Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S3

swissguy591

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So my account is ready for an upgrade on Verizon and I'm looking to gets something new after rocking a Samsung Fascinate for quite some time. I thought I was going to get the Galaxy S3 but after IO and the wonders of Jelly Bean I'm not so certain anymore. Now I've thought about getting an S3 and just flashing a stock rom onto it. The thing is that I've been doing that on my Fascinate for a while and it just never seemed as stable as the stock software was. That brings me to the nexus which runs stock ICS and soon Jelly Bean and would probably run a custom rom better than an S3 (correct me if I'm wrong about that). The only thing holding me back is the camera and processor. So my question for everyone is if the phone is fast enough for your liking and is the camera really that bad?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I have no complaints with my Galaxy Nexus. I've had nothing but a great experience with it.

Yeah, the SIII is nice, but I'm all about Nexus devices.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
That brings me to the nexus which runs stock ICS and soon Jelly Bean and would probably run a custom rom better than an S3 (correct me if I'm wrong about that).

Oh, and about that: soon? Try NOW. Jelly Bean has been working on our phones since less than 24 hours after it was unveiled.

If you're looking to flash ROMs, a Nexus really is the best way to go. The developer community for Nexus devices is pretty much unparalleled.

Reactions: killroy420

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I canceled by SGS3 order once I saw Jelly Bean was ready. I just like playing around with the stock UI and honestly the slight hardware upgrade isn't a big deal to me at this point... especially when I would have to pay full price. I mean do I really need to open facebook a couple tenths of a second faster LOL? No but seriously, I'm not a hardcore multitasker so differences in hardware is marginal to me right now. And I like the Nexus look better at this point. My next 2 devices will be the next iPhone (depending on hardware changes) and the next Nexus device, this thing is just so easy to customize. Oh yeah and I'm overclocked on Jelly Bean with Trinity Kernel giving me very good battery life.

Reactions: icewater106

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I love my nexus. Awesome device. By far the best android device I've had. And trust me I've had quite a few. Now the s3,heck yes I want one. That would be awesome. If I had an upgrade or the option for a straight trade I'd go for it. The camera is awesome. No complaints there and its by far fast enough.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Reactions: icewater106

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently off contract with Verizon using a HTC Trophy the past few months. I like the Windows Phone, easy to navigate around and have been biding my time about an update waiting to see when WP8 comes out. Verizon's lack of support for windows though have gotten me thinking about Android. I've been reading up on the GS3 and really like the looks of the phone to the point I'm seriously thinking of switching to android to give it a try and see first hand if I'd like it.

Which leads me though to asking you current android users if you can give a a little comparison on the GS3 and the Nexus. I read about the Nexus running "vanilla" brand ICS and thus not using the IU skins that Samsung, HTC and others put on the phones. The Nexus running "stock" ICS sounds attractive to me coming from WP7. I use my phone a lot for work with my work Outlook mail, calendar and contacts set up on it. I utilize Skydrive to access files from my work PC on OneNote using the installed Office on WP7 which has OneNote. I use the camera on it a lot to photograph things in the shop to email to equipment service people, vendors and my projects at work. I use it of course for phone calls, texting, and some web surfing to look at news on a handful of apps I have. I'm not big into apps at all or playing games on it. I got a couple on there I mess with once in awhile if I'm waiting killing some time for some reason. I also like listening to my music that I have on it. I get my music through iTunes on my Macbook and sync the Trophy to it with Windows 7 Connector for Mac.

What I'm reading about the GS3 and all the "bloatware" software, apps and widgets on it I'm not liking. I'm really not into having a lot of that stuff on my phone for what I use my phone for. All that said, the Nexus is sounding like maybe to be the better choice for me even though it's not the latest and greatest hardware device like the GS3.

Just looking for some opinions to help me sway one way or another. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

anthony1117

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This phone my not have the latest hardware but when I was playing with an s3 I couldn't really tell a difference. The gnex is one of the sickest phones I've ever own or played with. And if you root and flash roms this does it with ease. So easy to do. I highly recommend this phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
If I had a choice I'd go with the SGSIII. They're both great phones, but the SGSIII has a better camera. That will be the one thing you will not be able to change, no matter what type of OS you put on it. My current Android phone as a descent camera, but not great. I'm always displeased with the photo results. If the camera isn't a big requirement, then I'd say go with the Nexus if you want that pure Android experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
If I had a choice I'd go with the SGSIII. They're both great phones, but the SGSIII has a better camera. That will be the one thing you will not be able to change, no matter what type of OS you put on it. My current Android phone as a descent camera, but not great. I'm always displeased with the photo results. If the camera isn't a big requirement, then I'd say go with the Nexus if you want that pure Android experience.

The camera on the nexus is great. Especially after the jellybean update. Not to say that I had any complaints when on ICS.

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
This phone my not have the latest hardware but when I was playing with an s3 I couldn't really tell a difference. The gnex is one of the sickest phones I've ever own or played with. And if you root and flash roms this does it with ease. So easy to do. I highly recommend this phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ok, I have to show my ignorance here and ask what is to root and flash rome? I see different mentions of that in different forums never knowing for sure what people are talking about.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
The camera on the nexus is great. Especially after the jellybean update. Not to say that I had any complaints when on ICS.

so, image quality is better on jb? or are you referring to functionality

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

The camera in the Trophy has been my one real disappointment with that phone. It's not very good at all. As mentioned in my first post, I use my phone camera a lot now for stuff at work, so a good camera on the phone is something somewhat high on my priority list for my next phone.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I have to show my ignorance here and ask what is to root and flash rome? I see different mentions of that in different forums never knowing for sure what people are talking about.

fair question especially when your new to android. what you'll want to do is start with reading here: http://www.androidcentral.com/root

rooting your phone allows you to have full admin rights to your device which then allows for you to install roms, themes, and different apps in the play store specifically designed for rooted phones.

pcotton

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Get the Galaxy S3, it will only be a couple of weeks before they have a stable port of Jelly Bean on it, and the hardware upgrade is well worth it.

Also, I might add that for those who just use their phone on a daily basis, the Touchwiz UI isn't bad either.

Sent from my Rooted S3 using AOKP

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I was planing on getting a GSIII but changed my mind after I got JB on my Nexus. After using it for a week I can't go back to ICS.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
id say this is a great topic because its very hard to choose between the two. for me, i'm currently using an iPhone 4s and have been going back and forth between these 2 devices.

i went by a sprint store and played with an S3 today. very very nice hardware, but i prefer the software on the Gnex..lol.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think it depends on what you have now and if you will have to pay full retail or not. For instance if I have to pay full retail, that's at least $600 for an SGS3. While you can get a nexus for $300 off eBay in great condition. Is the SGS3 $300+ better than the nexus? I dot think so. But if you can get the SGS3 at discount you might as well go that route at this point. For me personally, I'm sticking to my nexus because I have to pay full retail. In a couple months I may check it out again as the prices will be down and developers will have had a lot of time for it. Just my thoughts.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
id say this is a great topic because its very hard to choose between the two. for me, i'm currently using an iPhone 4s and have been going back and forth between these 2 devices.

i went by a sprint store and played with an S3 today. very very nice hardware, but i prefer the software on the Gnex..lol.

The nexus is by far a superior android device. It does more than I could ever use it for and jellybean has made is so fast. Its ridiculous. I'm very happy with it... personally I wouldn't mind taking an S3. I like the screen size as its bigger than the nexus. On top of that when I had my charge I grew to like touchwiz. I don't see all the fuss about it. Vanilla jellybean and ICS is very nice too and I'm sure there will be a vanilla rom available for the S3 in no time.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I think it depends on what you have now and if you will have to pay full retail or not. For instance if I have to pay full retail, that's at least $600 for an SGS3. While you can get a nexus for $300 off eBay in great condition. Is the SGS3 $300+ better than the nexus? I dot think so. But if you can get the SGS3 at discount you might as well go that route at this point. For me personally, I'm sticking to my nexus because I have to pay full retail. In a couple months I may check it out again as the prices will be down and developers will have had a lot of time for it. Just my thoughts.

All is very true. I wouldn't pay full price for the S3. Its just way too much money that really doesn't justify itself. Now a discount on the other hand. Yeah take the deal. I know a guy that works at a Verizon retail store and I'm gonna ask him if he can get me a better price than full retail. Then attempt to sell my nexus to cover the costs.