What does it mean when I enable wireless & wifi (or 4gLTE)?

whitehathacker

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
When I am at home I usually connect via wifi to my access point and turn off Mobile data (to save my monthly Verizon wireless data-usage). But what I wanted to know is how the data gets distributed between the AP & mobile when I do have mobile data enabled.

Does the phone first try to use 4G then the AP? Or if there some load balancing going between the two?

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Depending on the phone and the carrier, it will use one or the other. (It's better for the carrier, of course, if you use 4G whenever you can.) There's no balancing or dual connecting going on - it's one or the other. Just turn data off when you're home. Data ON-OFF makes it easy. It's a widget that puts an icon on your home screen to turn data on and off and let you see which it is (grayed out if it's off).

whitehathacker

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Depending on the phone and the carrier, it will use one or the other. (It's better for the carrier, of course, if you use 4G whenever you can.) There's no balancing or dual connecting going on - it's one or the other. Just turn data off when you're home. Data ON-OFF makes it easy. It's a widget that puts an icon on your home screen to turn data on and off and let you see which it is (grayed out if it's off).

Say thanks, I just read also that connecting the mobile drains your battery so connecting to my wireless at home should help make my battery charge last longer. Great widget!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The phone SHOULD bypass the cellular data connection if you're on a WiFi network. It USED to be that the cellular data symbol (4G or LTE in your case) would disappear when you were on a WiFi connection, the newer versions of Android have just greyed them out instead, possibly causing your confusion.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member