Galaxy Note 2 vs. Droid DNA-- which Verizon device deserves our money this holiday season?

jbyinc

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Andrew / Folks,
I have been monitoring this thread since you started it. Thanks. I am in precisely the same position. Been eligible for my VZW upgrade since about July this year. I try to get the best phone out there to indeed last at least 2 years. Imagine, I still carry an original Droid Incredible, but the phone is close to being dead! Until the Samsung Galaxy III nothing that came out even remotely made me consider an upgrade. Before the Droid DNA, I was looking at the Motorola HD Maxx or the Galaxy III. But I really like HTC Sense so I had been waiting for another great HTC device and when the DNA came out, I initially said: That is my new phone right there!

I was in a VZW store before the Note II came out and played with the DNA for a bit, and it seemed a real good phone. But there were two Cons for me: No internal memory with on 16 GB on board and no removable battery, but somehow, I could probably live with both. I use my work cell much more than my own cell. I also know a friend that has the original Galaxy Note and to me it looked humongous, when I heard the Note II would be even bigger I assumed Samsung had completely lost their minds! However, I am over 6 feet with large hands, and the Note I was really easy for me to hold. Also to this day, I have trouble typing on the keyboards on my Incredible or iPhone 4 which is my work phone. That is one MAJOR reason why suddenly I have decided to reconsider the Note II. In addition I have a Nexus 7 and I now use the Nexus much more than my good ole Incredible.

Like an earlier post noted, I am considering getting the Note II, selling my Nexus 7 and then getting the Nexus 10 instead. My problem here is I have grown to really, really like my Nexus 7 (I had the first honeycomb Samsung Galaxy 10.1 but returned it due to some screen issues). But since the Android 4.2 and 4.2.1 upgrades, the Nexus is now freezing up like crazy and is becoming very upsetting, not sure why and what is the solution. Another reason why I am thinking of getting rid of it.

So back to the phones, and the choice. I am no longer as "techie" as I used to be. I am not really into Facebook, I visit it maybe once or twice a month. I barely use my twitter account but I do love my Google+. I used Pandora on my Incredible, but stopped as it never streamed continually and always lost the signals (I assume that is due to still being on the 3G network), So I listen mainly to my Google Music albums. I use Hulu plus fairly a lot. And one of my best features of the Nexus 7, is reading books. I have been scratching my head to try to decide what should be the criteria to use to decide which to choose, and still cannot decide what that should be!

But I will now say this, I read that Samsung is now planning a "big surprise" at CES in January, so suddenly I wonder if I should not simply wait for that to see what comes out! Do you have any ideas on what Samsung has up its sleeves? is it a new tablet or indeed the Galaxy S4? I would hate to get the Note II only for it to become ancient by summer 2013...

On that note, can we get the phone companies to release new phones every two years to also concide with our expiring two year carrier contracts...? :-$ :p

Anndrew Vacca

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Day 4-- Durability

Well this is a fitting follow up to my accessory dilemma. Got to work today and took both devices out of my jacket pockets. Upon closer inspection of my DNA, I noticed a scratch on the soft-touch back. It's not super noticeable, but it's there, and that's enough to really grind my gears. This could have been avoided had I found a case for it this past weekend, but we all know how that turned out.

This leads me to my next question-- which device is more durable? Putting cases aside, which one will age more gracefully? I'm extremely careful with my devices, to the point of obsession, and I was able to scratch the DNA with nothing more than a quarter floating around my pocket. The Note 2, on the other hand, has a finish less attractive than the DNA, yet it's less likely to show blemishes.

Has anybody dinged/scratched/scuffed or otherwise marked up their device yet? If so, how?

borgdog

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I love my Note II, but my officemate recently got the DNA so I've been able to play with it a bit outside of the store. I must say the DNA is one sexy phone. I wish my Note had that soft touch back as I'm just not a fan of the glossy, but I am less a fan of cases, all my phones run naked. As of yet, no noticeable marks on the Note, it lives by itself in my left front jeans pocket, nothing else ever goes in that pocket.

Nightscape

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Only advantage the dna has is the screen and thinness. Other than that it's just another android phone with sense with nothing revolutionary, just the same old features.

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

The dna is actually thicker than the note 2. The tapered edges makes it feel thinner than it is though.

jbyinc

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Btw. Does the Note II come with a set of headphones? I assume the DNA comes with a set of Dr Dre beats headphones which would probably be another plus on the DNA.

MiXoLoGiSt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Btw. Does the Note II come with a set of headphones? I assume the DNA comes with a set of Dr Dre beats headphones which would probably be another plus on the DNA.

No the Note II doesn't come with headphones. Not the Verizon or AT&T versions at least.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed any scrapes, scratches, and or dings. But, the DNA is a finger print magnet on both sides. Fortunately, I don't stare at the back so it doesn't both me much. Also, the little bit of taper on the screen makes wiping the display a breeze and I have yet to get aggravated about lint gathering along the bezel.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

orgelbau

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a small gouge on the chrome ring just above the volume rocker. It was caused by dropping it onto the rim of a wicker basket from about 12-18 inch height. The chrome ring hit at just the right angle to take a chunk out. Not happy at all, but just about any naked device would have sustained similar damage in this case. If it were aluminum instead of plastic I would be looking at a small dent instead. Would have never happened if any retail establishment near me actually had a case in stock for the Note 2. The device is selling in unexpected numbers in SE Michigan. The Verizon rep told me it is outselling the DNA, Razr HD/Maxx and iPhone 5 at his location and is only being outpaced by the Galaxy S3, but not by much.

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Andrew / Folks,

But I will now say this, I read that Samsung is now planning a "big surprise" at CES in January, so suddenly I wonder if I should not simply wait for that to see what comes out! Do you have any ideas on what Samsung has up its sleeves? is it a new tablet or indeed the Galaxy S4? I would hate to get the Note II only for it to become ancient by summer 2013...

No S4 at CES. If I were to guess it will be about flex screen and new exynos processor phone or tablet, and Windows phone and tablets. I heard something about an android tv somewhere also.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Regarding durability, this goes back into the samsung plastic argument. You really cant beat the plastic on the note for being durable. On top of that if you scratch the back, a new battery cover for the S3 was $5 so it couldnt be much more for the note. Cant put a new back on the dna...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Regarding durability, this goes back into the samsung plastic argument. You really cant beat the plastic on the note for being durable. On top of that if you scratch the back, a new battery cover for the S3 was $5 so it couldnt be much more for the note. Cant put a new back on the dna...

They are 13.99 because of the NFC antenna built in.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Ah, well still much cheaper than, well, ypu cant replace the back of the dna if you mess it up.

jbyinc

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

Beyond the back cover, the added drawback is the irreplaceable battery on the DNA.

I stopped off at the Verizon store yesterday to look at the Note II and also a second look at the DNA. I was able to type with one hand, but not the easiest thing to do. And Ironically I did not mind the Titanium color, much better that the cheap looking white. I liked the ability to have handwritten notes with the S Pen. I have to say I am leaning towards the Note II...

And by the way there are already Note II cases out from my fav. case store SEIDIO. DNA cases still under development.

varucell

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the note 2 over the last week and man it is a powerhouse. The battery life is insane and I am a really heavy user. I had the DNA before and would have to have it on a charger at least once during the day.

Mco119

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Beyond the back cover, the added drawback is the irreplaceable battery on the DNA.

I stopped off at the Verizon store yesterday to look at the Note II and also a second look at the DNA. I was able to type with one hand, but not the easiest thing to do. And Ironically I did not mind the Titanium color, much better that the cheap looking white. I liked the ability to have handwritten notes with the S Pen. I have to say I am leaning towards the Note II...

And by the way there are already Note II cases out from my fav. case store SEIDIO. DNA cases still under development.

You know, if you can scan the Web for DNA vs. Note 2 discussions (and there are many of them), you'll see a common trend emerging: many people have mentioned returning a DNA for a Note, but very few, if any, seem to be trading in their Notes for DNAs. It's just such a well-rounded device..there really aren't any compromises to "get used to," assuming you like the size in the first place.

And, yes, I also think the "titanium-grey" models look pretty nice. They have a much more serious and premium look than the white models..to my eye anyway.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
You know, if you can scan the Web for DNA vs. Note 2 discussions (and there are many of them), you'll see a common trend emerging: many people have mentioned returning a DNA for a Note, but very few, if any, seem to be trading in their Notes for DNAs.

Sooks, you around?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
You know, if you can scan the Web for DNA vs. Note 2 discussions (and there are many of them), you'll see a common trend emerging: many people have mentioned returning a DNA for a Note, but very few, if any, seem to be trading in their Notes for DNAs. It's just such a well-rounded device..there really aren't any compromises to "get used to," assuming you like the size in the first place.

And, yes, I also think the "titanium-grey" models look pretty nice. They have a much more serious and premium look than the white models..to my eye anyway.

Agreed...exept my white phone killed your gray phone...ha ha

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch