Galaxy Nexus user: Saw SG Note II - BUT...

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my Samsung Galaxy Nexus to the Note II. I use the web a lot on my phone and I'd really like a larger screen. I dropped by the Sprint store to check out the new phone. It's very impressive and the screen seems even brighter than mine. However, once comparing the two phones side by side, because both screens have the same resolution, they show the same amount of info, except one is larger. This is a bummer.

The main difference is that, images seem a bit lager on the Note II, but the website real estate is the same. Meaning the screen doesn't show any more info, or any expanded parts of the website, it just shows them bigger.

This is not exactly an upgrade. Reminds me of those large font books made for people with poor eye sight.

Your thoughts?

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I too stopped by a Sprint store today. I liked that I could read web pages without zooming.
I didn't check but I have to assume watching video on the note II is well worth it for me.
I have many movies, TV episodes and boxing matches on my phone, and from time to time I also watch Netflix.

Since I use my phone more than my laptop, I think it will work well for me.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Right, everything is larger, which is good and certainly will be better for video use, no question. But I was hoping that it would show more of web pages, but it only shows them larger. Less zooming is also a plus.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Were you using the stock browser? trying using a 3rd party browser like Opera or Dophin and set them to desktop instead of mobile optimized.

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, on the above. I also tried the font size. The difference in coverage is not that much. The bottom line is that both phones are 1280X720, super amoled, just one is about 1" larger. Don't get me wrong, the screen is simply amazing. And the new phone feels good in hand. Also it fits in pants pockets too. It's good size.

DCoy82

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I do a lot of excel reporting and I have a couple of spreadsheets that have so many calculations that my Galaxy Nexus will not open them up properly, but when I open it up on the Note 2 it is able to handle the many calculations just fine because of the increased RAM and quad core CPU. This is the main reason I'm wanting to upgrade, as well as the SPen and large screen. These 3 things for me are invaluable in my profession.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

SHIVA77

Banned
Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I can totally sympathize. I want a larger screen because I don't want to have to carry a laptop or a tablet plus my phone. I think the 5.5" is a good compromise. And it would certainly make a difference in viewing PDF or MS Office files.

I would probably get a larger Bluetooth keyboard to carry with me on trips and actually ditch the laptop.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I had the GNexus last year and I even tried the dpi mod to get more out of the screen (which I would expect we could do the same here) and honestly, it was nice having more on the screen but at what costs to my eyes. I like having a larger screen and the ability to read pages on the go without my tablet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez