Gray vs. blue icons.

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't think this is the same as signal strength, so I'm starting a new thread.

I often have gray signal bars, and they will fluctuate just like regular blue bars. The seem to indicate a "seen" connection, but it is not yet connected. I can't get data services while mu signal icon is gray, but can make and receive phone calls.
The longer I have the phone the longer it seems to take to go from gray to blue. Sometimes I can sit where I know I have a good 4g signal and it will stay gray for 15 to 20 minutes. I have sat in my parking lot after work and waited. Sometimes in the same lot, I get blue immediately. Sometimes I need to reboot the phone for it to pick up the blue signal.

Anybody else having this problem?

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Did you search grey bars in the forums? I only asked because there are lots of threads about this.
Grey means you are not connected to google servers yet. Signal strength means little when going from grey to blue. yes full bars may get you connected to their servers quicker than having 1 bar but it really doesn't matter much.

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I did search, but I'm in the minority on spelling gray with an a and not and e, that's why I didn't find it.

bagarwa

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
And, btw.... you can use a little app called "Fresh Network" which helps you catch data network faster...
e.g. when I turn on my data connection, sometimes the cell just doesn't get it. I run FN, and bam.... I've got 4G.

jcr2112

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
at my house i have to use wifi to maintain a connection to data and i always have blue bars...every once in a while my router will disconnect and my phone will be on its own and all bars go to grey....when that happens i do not recieve any emails, app updates, or any other data until i get back on wifi and go blue again...i dont understand not being connected to google servers, i simply dont have any data period....for me no blue no data...i can make calls but thats it on grey

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not to sure about the Google servers idea either. I'll have all grey bars and not be able to do things like stream music through the amazon app.

It really bugs me when I have to reboot the phone to go from Grey to blue.

I'm gonna try fresh network, thanks for the advise.

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
to reset your connection you dont need to turn the phone off. just put it in and out of airplane mode. this also works when your phone is stuck in 3g instead of 4g

Sara Ford

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
My daughter's phone went from blue to Gray and she stopped getting alerts to all her apps like Facebook,instagram,messaged,etc. We tried everything but after reading about the app called fresh network I instilled it. Wow what a GREAT APP worked right away don't know how just did! Thank you her life would have ended as we know it if not for that lol.....way cool

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
My daughter's phone went from blue to Gray and she stopped getting alerts to all her apps like Facebook,instagram,messaged,etc. We tried everything but after reading about the app called fresh network I instilled it. Wow what a GREAT APP worked right away don't know how just did! Thank you her life would have ended as we know it if not for that lol.....way cool
Searched Playstore. No app by the name of Fresh Network shows up. Myriad of related apps. Could you pinpoint which one.