So I'm taking the plunge...

gdubmedia#IM

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey all-

As with many here, I'm finally taking the plunge, leaving the iOS world, and jumping headfirst back into Android with the Note 2 this week (as soon as payday hits). I've found a TON of sueful info, and have been lurking for awhile, making sure I've got all my bases covered for when I finally get this glorious piece of epicness in my hands. But a couple things I have yet to see any info on (through my incessant Googling) is info on the the motion gestures and another launcher (ie. Nova Prime), and how Big Red's 4G data works on tiered plans.

I guess I just really want to know if the motion gestures still work if you have another launcher installed. I have the free Nova on my Nexus 7, and want to upgrade to Prime on the Note, but I don't want to lose the ability to have the motion gestures (in case I want to actually use them). Is this going to be an issue with Nova Prime?

And my 4G question: I was planning on snagging a 32gb SD card for music and carrying anime with me on the go, but was planning on using the Play Music app for streaming in the car. I'm never in a place without wi-fi (starbucks, home, office, and familie's houses) unless I'm driving or at a gig (occasional club DJ here). If using the 4G all the time (besides the battery hit) hows the hit on your data plan? I was planning on going with a 2gb on my family share line, but I'm not so sure if I should go higher, or just get a bigger SD card.

Thanks for the help!!

cornettbr

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Me and my wife have a 6gb data plan and between the two of us so far we've only used 2gb I would recommend more than two even with WiFi. If you have any questions add me on Google talk cornettbr@gmail.com I don't mind helping out I know a lot about iOS and android and just recently switched over but have had android phones until the iPhone 5.

Sent from a really big phone.

infmethod

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If those songs on your Google Play are in the cloud, you'll hit up some decent data. I just started using my Google Play songs again and have used up about 400MB in just a couple days with that alone. For some reason, streaming those songs are much more data intensive than say Pandora, etc. At least in my experience!

And just a side note, well played, sir! Congrats on getting on board the best mobile platform on the market!

gdubmedia#IM

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys!! I'm super stoked to grab this phone. I've been doing a lot of research the last month on everything from features, battery life, apps, carrier specific models, update time frames, Best Buy price matching, and more. I don't think I've put this much effort into choosing an electronic device ever. haha

I have a feeling I'm going to be grabbing a bigger SD card, and just doing what I do with my iPhone now...transfer tracks as I want them, and use Google Music as a backup service (pin the random album I might want when I'm on wifi for offline listening later). I'm really liking the design Z-Player app (I was always a HUGE fan of the Zune), and can't wait to try it out. One other question I had is how much data does occasional use of 4G hotspot use? My wife and I both have wifi only tablets, and I would use it for the every-so-often time we're in car and she wants interwebs, or if the wifi is sucking wind at Starbucks.

Thanks for the great replies. I'm SO excited to finally get my hands on this device. I can finally get rid of my desk-filling obsession with post-its by using the S-Pen and the Moleskine app. Which will make my boss very happy ;)

gdubmedia#IM

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have an answer to my question about using Nova Prime, etc, with the motion gestures? I'm putting my homescreen together on my Nexus in preparation, and I really don't want to lose the motion support by using a new launcher. I can't imagine it would effect that at all, unless those are tied to the TW launcher itself...

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have an answer to my question about using Nova Prime, etc, with the motion gestures? I'm putting my homescreen together on my Nexus in preparation, and I really don't want to lose the motion support by using a new launcher. I can't imagine it would effect that at all, unless those are tied to the TW launcher itself...

I use Nova and as far as I can tell all gestures work. Screen shots, the auto call feature when you put the phone to your ear, silence when you cover the screen and I can't think of the rest right now but you should be good. Enjoy the phone. I have had mine a week and I can't believe all the research I did before buying. I had no reason to worry. It's an amazing device. You could not pay me to go back to iPhone now.

Sent from my Really Big Phone

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Verizon can also give you a heads up on how much gigs are used when streaming.i think 15 hours uses 1gig....They can tell you. I have downloaded CDs music and its not against my data. Mobile hot spot is a free service on the data plans that are tiered....not unlimited. Using it goes against data. Don't know how much it uses. I have the jetpack that I use with my.laptop and tablet. Its 20 a month to use. I like it. Had it before I switched to the share everything plan. Frees up my phone. Its secure too which public wifi isn't.
Welcome to the Note2 and to Android Central

Sent from my Samsung G tjinkalaxy Note

gdubmedia#IM

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm super excited...bout to go to Best Buy and pick the little beast up. Hopefully they have a halfway decent deal on SD cards...I hate waiting on Amazon shipping....haha :)