Verizon Software Update

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Just noticed something when ending a call, if you press and hold end it brings up a call termination screen. Is this a new feature or some part of an app?

2xJ

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm also getting the lag/slowdown when scrolling through old text messages. Disappointing there. But overall the phone seems to be much faster, and I'm getting improved battery life. Used the browser for a long period last night and it held up much better than before the update.

My biggest complaint is it seems this update removed a minor feature that I really liked in the keyboard function. You used to be able to hold down a key and it would bubble a choice of a capital letter or the alternate symbol (ex. *, #). Now it only offers the symbol, you have to manually hit shift to get the capital letter. Looked to see if this was an option/toggle somewhere in the input settings but it doesn't seem like it. I checked on a Galaxy SIII and this seems to be the norm. Anyone know of a way to get this feature back/turn it on? Thanks. :)

brandonv79

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I love that the folders auto close now when you open the app. Less menus to back out of. But my volume seems to be a lot quieter than before. Not in call. But the ringer, notifications, and music through both headphones and internal speaker. Anybody else notice this?

bandit4

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Did you guys ever figure out the update failed issue you were having? I have tried 3 different sd cards. Formatted 1 of them. Tried it on Wi-fi only. Tried it with it plugged in to charger and without. Stock phone, never rooted or tried. Keep getting 'update failed' whenever I try the update. Amy Thoughts? Thanks!

bandit4

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
25.3 GB on the sd card. I also tried it with an 8 gb formatted card and a 16 gb card. I tried with the phone plugged in and charging. Tried with 100% battery, 50% battery, etc....Cant figure this one out. Only thing I didnt do is a factory reset and then try. I hate going through the hassle of redoing my whole phone. Thanks!

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
25.3 GB on the sd card. I also tried it with an 8 gb formatted card and a 16 gb card. I tried with the phone plugged in and charging. Tried with 100% battery, 50% battery, etc....Cant figure this one out. Only thing I didnt do is a factory reset and then try. I hate going through the hassle of redoing my whole phone. Thanks!

It doesn't matter how much memory you have on your external card, it's how much you have available internal. If it's closer to full you won't get the update.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I deferred my update that downloaded several days ago until I could research for possible pitfalls of it. Did lots of research over the last few days and did my update a few hours ago in this manner. FYI, my phone has never been rooted and is bone stock.

1. Backed up phone with My Backup Pro.
2. Re-enabled all the built in apps that I had disabled (total of 18).
3. Rebooted phone (should have just powered down, but wanted to make sure all was well).
4. Powered down phone and cleared the phone's cache.
5. Rebooted again and proceeded to install update. Updated failed, I'm guessing because it was stored in the cache?
6. Went to settings-about phone-software update and downloaded it again. Install went fine- took about 15 minutes including the optimizing of my 189 apps.
7. Disabled all 18 previously disabled apps and rebooted phone again.
8. Shut down phone and cleared cache again and rebooted.

Not sure if doing the update this way helped the install, but all is well with my phone. Loving the update so far after a couple of hours messing with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

stormin_suzie

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon Software Update - SVoice - Camera

Prior to update I could take a picture using SVoice. I've double checked my settings - all is in order. Using SVoice, I can wake up my phone, open the camera, but when I say, "shoot, snap or cheese" nothing... anyone else have this issue?

stiboost21

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Anyone figure out why your personalized background pictures in SMS are darker than before? Also, anyone figure out why scrolling through texts lags now since the update?

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site

Also, anyone figure out why scrolling through texts lags now since the update?

I heard about this issue before I got the update, but I notice no lag when scrolling through texts or through individual contact's texts. I've tried several different times and all seems fine on my phone after the update. I wiped my phone's cache before and after the update- maybe that has something to do with it.

stiboost21

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I heard about this issue before I got the update, but I notice no lag when scrolling through texts or through individual contact's texts. I've tried several different times and all seems fine on my phone after the update. I wiped my phone's cache before and after the update- maybe that has something to do with it.

What cache were you referring to clearing?

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site

What cache were you referring to clearing?

Found this somewhere on the net in another forum and have it saved.

1. Turn off phone

2. Hold volume up key and home key

3. Still holding those keys now press and hold power till you see the green android then release all buttons.

4. Use the volume up and down to highlight the option you want and the power button to select it.

Options when in system recovery:

1. reboot system now
2. apply update from ADB
3. apply update from external storage
4. wipe data/factory reset
5. wipe cache partition
6. apply update from cache

Choose option #5- this will not delete any data, it just removes left over junk files from the Android OS. I have wiped this cache on my Android phones on a regular basis for the last couple of years. Choosing the incorrect option above, as in #4, will put phone back to factory defaults, so do this at your own risk and/or back everything up first if you're unsure what to do. After the cache is cleared, choose reboot system now and your phone will boot up normally.

Sent from my Samsung GT 2 7.0 using Tapatalk 2.