mute/vibrate settings

wrightmd93

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Note2 on Sunday, and I'm really enjoying it. Big step up from my Incredible 2.

I'm still in the process of getting it all set up, and I've run into something that has me stumped.

On my incredible, there was an htc widget that toggled between normal/vibrate/silent. It worked great, and I used it somewhat frequently.

On the Note2, I didn't see such a widget, so I downloaded one. Then I discovered the toggle in the notification shade, which seemed even better (since it was built-in).

The problem I noticed is that it only affects the ringer and system sounds, but not notifications. In searching around, everyone seems to be upset that ringer/notification were combined in ICS/JB, which isn't what I'm seeing here, so I'm guessing it's a samsung customization.

The behavior that I want is a toggle that will go from normal/vibrate/silent for ringtone/system AND notifications. I don't want to be in a meeting and have the phone making sounds every time an email/text comes in, but I also don't want to do have to adjust the settings separately every time I need to set it to mute/vibrate.

Am I missing something? Do I need an app? Does the app need to know about some special samsung customization?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
yes you are missing something. when I use the down volume button to reduce ringer to ZERO, the other two elements follow suit. The only thing that doesn't reduce to zero is MEDIA.

wrightmd93

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. So it sounds like maybe it's something with my particular phone. I installed a couple of sound toggle widgets. I wonder if one of them may have done something to mess up the sound settings. Any ideas on what I might do to figure out what the deal is?

I found a thread on the xda forums from a couple people with similar problems. In one case, the guy had to do a hard reset on his phone which fixed the issue.

I've spent the last 2 days getting things configured on this phone, and I'd rather not have to go back and redo too much of it. If I were to do a backup with Kies, and then a hard reset and restore, how much would I lose? I'm not concerned about pictures or music, since I have those backed up. Mostly just apps/settings/etc.

Thanks!

wrightmd93

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was able to fix my problem.

I decided I didn't need to do a backup because I didn't have enough data on the device to worry about it. No pictures, and my music is on the SD card.

So I did a hard reset on the phone. When it came back up, I let it do a restore from my google account backup. Then I checked the volume settings, and realized that the same issue was present. So I did another hard reset, and this time when it came back up I didn't let it restore from my google account. I also pulled the battery just in case.

This time when it came back up, it was working properly. I'm not sure if it was a problem out of the box that I didn't notice, or if it was something else -- perhaps an app that I installed. Just glad it's working again.