Bionic vs Nexus!

wcbratton

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I picked up my Nexus Saturday & for the most part I've been home playing with it on my wifi @ the house.

Went to work today for the 1st time since I got it - the Nexus that is. I've had the Bionic since the day it was released.

Driving to work it was connected to 4G probably 75% of my 40 min drive in. Bionic would have been 100%.

At work I had NO data connection at all. Bionic no problems! I switched the Nexus over to 3G & it stayed connected all day.

Twice before switching over to 3G I went to use my phone & couldn't, also missed 3 calls that went directly to VM. This has NEVER happened with my Bionic.

Well VZW/Samsung/Google has 11 days to push through some updates to fix these issues or I will be returning the Nexus.

Other than the connection issues & the lack of accessories I absolutely love this phone. Screen is gorgeous, speed seems great & ICS is freaking awesome.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I had the Bionic & now have the Nexus. The Nexus dropped the 4G signal at the same exact locations that the Bionic dropped the 4G signal.

The Nexus is actually doing so well in holding a 4G signal that I've been leaving 4G enabled all day. I didn't used to do that with the Bionic because the handoff would take too long between 3G and 4G and it was happening constantly. Maybe they improved network stability in my area, or maybe the Nexus is a tad bit better at holding the signal? Don't know, don't care.

Brandon

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Go to the Verizon Store tomorrow and exchange it. I have had zero issues with the Galaxy Nexus on connectivity and I did have a Bionic, which was not any better. The Bionic has better call quality for sure, and speaker quality, but not signal quality.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I had the Bionic. It did have a better signal quality than my Nexus but I'm sure the next update will fix that.

There is no fixing the other Bionic bugs, and cheap plastic housing.

Also the sales force at Verizon is pushing everyone to the RAZR who looks at the Bionic. It's done.

I'm glad I switched to the Nexus - it's a way better phone and there is no bloat, screwed SD card/Media card/ and all of the other problems it had.

90% of the time I have a good signal with the Nexus.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I had the Bionic for 2 weeks. Had constant data drops from day 1, the data would just drop out and not come back unless i rebooted. Returned it, next one did the same thing. After the second phone i was done.
I think the Bionic was a flawed phone to begin with (after 9 months of waiting no less). Then it just got swallowed up by verizons onslaught of phones over the next 2-3 months.
The only plus i can say about the phone is the quality of the radios when they worked. When the phone worked it got a signal anywhere! Basements, on the water, anywhere! But when they work 20% of the time, who cares?
The nexus is a much better phone hardware and software wise, but if the handoff/connectivity issues are not fixed in a timely manner im gonna loose my mind.

wcbratton

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
With the hours I work I will not be able to go to a store until Saturday morning.

I really want Nexus to work out.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Go to the Verizon Store tomorrow and exchange it. I have had zero issues with the Galaxy Nexus on connectivity and I did have a Bionic, which was not any better. The Bionic has better call quality for sure, and speaker quality, but not signal quality.

I really didn't care the Bionic. Add in the release of the Razrs and support for it will be minimal at best.

I love my GN.

Sent from one of the following: Nexus, Bionic or Xoom.

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I got the Bionic on release day loved the phone except mine had problems with discharging in a mater of hours even on the extended battery. Verizon got me a new one which works great still works great but it got passed on to the girl friend and im rocking the nexus. I could live with either phone they both are great the bionic was just looking to be a slow bloomer in the dev community but is dependable so it was a great phone for the girl friend have not had to fix it once for her.

marcw

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
My first nexus had a dead 4g service.(no 4g at all). I exchanged it for a new nexus. No issues. Maybe you have a bad 4g chip.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
It is odd to read these accounts. For some the BIonic was the best phone ever and the Galaxy Nexus was awful. For many others it was exactly the opposite. But few are in the middle.

I believe you all but am wondering, How is this possible?

wcbratton

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well day 2 @ work & the same thing. The only way my Nexus will have a stable connection is if I turn off 4G.

I will be @ VZW on Saturday morning for a replacement.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
It is odd to read these accounts. For some the BIonic was the best phone ever and the Galaxy Nexus was awful. For many others it was exactly the opposite. But few are in the middle.

Sometimes people misappropriate blame when something goes wrong. The reality is that when you have a problem, it could be a number of things:

1) The phone hardware
2) The OS
3) The network nationally
4) The network locally
5) your phone is defective

Most of the time, no matter what the issue, people quickly just go with #1, assume all phones are pieces of crap, and move on to another phone. The only way to know what's going on is to test multiple phones under specific and consistent conditions. I've done that with my (old) Bionic and my (current) Nexus, and there are no signal issues in my area.

Brandon

wcbratton

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay went to VZW this morning and swapped my GN for another.

Very strange my 1st 1 came with 4.0.2 on it & it was a POS!

This had 4.0.1 on it & by the time I got home the upgrade came through for 4.0.2.

So far this 1 is working much better than the 1st.

Um I wonder if the 1st 1 was a returned phone? Anyway let's see how this 1 works out.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

I still have both of these phones and find them both to be great devices. I have no problems from either one. I prefer the GN because I think the screen is noticeably nicer and larger. I also really like ICS, but most of all, I like the GN best because of all the developer support it has, all the ROMs I can play with, and I love that fast camera. I personally believe 95% of all problems on either phone are related to the apps that people choose to install on them. One of the greatest advantages Android has over other platforms is its openness. This allows for wide open app development, which, while wonderful, can also create a number of poorly written, problematic apps. Unfortunately, when people have problems, it's easier to say the phone sucks than it is to figure out what the problem is. Even realizing this, I still suspect that a very small of people make a great deal deal of noise complaining about every device in every forum section, easily giving someone the impression that all devices are plagued with problems.

DancesWithFarts

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
i experienced the opposite. three bionics that had a laundry list of problems. the GN has bugs too, but they're far more manageable, and i'm sure they'll be fixed with an update and as vzw gets it's 4g lte working.

I bought the GN fully expecting bugs-it's a new phone with a new operating system. what did you expect?

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

wcbratton

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I still have both of these phones and find them both to be great devices. I have no problems from either one. I prefer the GN because I think the screen is noticeably nicer and larger. I also really like ICS, but most of all, I like the GN best because of all the developer support it has, all the ROMs I can play with, and I love that fast camera. I personally believe 95% of all problems on either phone are related to the apps that people choose to install on them. One of the greatest advantages Android has over other platforms is its openness. This allows for wide open app development, which, while wonderful, can also create a number of poorly written, problematic apps. Unfortunately, when people have problems, it's easier to say the phone sucks than it is to figure out what the problem is. Even realizing this, I still suspect that a very small of people make a great deal deal of noise complaining about every device in every forum section, easily giving someone the impression that all devices are plagued with problems.

I still have both devices as well, I very much like the GN for the same reasons as you. Have not rooted the GN yet, wanna make sure I have a good 1 before I proceed. I exactly the same apps on this 1 as the last & it seems to be running fine, so far I have NOT noticed it dropping the data signal which kept happening with the other 1. Can't wait to root it and start having some real fun with it.