Google Play Movies on Verizon Gnex

familia5az

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I noticed HD option is more wide screen and not full screen. What does the standard option that I'd usually a buck less look like on Gnex? I was hoping for a full screen option.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I honestly don't know. All the movies I've rented were HD. Ultimately you may just have to rent one to find out. Or, if you have a SD movie at home, encode it to MP4 with Handbrake and then transfer it to your GNex to see how it plays.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
1280×720 or 16:9 is the correct definition for our screens. It's what youtube hd is in. Watch a recentyoutube video and it encompasses the full screen.

Danv1369

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Hoping for a full screen option I guess. I didn't know some people prefer that over widescreen :)

I do not think they are looking for full screen as in 4:3 but are looking for the entire screen of the phone to be filled. The HD movies are 16:9 and will have letter box on top and bottom which is normal since the original Movie is filmed in a different aspect ratio.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Movies are not filmed in 16:9, they're filmed for the movie theater in 1.37:1 or 2.35:1

Think about how tall the movie screen would have to be to be 16:9. It's ultra wide and thin for theaters.

That's why letterbox movies have the black top and bottom .

Anyway, hd is optimized to fit our phones however only the youtube app can get the soft buttons to hide to show it all