is annoying. But since its the best thing out there, I will live with it.

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I spoke too soon- sync broke again and killed my battery- I removed the account.
I have the same issue with the native app and you are exactly right with what you said about touchdown and for that kind of money it should not be dated and clunky....but it works and has more features than the native app. Android is getting better but is just not ready for prime-time in the business world. I so wish it was.
As soon as a properly functioning Sense rom gets built for this phone I will root and flash.
Tic Toc, Tic Toc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress